Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: SYNVISC  (Read 10322 times)

Offline westview5579

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
SYNVISC
« on: September 25, 2002, 12:11:27 AM »
I was wondering what info anybody would have on the use of Synvisc. I have two mal-tracking caps, I had a LR on the right in May and a LR on the left in July, constant PT since June.  My Therapist sees lots of balance and mechanical problems. My OS says there is nothing but Synvisc and periodic cortisone shots, until I'm old enough for total knees. I have an appointment Monday the 30th for a second oppinion, in hopes of a different view on this situation. If it's Synvisc, for the next 10 years I was just wondering what info you might have about it.
Thanks,
Sheila
LR-Right 5/3/2002, LR-Left 7/12/2002 Synvisc both Sept 2002, LR, MR, Meniscectomy, Chondroplasty Right  5/16/2003, Right TKR 12/19/03 Cellulitis, 12/27/03, MUA 1/23/04,  RSD 2/12/04, MUA 4/6/04

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
Re: SYNVISC
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2002, 05:34:05 AM »
Hi, I don't know much about synvisc because I have never had it. But okay...here is what I do know. Synvisc is a synthetic substance that is used to replace/replenish the natural sunovial fluid in the knee joint. This can become less available in the body as we age. The reason Synvisc needs to be injected often is that the scinetists have yet to invent a substance that isn't absorbed and broken down in the blood stream. So it has to be replenished often. Hope that helped somewhat...
Take care
Linds :)
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 100
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2002, 02:11:31 PM »
There is a good article on the Washington Orthopaedic & Knee Clinic site:
http://www.kneetime.com/
Check in the margin index - you will find a couple of links.
--
KNEEguru

Offline ELLEN

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2002, 05:09:19 PM »
I had 3 synvisc injections last september.  They did not help at all, and caused me alot more pain. I was told i was a candidate for Total knee replacement, but too young (40).  OS said find a cane I liked and get use to it.  This was completely unacceptable to me.  He could not explain what was wrong-he did not know, he refered me to a well known surgeon in chicago, he could not tell me what was wrong-he said he sees alot of knee problems that are unexplained in athletic females.  I gave up for a few months.  Then It was recommended I see this OS who does alot of non conventional surgeries, and has alot of innovative ideas.  Low and behold he has become my savior.  Five minutes in his office he told me what was wrong.  Skyline view of xrays showed my knee cap had slid down and was hitting tibia.  He spent 1.5 hours with me on my first exam.  I just had fulkerson osteotomy on friday.  

My advice to you is if you are having mal tracking problems, ask about fulkerson or other procedures of this sort.  It cant hurt to inquire about a more aggressive procedure.  You might suprise your doc.  I saw 7 OS before I got help.

good luck
ELLEN

Offline Stevejw

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2002, 11:13:43 PM »
Synvisc is the commercial name for a synthetic form of Hyaluronic acid, a product that is naturally found in the body. Synvisc is typically used in individuals whose own synovial fluid and knee cartilage are missing or damaged due to arthritic wear an tear.

I had a shot of Hyaluronic acid a while back and it didn't help me - however, don't let that put you off as clinical evidence shows that  the majority of peope treated with Synvisc do benefit from pain reduction for a period typically ranging fom 4 to 9 months. The good thing about Synvisc is that if it works for you, then you can, unlike Cortisone, repeat the process for some time.

Good luck
ACL carbo fibre repair and three revisions. 12 scopes, Primary TKR November 02, revision TKR August 07. Post surgery staph infection, debridement, MUA.

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2002, 01:58:58 AM »
I had the Synvisc injections last year and got no relief from them either. I've read many posts from people that it did help but most lasted only about  6 months. Most of these people had another set of injections and they didn't help the second time around. It's worth a try as there doesn't seem to be any side affects except the shots are expensive and they can be extremely painful. My last shot was so painful that I would not have returned if the first shot had hurt that much.

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2002, 11:48:54 PM »
Hi!  I had SynVisc injections in my left knee in October of 2000 and then in my right knee in December of 2000.  It is a bit complicated for me to explain--but I really did initially begin with some relief from them.  I was post-op in my right knee when we did my left knee.  i also have OA in my feet--and in climbing stairs at work on crutches, I fractured my left foot.  It ended up in a cam-walker which put a lot of really poeculiar stress on both of my knees.  However, I reached a point where I could put my socks on that left foot like everybody else does :o)  That is why we decided to go with the right knee as well.  In the meantime, that fracture would not heal--and in early February, I injured my right knee and needed another surgery.

I have talked to a lot of people about SynVisc--I really think it helped me at least for a while...and the injections were a lot less painful for me than cortisone is.  I know one older lady who put off TKR's because she got so much relief from the SynVisc.  she started going bowling and dancing and having a regular ball.  I also know others who didn't get anything out of them and one person who had complications...

I think, that like so much of this is, it is dependent upon the individual if this will help--kind of a gamble.  If you are one of the ones that it helps, it is great.  I enjoyed it while it lasted.  Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
Scope on rt knee,9/00;2/01
scope w/ LR and debridement rt knee 2/02
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
Complications MUA 8/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline Maggie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2002, 05:45:00 PM »
Dear Shelia,
I have had the Synvisc injections. I did not find them very painful at all, no worse than a blood test as far as I am concerned. I went in with a lot of fear that it would be incredibly painful from reading everyone's posts, but it was not.
Unfortunately they only helped for a few weeks. I will not have them again because I don't feel they were beneficial enough, however if I had to decide again whether or not to try them for the first time, I would.
In my opinion they are definitely worth a try. I did have a few complications after having them and had to have my knee aspirated and a shot of cortisone to settle it down. I would still say give it a try.
Thanks Maggie
Scope in 1984 torn acl, loose body removal, patellar chondroplasty. 12/01 open VMO advancement, LR, medial meniscectomy, abrasion arthroplasty, patellar chondroplasty.Synvisc, cortisone, celebrex.

Offline westview5579

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2002, 07:05:20 PM »
Maggie,
Thanks for the response to my post. I am trying the Synvisc, Thursday being the day of the first injection. They will do my right knee first, if it helps they will move along with the left. I have stage 3 chondro in the right and stage 3 patella defect along with some other fun things in the left. Who knows maybe it will work like a miracle.
Thanks for the reassurance, I've had cortisone and I always lived through them so I figure this won't be that bad.
Sheila
LR-Right 5/3/2002, LR-Left 7/12/2002 Synvisc both Sept 2002, LR, MR, Meniscectomy, Chondroplasty Right  5/16/2003, Right TKR 12/19/03 Cellulitis, 12/27/03, MUA 1/23/04,  RSD 2/12/04, MUA 4/6/04

Offline Maggie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2002, 08:23:57 PM »
Hi Sheila, I just wanted to say gook luck on Thursday. I hope they work for you. I think a positive attitude always helps. Let us know how it goes for you.
Maggie
Scope in 1984 torn acl, loose body removal, patellar chondroplasty. 12/01 open VMO advancement, LR, medial meniscectomy, abrasion arthroplasty, patellar chondroplasty.Synvisc, cortisone, celebrex.

Offline westview5579

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2002, 07:21:19 PM »
Well made it through the first shot, wasn't that bad no worse than cortisone. No response yet, but really didn't expect one. Next one will be Tuesday. Yip-Eee can't wait!!
Sheila

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2002, 06:11:11 AM »
Hi Sheila,

i just was curious how the SynVisc is going?  

I didn't think it was as painful as cortisone injections either.

I hope that you are one of the lucky ones it is the answer for!  Good luck, Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline westview5579

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2002, 07:18:35 PM »
Sylvia, The 2nd shot was very painful, I'm not sure he hit the right spot. Took 2 vicadins to calm it down. The knee seems different, I'm not sure better, but different. One more to go, oh joy!!
Sheila

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2002, 10:31:41 PM »
I'm sorry to hear that this one was difficult.   I'll keep my fingers crossed that #3 is better.  Really, the best I can do is hope that you get the relief you need and deserve from these.

Take care, Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline westview5579

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2002, 03:45:51 AM »
Well I had my 3rd injection yesterday on the right and the first in the series on the left. I think my OS must of studied injection technique this past week, because the right knee only hurt after the knee realized the stuff was in there, and the left didn't hurt a bit. I was amazed after last weeks ordeal. Alot of stiffness today but that seems to be better now. Time will tell if I get much relief, I think I do , but the knee cap needs to be glued in to really be better.

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2002, 04:40:28 AM »
Hi!

I'm glad to hear that this round went better.  i hope you get the really positive outcome from this that some people get.  Good luck!   Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline westview5579

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2002, 06:16:43 PM »
I've had 3 injections both knees now, they do seem some better not perfect though, just a little better. I had the last one in the left last Tuesday and the right one the Tuesday before. All in all the shots were not too bad. I started taking the day after the shot off and that seemed to help. I milk cows for a job, 360 of them to be exact, very demanding on sore knees.

Offline anil111

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2002, 03:21:21 PM »
I had synvisc 3 injections at 62  a year ago. I have sever osteoarthritis in both knees. 7 years ago I had arthroscpy on one knee  and pictures showed blood on both the knee bones. I did not think the injections made any difference to me. Though HMO paid $1500 + drs. fees [cost me $120 in copay] it was worth the try. Atleast now I do not feel I did not try. I still think Cortisone shots I took 7 years ago lasted longer [4-6 months].  Good luck to all of you who are tsking it and please keep posting results regularly.
65, M, bad OS both knees for 15 yrs. barely. Try walk a mile. Row  30 mts  OR  Rally tennis 60 mts. if pain and weather permits. Absolutely no  chasing balls. If fallen  TKR not good to get up????????

Offline westview5579

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2003, 05:22:32 PM »
Thought I would report on the Synvisc, I hate to say it but it didn't work either knee. Right knee which is the worst lasted about 2 weeks, left knee maybe a month. Not worth the $3,000 or the pain of the injection. I wonder why some people it works others it doesn't. My right knee is getting worse every passing day. The doc is getting approval from comp to scope it again, he's not sure what he will do in there maybe another LR with MR. I've made it very clear he's not to remove the knee cap. The lack of extension in that knee is really a big issue, nobody has really said why it's that way. It was much worse in May after the LR, took alot of work now it's about -10 on extension maybe +100 unassisted, so the ROM really stinks.
Sheila

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2003, 09:50:00 PM »
I think that treating knee problems is a lot like teaching reading--the doc, like the teacher needs a big tool kit of possibilities because no two people are the same and have different needs.  As a reading teacher, I've heard all of the phonics vs, text arguments and I believe a good teacher has all approaches at his/her disposal.

With knees, the docs try to go from least invasive to most invasive kinds of things as well knowing that there can be significant things happen as a result of their efforts--positive or negative.  I have an uncle who has had knee problems since his early 20's as a result of his high school football career.  He has had great results form SynVisc--and has repeated the procedure as well.  He is now moving into his 60's and is starting to consider TKR's.  SynVisc has saved him a lot of grief.

I'm sorry that it didn't work for you--I think it bought me a little time.  Funny thing for me was that the SynVisc hurt far less than the cortisone hurts me.  We all bring into this our own unique issues...

Treating knees is an art with a science basis, I guess...Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline anil111

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2003, 07:47:39 AM »
Dear Kneeguru,

Nice that we have these threads. May be one should be a technical. This should describe only at length different procedures and updates on new trials. Also many use abbreviations on threads and for me many are unfamiliar. A list of them would be a big plus. If you do start the new thread or have one please email me. Thanks. It is also hard to go thro' so many threads. Can we merge some?   Thanks   anil ::)
65, M, bad OS both knees for 15 yrs. barely. Try walk a mile. Row  30 mts  OR  Rally tennis 60 mts. if pain and weather permits. Absolutely no  chasing balls. If fallen  TKR not good to get up????????

Offline anil111

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2003, 07:49:45 AM »
One good solution will be having one thread which just also lists by date all the posts made on the other threads together.

Offline muskypike

• Forum Faithful
  • im going wacko, with my tkr
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2003, 07:16:00 PM »
Hi Anil

there is a section of knee terminology, which i believe it lists abbreviations.  I understand what you are saying though.  when I first came on board i didn't know what alot of them meant.  you can always post a ? to the person if you don't know what the abbreviation is.  I can help you out a little with the obvious ones.  

tkr:  total knee replacement
pkr: partial knee replacement
lr:    lateral release
rsd: reflex sympethitic dystrophy
mr:  medial reefing
ttt:  tibia tuberosity transfer (?) osteotomy

I cant think of anymore right now the pain meds are kicking in.

have a good day and I hope your knee(s) are doing ok.

Ellen
GOLDWIATH1980. LR1992. MENISCUS TEAR 1992 1999 2003. SYNVISC INJ 2001, FULKERSON 2002 W/ PATELLA CHONDROPLSTY SYNoVCTMY & LR SCAR TISSUE REMOVAL4/03 STAPH INF4/03 BONE INFECTION 4/03 TKR 3/04 meniscus tear 7/04 LOA 9/04 RSD 9/04 LOA 1/05, and LOA in May, told by OS will need loa every 3 mos. ENUFF!!

Offline anil111

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2003, 12:17:34 PM »
Hello Ellen,

Thanks for the info. Hope you are doing great. keep in touch. My knees are same. No courage yet  to do anything.

anil

Offline ccchilders

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2003, 05:16:30 PM »
I had the Synvisc injections in July of last year.  I found if my knee was swelled the injections hurt a great deal.  So I made sure the day before my injection, I didn't do anything to cause swelling and iced the knee.  My next injection was almost painless.

I didn't think the injections helped.  But during the last month my knee is much worse.  Did the injections help?   Or is it just worse?  I guess I will never know.

CCC

Offline westview5579

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2003, 05:49:00 PM »
The Synvisc didn't work a bit on the right knee and a little relief on the left. I'm waiting for comp to approve a repeat LR with medial reefing on the right. Mostly the shots weren't all that painful, again the right knee complained more than the left. It's just a whinner!!

Offline Jack_Mark

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
: SYNVISC
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2003, 02:24:51 PM »
My general practitioner told me some time ago that he thought  it a waste of time to try Synvisc as 'the specialists using synvisc weren't releasing any statistics.'

Despite this advice I eventually went ahead anyway (out of desperation).

My experience was that I thought that I noticed some improvements during the week following the first injection.

By the time I had all my injections (now some 12 months ago)
there wasn't any benefit at all.

In my personal view the whole thing is a hoax.

Jack Mark

Offline westview5579

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2003, 04:28:00 PM »
A very expensive one I might add (hoax that is) over $500 a shot, 3 shots x 2 knees = no pain reduction.. Back to square one!!!

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2003, 05:13:41 PM »
I did have relief from them--but it wasn't permanent...

I think they are now advertising it as temporary relief--6 months.

For me, the SynVisc was a lot less painful than cortisone has been.  I guess we are all different and that is why there are many different possibilities for treating this...

Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline ruby2zdy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Knee a complete mess, can hardly walk
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2003, 04:20:46 AM »
I had 3 Synvisc injections (last one about 10 days ago) in my R knee, where I have chondromalacia and a torn meniscus and a lot of pain.  The only relief I got was during the first 24-48 hrs.   :P  Interestingly I had the same experience as someone else (above) with regard to the painfulness of the injections  The first one was so painless I didn't think he'd actually stuck the needle in.  The second one hurt more & resulted, 5 days later, in a lot of pain in the insertion tendon of the vastus lateralis (I mentioned this to the doc & he passed it off as normal, but personally I think he stuck the tendon on the way in).  The third one didn't hurt the tendon but hurt more than the first.  Of course, all this is just normal injection stuff and not relevant to the question of results.  I'd have to say my results were pretty disappointing.  The doc did say that some people have such good results they just come in once a year & get "booster shots".  So it depends on what's wrong inside the knee, I guess.

Ann
What did I do to deserve this?!?

Offline puffingirl

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2003, 05:24:40 PM »
I've been considering Synvisc myself, but after everyone's posts, I'm leaning towards not doing it.  It just sounds like there's not enough good stuff in the risk/reward balance.   :-/  Sorry that so many of you haven't had the relief you were hoping for...  I hope medical technology has some good breakthroughs soon!
Right knee
2000--lateral meniscus repair, partial medial meniscectomy
2002--subtotal lateral and partial medial meniscectomy
2003--diagnostic scope
2009--lateral meniscal allograft

Offline westview5579

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2003, 05:59:41 PM »
I know a man who has no meniscus left and synvisc works great for him. He gets his shots just once a year, with very good results. I have knee cap issues and mal-tracking so don't let that scare you off they are worth a try. From what I have read it seems to work better for your kind of problem.
Sheila

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2003, 07:09:57 PM »
I also know somebody who has had great relief with SynVisc.  This is an older lasy--late 60's who was headed for a tkr.  she had SynVisc and has indefinitely put off the surgery--she bowls, dances, and is having the time of her life.

There really are no guarantees.  I had short term relief from SynVisc and personally think it is worth the effort--because it is a lot easier to handle and recuperate fromt han surgery :)  Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline ruby2zdy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Knee a complete mess, can hardly walk
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2003, 12:42:38 AM »
I should have said in my earlier post (last one, page 2) that my doc said that sometimes the effect doesn't kick in till 6 weeks or so.  I guess the SYnvisc does something in there -- interacts with the tissues -- other than provide a thicker fluid.  I haven't been doing anything that would test out whether my Synvisc injections have helped or not.  I do still get some knee pain from what I am doing, but I kind of backed off what I was doing.  Yesterday I had to go up & down my stairs 5-6 times in a row and did have some pain following, but used ice & today it's OK.
What did I do to deserve this?!?

Offline DRoswell

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2003, 02:56:38 AM »
I had my first Synvisc treatment in July 2001.

I was one of those 40% of people who responded to it very well.  Within about a week I noticed I started being able to climb steps with my right knee.  Since I have OA in both knees, both were done.  The results lasted about a year.

I have one very bad knee - in it I have 15 degrees of wear on the medial side of my tibia, no medial meniscus since 1971 (removed), and a lateral tear (repaired by arthoscopy in 1988).  I also have no ACL at all anymore in either knee.  I am a candidate for TKR for my very bad knee, but I am a bit too young (49years old).

After that first treatment of Synvisc I couldn't believe how much better my knees felt.  It wore off very gradually. (12 months)

After about 13 months passed, I was back at my doctor, once again ready to say OK to total knee replacement. Because I had such great results on the SYNVISC, this time he used a European version of SYNVISC, known as SUPARTZ.  It is 5 injections instead of three, but the total amount of medicine is almost double, and the cost is supposed to be much less. (I didn't pay, but take care that HMO's often  need precertification now because of the many people that it doesn't work that well on.) I had that SUPARTZ treatment in August 2002, and I think it is just starting to wear off now (March 2003) , not because it isn't as good as SYNVISC, but rather because my knee is getting progressively worse (sometimes I feel crunching and crumbling in there when just standing)

My personal conclusion is that SYNVISC & SUPARTZ (which are two brand names for the same exact chemical) have bought me almost two years so far.  I'm not sure whether I'll go for a third treatment - as I say, in my case is may be a point of diminishing returns.  But when I first got it, I tell you I was able to even do a little ballet leap now and then.  I was able to work longer on my feet with the additional help of Vioxx.

I am 49 years old, an overweight ex-athlete, (gymnast & ice skater) and I'm of European descent. (Italian & Basque).  I'm kind of strong and large boned.  I think I have type A or OA blood.

I just thought I should mention all this because some people such as myself seem to respond really well to the SYNVISC.
I really think they should do a study on what sort of people respond (nationality, blood type, allergies, weight, stage of osteoarthritis, surgeries, etc.) so that they can better predict who will respond well.

Out of sheer curiosity I asked my ortho how SYNVISC works and by what process it wears off.
He said that nobody really knew for sure WHY it works, but he suspects that it "wakes up" some chemical processes that helped the knee produce the old synovial lubricants it did when it was healthy --i.e before prolonged osteoarthritis .

Maybe this post will help somebody out there.

I should caution, the one danger with these treatments is knee infection, so if you get the shots, I advise to keep the little injections sites dry and clean for a few days at least. Keep a band aid on it when going to bed.  I had NO trouble at all.

The injection pain is relative to what pain you are used to enduring with bad knees.  I didn't fear the injections - I looked forward to them, because I knew it was better than bone-on- bone!

Good Luck to All.

Dyna

Offline cadha

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2003, 02:22:00 PM »
Am new to this forum. Having severe osteoarthritis in both knees. On pain killers. Am on the lookout on the web for any tips, information, any help at all for the pain remedies. This topic & replies have been very helpful and an eye-opener......
On my search for the types of knee injections available,here is some info which might be helpful:

found out that all of them contain "hyaluronic acid", are jelly /gel like with different brand names like Hyalgan, Supartz and other is Synvisc (made of  hylan GF20(similar to Hyaluronic acid but modified).

These are only for relieving pain, not a cure.
Side effects like pain, swlling, redness are possible.
More effective in less advanced cases of OA. Less effective in advanced cases...... (Who decides the stage - advanced or not?)

Any way knowing about so many varied responses to such injections, am not sure..........
Will search more.........

Thanks

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2003, 08:48:11 PM »
I think that point about how advanced the stage of arthritis is is a good one.  I suspect with syn visc--as with glucosamine, there needs to be something there to work with.  That was not my case...

Having tried virtually everything under the sun, I'd probably still go the same route because things like the injections are so less invasive and have so few side effects as compared to surgical options.  It is relief to know that they have worked for others and are not necessarily voo doo.  If my doc recommended them or something new that comes out, I'd go along with it.  What can I lose at this point?  LOL, Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline seegalone

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • hope we all can have a race one day...
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2004, 11:17:51 PM »
I had 3 synvisc injections last september.  They did not help at all, and caused me alot more pain. I was told i was a candidate for Total knee replacement, but too young (40).  OS said find a cane I liked and get use to it.  This was completely unacceptable to me.  He could not explain what was wrong-he did not know, he refered me to a well known surgeon in chicago, he could not tell me what was wrong-he said he sees alot of knee problems that are unexplained in athletic females.  I gave up for a few months.  Then It was recommended I see this OS who does alot of non conventional surgeries, and has alot of innovative ideas.  Low and behold he has become my savior.  Five minutes in his office he told me what was wrong.  Skyline view of xrays showed my knee cap had slid down and was hitting tibia.  He spent 1.5 hours with me on my first exam.  I just had fulkerson osteotomy on friday.  

My advice to you is if you are having mal tracking problems, ask about fulkerson or other procedures of this sort.  It cant hurt to inquire about a more aggressive procedure.  You might suprise your doc.  I saw 7 OS before I got help.

good luck

Hi, Ellen,
If it's a duplicate post I apologize. It did not seem to want to go thru.
I do not have maltracking but an advanced OA in the R knee, post arthroscopy and old skiing injury.

Anyway I noticed that you are also from Chicago. I've been shoved around by at least one  "famous' ortho surgeon, who tolsd me to wait untill it gets much worse and I get older to qualify for TKR. He actually did not have a complete diagnosis with just a couple of X-rays. The one I'm seeing now is much more detailed, but again he subspecialzes in one particular knee procedure and others does less often. He doesn't believe in Synvisc and does it very rarely. I wonder if the injection technique makes a difference, or it's just like any injection into the knee, let say a steroid that I'm pretty sure any decent surgeon can do.
If you would not mind sharing yourChicago OSs experience with me, I would certainly appreciate it. Rather than name bashing on this Forum perhaps you would be nice enough to e-mail me at                    [email protected] , unless it's OK to mention names in here.
Thanks much in advance,
Krys  ???