Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: can you do autograft on the patella or only allograft?  (Read 2104 times)

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
can you do autograft on the patella or only allograft?
« on: June 13, 2007, 05:41:20 PM »
Hey everyone,
I'm going in next week to get under my kneecap cleaned out, but am worried that I could be growing a lesion under there.  I have lesions on both of my femoral condyles, so it is a possibility.  I have not done a whole lot of research on OATS.  I understand how it works on the weight bearing portion of the knee, but don't know much about the kneecap.  My question is can you only do an allograft on the patella and not an autograft?  Also, what are OBI plugs? Thanks.

Casey
LOA #2 and hardware removal 12/15/08-new cartilage from ACI looks "GOOD"
LOA on left knee 3/18/07
ACI and HTO on left knee 10/22/07
scope of right knee on 6/21/07
microfracture left knee 3/18/05

Offline DJK

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
Re: can you do autograft on the patella or only allograft?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 04:48:31 PM »
Casey, I have had the OBI plugs done to my patella...20mm defect so 2 10mm plugs were used...they are a synthetic cartilage plug that kinda pourous which help to retain the protiens, etc that are needed for good cartilage growth and healing...I will be 1 year post op in August, they seemed to have helped somewhat, but now I believe another area has degraded as I get stabbing pain behind my kneecap will be seeing my OS soon to discuss further options...adding more OBI plugs may be a solution.

Anyways heres a link to the site...http://www.obi.com/
Hope that helps--DJK
L knee
scoped/debridement 10/02
Fulkerson 12/03
got unscrewed 9/04
scoped/debridement/LR 8/05
Allograft w/OBI plugs 8/10/06

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
Re: can you do autograft on the patella or only allograft?
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 01:35:12 AM »
DJK,
Thanks for the information.  I lucked out and did not need an OATS on my patella.  My OS found two little lesions on my patella, but said that he did not feel that I needed OATS at this time.  However, the info was helpful and I plan to pass the info onto my brother who also has a lesion on his patella.  I hope your appointment went well and that you soon get some pain relief.
Casey
LOA #2 and hardware removal 12/15/08-new cartilage from ACI looks "GOOD"
LOA on left knee 3/18/07
ACI and HTO on left knee 10/22/07
scope of right knee on 6/21/07
microfracture left knee 3/18/05

support