Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Anyone with ankle experience...NEED SOME HELP!!!  (Read 2287 times)

Offline Clarinet'09

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • Scars are like tatoos...but with better stories!!
    • Padfoot13cl
Anyone with ankle experience...NEED SOME HELP!!!
« on: June 28, 2007, 04:33:16 AM »
Sorry...didnt really know where this one would fit...but mods feel free to put it where you think it would better fit  ;D  ::)  :P !!!
Well im back on the crutches cause my right knee cant handle it.....and now my left knee is playing up WAYYY WORSE!!! The pain is horrible...i cant remeber the last time i slept. And on top of all this....i think i screwed up my ankle too  :-\ . For the past month its been popping really bad and when it pops it just sorta hurts real bad and gives out and its been swelling pretty bad and getting discolored. So me and my momma think ive done something to it. Shes thinks ive sprained it....but i was looking the symptoms up and they fit torn ligament symptoms really close   . But im not gonna throw in the towell yet   . GRRRR!!!!!! CAN YOU BELIEVE MY LUCK?!?!? What do ya think....anyone here had any ankle problems that can help me?!?
Chelsea - 17 years old - soccer + band = LIFE
4/29/06  left knee popped followed by intense pain while playing soccer
5/30/06  Bone spur removal
4/20/07  LR right knee
11/19/07 LR left knee
1/16/08  MUA left knee
11/03/08 LR recon, MPFL recon right knee
4/20/09 LR recon, MPFL recon left knee

Offline bungleg

• Regular Poster
  • my tpf hardware
Re: Anyone with ankle experience...NEED SOME HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 05:03:19 AM »
chels sounds like may be you are  doing to much to soon, my ankles played up bad at first like a sprain type pain sometimes I could hardly get out of bed in the morning and they had never been a prob before.my ankle on the left (my inj knee side ) turned black and stayed that way for about 4 to 5 months ,you have to give your knees time to heal and try not to do to much, the reason the ankle gos black is because your heart pumps the blood around your body and your calf mustles pump the blood back out of your legs to your heart, so because when we are inj any internal blood lose in our leg ,knee goes straight to or ankle and turns it black untill we start walking again, I found that by pumping my foot up and down as if operating an accelerator on a car it helped but the side efect was my ankle would get sore from this as well,not just a couple of minutes 1/2 hour at a time,it also helps the foot and ankle from becoming cold which is poor circulation as well, also keep the leg raised wilst doing it and when ever else you are sitting try to raise your leg.
keep your chin up and keep persevering you will get there it just takes time
rick
30/08/05 tpf, plate 8 screws and bone graft, pivot brace 5degs movment, 12weeks nwb, pt, leg stuck at 45deg
30/11/05 got leg straight phone books came in handy,rom 60degs,hydro,pt, start wb increase 10kg per week
01/03/06 full wb rom 95
may 06 rom 110
nov 06 screws + plate removed arthroscopy

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 09:51:08 AM »
Hi there,

I have had ankle instability in addition to my knee so know how annoying it can be. My instability was really severe and ended up having surgery to reconstruct my ankle last year.

Some basic things you can do are to ice it and elevate it. You could also use a compression bandage to help with the swelling. I get it checked out too just to make sure it's ok.

Good luck ! 8)
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 02:04:46 PM »
I just had my 5th surgery on the same ankle a month ago so I know a little about the subject. Just one technical note. Sprained ankle is just a generic term. What usually happens during a sprain is that you tear the ligaments in your ankle. Sometimes they tighten back up if it's a minor sprain. Sometimes they don't, that's when it leads to trouble.

Offline Clarinet'09

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Padfoot13cl
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 03:42:08 PM »
Okay...so going off what you said, jathib, would it be a problem that ive "sprianed" this ankle about 6+times?!?  ??? Could it be that finally ive just torn something?!?
Thanks for your help Rick, kjwilkin, and jathib!!!
4/20/07  LR right knee
11/19/07 LR left knee
1/16/08  MUA left knee

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 04:55:29 PM »
If you mean you've rolled it over 6+ times then you are doomed to keep repeating that process. If the ligaments get stretched beyond a limit they won't ever tighten up again. Kind of like pulling a rubber band to its breaking limit. If that's the case you'll probably need surgery to tighten up the ligaments.

Offline Clarinet'09

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Padfoot13cl
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 06:26:43 PM »
What exactly does "Rolled it over mean"?!? And if i needed that surgery....whats it like recovery and pain wise?!?
4/20/07  LR right knee
11/19/07 LR left knee
1/16/08  MUA left knee

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2007, 07:49:48 PM »
Just that, you're walking along and your ankle kind of just rolls over on its side, usually resulting in you falling to the ground. I'm guessing that's what happens when you say you sprained your ankle.

The recovery for reconstructive ankle surgery is long and painful. It was easier for me to recover from a PKR on my knee, although I'd say the PKR was more painful. Arthroscopic knee surgery is a walk in the park in comparison. Even scopes on the ankle hurt more than knee scopes.

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2007, 08:48:18 PM »
Chels - you're a blooming disaster area - now whan you go to Texas - just rest!!!!!!! mom2
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline Clarinet'09

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Padfoot13cl
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2007, 03:39:46 AM »
Yup you got it right jathib...thats is what happens when i sprain my ankle but its only happened like 6 times my whole life...is this okay or still bad?!?
Also i just realized last night (it was our first band practice of the year and we didnt march just marked time which i where you basically march in place with the balls of both feet on the floor) that i have been marking time for the past 2 years with my ankle "rolling" and tonight it hurts REALLY bad!!! My mom said that she is gonna call in tomorrow and get me an appt with my GP just to make sure nothing to bad is going on cause i cant handle the pain tonight...i know i wont be getting any sleep between the knees and ankle!!!  :'(
4/20/07  LR right knee
11/19/07 LR left knee
1/16/08  MUA left knee

Offline Clarinet'09

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Padfoot13cl
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2007, 03:41:45 AM »
Anja...i PROMISE i will rest on the Texas trip i plan on relaxing while on the beach and just tanning (and before you say it...YES I WILL WEAR SUNSCREEN lol ). Miss hearing from you regualarly on WWC and/or WGs lol !!! BTW...hows your knee been....did the TKR help alot?!?  ;D
4/20/07  LR right knee
11/19/07 LR left knee
1/16/08  MUA left knee

Offline Ronxski

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2007, 06:09:23 AM »
Chels, I went to a sports med Dr. about 13 years ago for my ankles. They snap and clack . the left really makes clacking noise when I walk faster. It is the worst one and it does have a start of arthritis. I had to give up my manual transmission truck cause the clutch was too painful on the pivot.

She told me that I have arthritis because when I was younger like in my late teens and through my 20s I didn't let sprains heal properly and developed scar tissue that ate away at the ankles.  I usually taped them a couple days after the injury to get back into sports. The worst were basketball injuries when you would go up for a rebound and come down on someones foot and roll it outside.. I really did it badly when I was 28 and remember re injuring it a week later. It has been loose ever since.

That sports med Dr. gave me some theraband exercises to strengthen the muscles around them. Also when I was feeling better, I was to stand on that foot only and close my eyes. It makes you focus your balance and you strengthen the muscles around and above the ankle.
In my case, the outer ligaments going up to my knee are affected and she said if I played sports I was to wear ankle supports that laced down my foot to the toes. It helped. But she cautioned me that I could tear those ligaments and end up with surgery if I pushed it.

While I was learning to cross country ski , coming down hills and cornering that foot reminded me of a shopping cart with a bad wheel in front that wobbles all over.

you Don't want to end up that way. So let your sprains heal Daughter! And I hope the sound of the ocean you hear is just that and not the air whistling through your ears as my advice goes in one end and out the other.  ;D  Ron
partial meniscus removal, posterior horn of medial meniscus tear,horizontal cleavage type. Dec. O4
Age 56
back to cross country skiing and biking.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2007, 07:07:27 AM »
Chelsea, I just need to say this. If you hurt so much why don't you stay off things like band practice to get well ?
To get well rest is your best friend right now. And as long as you continue to do things and not listen to your body, you probably will have problems.
I know it's not easy when you are young and want to do things, but sometimes you have to face facts.
Your ankle wants rest and then it will probably get well without problems.
I have had ankle problems out of overuse injures after years on crutches and rest is the only things that help and after that phys.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2007, 01:31:51 PM »
I echo what Nettan said. I have a coworker that ignored an ankle injury all through high school and beyond so he could continue to play sports. Now he is 30 years old and because of not taking care of his ankle he has avascular necrosis. This is a totally devastating condition in an ankle. Not saying it will happen to you but ankles are nothing to fool with. My knee has been replaced and is doing well but ankle replacements are not very successful so I fear my ankle will cause me much more grief in the future.

Offline Clarinet'09

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Padfoot13cl
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2007, 03:20:52 AM »
I am taking it easy and i am going to Texas tomorrow so that is 2 weeks of rest that i dont normally have.....so i think i will heal my ankle pretty well over that time span!!!
Thanks for your help and advice everyone!!!
Later...  8)
4/20/07  LR right knee
11/19/07 LR left knee
1/16/08  MUA left knee

support