Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Can You Over Ice?  (Read 4892 times)

perseus

Can You Over Ice?
« on: June 29, 2007, 06:20:10 PM »
Is icing general okay for managing general knee problems. Does it actually help or just ease the pain. What is the most important part of RICE therapy, if you can't do all four at the time. And is it still worthwhile icing sometime later after an injury?

Offline hoppy68005

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • Patella Hardware
Re: Can You Over Ice?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 07:07:11 PM »
Icing has several benefits. It helps some people with pain. It also helps reduce swelling. Those are the reasons I use it. Heat can also be of benefit, but not always is the case. Every part of RICE is equally important. You don't have to do them all at the same time. But try to do them as often as possible. Life can get busy, but it shouldn't be so busy that you can't heal yourself. In regards to icing after surgery, it should be ok to use. Though check with your doctor to make sure. Also, ice can damage your skin if left on to long. Depending on the type of ice pack you're using, it could be 15 minutes to a half an hour or so. Just remember one key thing, take care of that knee. Nothing will ever replace it.

perseus

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 07:39:10 PM »
Thanks, I wish I'd have taken care of them years ago, but I abused them in my youth.  :(

Offline L. Thomas.net

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Louann in Tennessee/USA
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 03:15:30 AM »
I don't think you can over ice but you can get it too cold and end up with frostbite.  You always need something between your leg and the ice besides plastic.

I have a cryotherapy unit that is the trick if you need to ice.  They are fairly expensive if you don't have insurance that will cover one.  I will warn you though..Donjoy Iceman has a 30 day warranty and if anything happens to it the entire unit has to be replaced.

If ice helps you and you think you will continue using it...you would love a cryotherapy unit.
Mulitple Knee surgeries/ TKA: 06  
Left Hip femoroplasty : 08   
Post Op- TKAinTN 06: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=33906.

Offline Kris

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • My Wonderful Friend--Hobo RIP
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2007, 04:00:37 AM »
I ice and heat my knee.  I just had surgery June 20 (knee replacement) and now I'm told to ice the top and heat the bottom.  The ice will help with the swelling and pain issues on the top and the heat will help the stretching of the muscles on the bottom were they are tightening up.  It's kind of strange using heat and ice at the same time.

Kris
Right  LR on 2/8/02,  7/11/03, and 11/5/05
Left leg LR on 5/02, 4/05
Right achilles tendon lengthened on 2/01.   Synvisc injections on 2/17/03. 
Cortisone on 12/03 and 3/04, 12/05. 
Proximal Reallignment Right 5/23/05
R Microfracture 5/19/06
PFJR 6/20/07