Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACI Surgery on 6/28/07 on MFC  (Read 23251 times)

Offline Peg Leg

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: ACI Surgery on 6/28/07 on MFC
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2007, 03:38:54 AM »
Andy,

Thanks for asking!  I think things are going well.  I had water therapy again, today.  I am worn out!!  It was hard but good---no pain, no gain!!  I am up to 125 degrees!!!! but I still have a 7 degree extensor lag in my SLR due to extremely weak quads.  This is really affecting everything, but I am hoping that walking will help to strenghten them.  I am up to 50% of my weight on the leg as of today.Yea!!!  My therapist did quite a lot with ankle weights, today, including SLR's and having me hold my leg above the water (I was lying on my back), plus lots of pool walking.  Needless to say, I am hurting right much now >:(.  Lots of ice!!

My knee is still pretty stiff, especially in the morning.  I am riding the stationary bike and got up to 15 minutes today, though I could not make the computer come on!!! It is progress though, and that is what counts the most!  I also got to go out without the dreaded brace today.  It felt so good getting into the car without having to maneuver around the straight leg!!  So, all in all, a very good day! :D

Peg Leg
10/06  Miicrofracture Rt knee on mfc
defect was 1.3x2, small defect under patella
04/07 Arthroscopy/Cell harvest for Carticel
06/28/07 Carticel surgery ,Rt. Knee
12/27/07  Scope to debride Patella lesion,Rt. Knee
4/17/08  Fulkerson AMZ, Rt. Knee
6/25/09 ConforMis BiCompartmental Knee Replacement

Offline lajama

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2007, 08:39:14 AM »
Robin that is so funny, he is my doc too!  I was actually there today to get the stitches out from my scope and I was talking to John and he told me about another patient that was going through the Carticel rehab right now.  He actually said there were two women who recently had it done and both were doing really well.  Who knew it was you he was talking about!!!  I would definitely like to talk more, feel free to email me whenver you get the chance, that way we don't have to bore everyone else :)  My email address is [email protected]
Jen
34 yo F
Left:
1/87 realignment,LR
9/02 debridement,LR
1/03 osteotomy,LR
2/07 PKR-patellafemoral arthroplasty

Right:
12/03 debridement,LR
5/04 Osteotomy
2/06 debridement
10/06 PKR-patellafemoral arthroplasty
8/07   Carticel harvest
10/07 Carticel implant
4/08 scope, debridement

Offline Peg Leg

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2007, 02:27:03 AM »
Time for an update!!  My surgery was 8 weeks ago today and I feel like I have made a lot of progress!  I am now riding stationary bike 3 or 4 times a week and Tuesday, I rode 1 mile in just over 9 minutes.  That is so great considering 12 days ago I couldn't get the computer to turn on!!  Yesterday, I was given the go-ahead to swim and I swam 12 laps; it was awesome!! I did not kick (used a pull buoy), but it was so great to actually be exercising! ;D  In therapy on Tuesday, we dropped a crutch and it wasn't too bad.  I plan to only do this at  home until I am strong enough to walk at a normal pace ( I do not like to be slow!!).  Today, Jason tried to get me to walk with no crutches, while holding onto his hand, but my quad is so weak I couldn't do it without looking like Lurch!  So, I will work on a  more normal gait with one crutch. My calf is getting really sore, so I know it is getting more use!

My ROM is up to 135 degrees with quite a bit of pushing by Jason!! Woohoo!!! I still have an extensor lag of 7% on the SLR, but my quad does feel a bit stronger. Surely with the walking and the biking, that will correct itself, soon.  I also did 5 leg presses at 40 lbs, without pain! There is also less stiffness;  I think that is because the swelling has decreased. So, all in all, a good week!

Offline erinee

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2007, 10:54:31 AM »
Great job-keep it up-there is a light at the end of the tunnel! ;D
And get that knee straight will ya !! (The PT in me)
Do you have an estim unit for your quads to use at home? ( *I didn't read back)
37 year old physical therapist, Left lateral release '92, bilateral debridement and scope '04, bilateral patellar cartliage defects, denied ACI repeatedly by insurance.  Scope and debridement 12/06 L knee.Bilat patellar ACI with Fulkerson 4/23/07.

Offline and4400

• Regular Poster
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2007, 03:51:16 PM »
Peg Leg, way to go keep up the good work. I had a visit to the doctor yesterday also, I don't have to use my crutches anymore  ;D I still get alittle sweiing if I walkalot but ice takes care of it. No more CPM machine, and I gonna start my PT in a week and a half. I wanted to wait for the PT because  I couldn't drive and it gets really expensive with co-pays so I figured I would wait until I could actually do some work there.  I can finally get full extension and flexion is 135. I can't wait to go back to work i've been out since Oct 06 and my wedding is next week so I'll be walking. Andy
osteochondritis dissecans  RT. knee
Debridement Oct 06
Bone grafts 3x3cm defect MFC(harvest ACI)Dec 06
Scope Apr 07
ACI done July 07
Scope May 08,Scope Dec09
surgery #8 Oats(MFC) Open wedge HTO July 10'

Offline Peg Leg

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2007, 01:38:22 AM »
Erinee,

I have a Tens Unit at home, would that have the same effect as an estim machine?  I have tried it several times, but not sure if it helps.  I hope the biking and the pool walking will wake that quad up!  Thanks for your post!

Peg Leg

Offline erinee

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2007, 10:53:51 AM »
Erinee,

I have a Tens Unit at home, would that have the same effect as an estim machine?  I have tried it several times, but not sure if it helps.  I hope the biking and the pool walking will wake that quad up!  Thanks for your post!

Peg Leg
Hi Peg-
Some, but not all, TENS units have an NMES or muscle reed setting-that's what you'd want to look for, check the manual and ask your PT.  The biking and walking will help, but not do the job completely.  You really need to do quad sets and straight leg raises with a straight knee, and terminal knee extension in standing from 30 degress flexion (ask your PT) until your eyes cross.  Seriously.  Do them CONSTANTLY.
37 year old physical therapist, Left lateral release '92, bilateral debridement and scope '04, bilateral patellar cartliage defects, denied ACI repeatedly by insurance.  Scope and debridement 12/06 L knee.Bilat patellar ACI with Fulkerson 4/23/07.

Offline Peg Leg

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2007, 06:35:50 PM »
Erinee,

Thanks for the suggestions!!  My TENS unit does not have that capability.  But I have taken your suggestion and I am doing SLR's and TKE's constantly-----people are really staring  ;D!!!!!  Seriously, I increased my numbers on these exercises considerably, starting on Tuesday.  My PT was impressed with the improvement in my SLR on Thur.  There is still a slight lag in the extensor, but improving!!  I still could not walk without the crutch, but even the lurching had improved!  He is so encouraged, that we have a land appt. for Wed. to work on gait training. :o  Looks like I might lose the crutches by the 10 week mark!!  I  am also riding the stationary bike farther and faster and I swam 22 laps on Thur., using a pull buoy, so no kicking.  It feels great to get that heart beating faster!!!  I'll let you know how it goes on Wed.

Peg Leg  (for a little while longer!!)

Offline erinee

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2007, 07:52:50 PM »
Awesome news!!! ;D
How's the ROM and walking going?

Offline Peg Leg

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2007, 08:39:08 PM »
Erinee,

My ROM was 140 degrees on Wed., which I was thrilled with!  The walking is another story....... I am now using a cane; my knee turns in when wt. is put into it due to the weak quad. Jason wants to change my name to "Aileen"  for I Lean, get it?!!! ;)  I am doing a 2 inch step-up, but it is really hard.  I am happy to be off the crutches, but am a bit worried about how the walking feels.  My knee is very sore!  What do you think, Erinee?

I live in NC, where were you visiting?  Take care!

Peg Leg

Offline erinee

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2007, 10:08:26 PM »
Hmm...I actually meant your extension ROM, since that is what you were having trouble with.  Flexion looks great!
I got the Aileen thing, LOL.  Actually, if I was you, I'd keep you with 2 crutches or canes, trying to not bear weight thru your arms and not limp or lean.  Only then would I drop down to a cane or one crutch.  Make sense?
Step ups are hard, no doubt.
Are you still icing?
I was in Asheville NC and Greenville SC.  We had a lot of fun-I crossed the Grandfather mountain bridge which metaphorically meant a lot to me  :)

Offline Peg Leg

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2007, 01:55:58 AM »
Thanks for the reply, Erinee.  My extensor lag was 8 degrees on Wed.  I am icing 3-4 times a day since going to the cane, mainly because I am hurting more.  Your suggestion makes a lot of sense; I think I will try that tomorrow and see how that works.  I really feel like I am putting a lot of stress on the knee joint and it is not a happy feeling.  My PT is awesome, but he feels very strongly that I need to be off the crutches and I am feeling like I am  not quite ready. :-\
Western NC is beautiful;  I'm glad you had a great time!

Thanks so much,

Peg Leg  (still)

Offline erinee

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2007, 02:48:12 AM »
Peg-
All due respect to your PT, as he sees you, and I am only an "internet" PT-I would definitely prefer you to not be limping/ having significant pain prior to dropping to one crutch.  Gait quality is very important, and it makes no sense to start a bad motor pattern.  Your extension is getting better, which is great, but I'll bet when you get it to 0 your gait will improve sigificantly, if that's any motivation  ;)
Erin

Offline Peg Leg

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2007, 02:18:37 AM »
Time for an 11 week update (my how time flies......yeah,yeah,yeah)!!  Well, after a trying weekend with the walking, I took Erin's advice and went back on the crutches on Sunday, dropped to one on Mon., and back to the cane on Tues.  The pain has subsided and my gait is much better!  I am now able to do 20 2" step-ups at a time and that is helping my quad to strengthen, therefore, the improved gait.  At PT today, when I was asked to do a quad set, you could actually see contracting muscles!! It is about time!!  I walked quite a bit without any help, worked on the Total Gym and my ROM was 145 degrees, totally on my own with no help from Jason!!!!  My extensor lag was 6 degrees; so that is improvement, even though not as much as I had hoped for.  I think I will be ready to go out without the cane by Friday; though, I plan to keep the cane in the car for emergencies and when I get tired.

Things are getting more interesting in the gym, also.  I rode 3 miles in 18 minutes, today, with light resistance, swam 40 laps.(little kicking) and lifted some weights while sitting.  It was awesome!! I have also started leg presses with 40 lbs. and slowly walking on the treadmill.  I am so psyched to be getting back in the swing of things. 8)

David, I really appreciated the explanation you shared with me from Dr. Minas about immature cartilage, walking and pain.  I think others might benefit from that description as well; it gave me a clearer picture of the pain I feel as I get tired.

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement, everyone!  You guys have really helped me so much through this whole ordeal!!

Peg Leg

Offline erinee

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2007, 11:26:36 AM »
Great news!  Glad to hear things are going so well! ;D

support