Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACI Surgery on 6/28/07 on MFC  (Read 23253 times)

Offline Peg Leg

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: ACI Surgery on 6/28/07 on MFC
« Reply #105 on: April 15, 2009, 01:39:26 AM »
Wow, it sure has been a long time since I posted here.  I have been a very busy girl; unfortunately, things have not gone as planned.  Since becoming wt-bearing after the Fulkerson, I knew that I still had a problem.  Long story short, I made progress for 6 months, but when I tried to ramp things up in therapy, I started backsliding, never to return to that level. Pain and frustration helped me to decide to go to Indianapolis to see Dr. Farr. Had an MRI when I got there and then he rocked my world: my patella defect was bad, but even worse he told me that there was as much edema under my carticel graft as there was under the patella defect.  He said that the cartilage was not loading properly and was not protecting the bone.  His recommendation was an Osteochondral Allograft to both defects. This would involve a rehab very similar to ACI. I was very upset and returned to my Dr. with the MRI.  He agreed that I had 2 distinct problems and said my options were limited, though he did not agree with the Allograft for me.  After much debate, several months and failed Euflexxa Injections, we have agreed on a new procedure, a custom made Bicompartmental Knee replacement. The company is ConFormis and the implant is made from my CT Scan to my exact measurements. There is minimal bone cut and the ACL and MCL are left intact. 

I really considered the allograft, but another year long rehab, with no guarantees for a better outcome was more than I could face.  I was told that ACI after microfracture was less likely to work and I was told that since ACI had failed once, that it wasn't likely to work again (this from Dr. Farr). I was also told again, that my Insurance, BCBS, would not pay for patella ACI and I was also told that getting the allograft approved would be a long fight.  All of these things helped me to reach my decision. Plus the idea of getting up and trying to walk the next day is damn appealing!!!!  I'm sure some will feel like I'm throwing in the towel, but I have fought so hard for 2 1/2 years to save this knee and I am tired and ready to put it all behind me, once and for all.  I am 46 years old and I want to get back to life while I'm still fit enough to enjoy it. The other big deciding factor was being told that the Allograft would have the same limitations as a total knee and that i would not be able to play softball again.  Sorry, but that is what I've been working toward for a long time!!! ;D ;D

If you're interested, you can follow my journey to getting my life back over in the unicompartmental thread!!  Carry on friends and I am pulling for each and every one of you to find success with your ACI quest.

peg leg

10/06  Miicrofracture Rt knee on mfc
defect was 1.3x2, small defect under patella
04/07 Arthroscopy/Cell harvest for Carticel
06/28/07 Carticel surgery ,Rt. Knee
12/27/07  Scope to debride Patella lesion,Rt. Knee
4/17/08  Fulkerson AMZ, Rt. Knee
6/25/09 ConforMis BiCompartmental Knee Replacement

Offline Room 101

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
  • 2+2=5
« Reply #106 on: April 15, 2009, 06:35:37 PM »
Hi Peg Leg... I'm new here since your last post, but I read this in it's entirety today (your posts anyway), and i wish you the best of luck w/ this next surgery.  After all you've been through, I hope it is your last and successful surgery to get you back to where you'd like to be. 

Room 101

PS - I long to get back on that field also :)
February 1 2008 - left knee AMZ/LR/Debridement/ACI biopsy
December 2 2008 - left knee ACI - Patela
May 25 2011 - Left knee mfx - trochlea  (ACI growth looked "pristine"), Right knee ACI biopsy
September 5, 2012 - Right knee AMZ/ACI - patella

Offline Peg Leg

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #107 on: July 20, 2009, 02:28:49 AM »
Hey Old Friends,

I'm almost 4 weeks out from my knee replacement surgery and though it was exciting to be up and walking the very next day, oh my God the pain!!! :o  This surgery has been way more painful than any of the others I've been through!  My PT was in surgery with me and he keeps telling me there's a reason I hurt so bad.  I got some very cool pictures that do a good job of explaining the pain!
I've wanted to update here for a while, and tell you all what I learned about my knee.  While the patella defect has caused me a whole lot of trouble since my ACI surgery, recently I started to have more and more pain in my medial compartment, where the Carticel was done. I was told that my medial compartment was a mess.  The graft was nothing more than a gummy like substance;  though, I was told it was more cartilage like near the top. He sent it to the lab to be analyzed.  My Dr. said the bone was a mess and looked like it had never healed properly from the microfracture.  He went into detail about how ACI is NOT as likely to succeed if Microfracture is done first.  Of course, 2 years ago, I never heard anything about this!  I've read more about this in the last few months, so I realize more Dr's are aware of the studys being done.
So, I just wanted to pass on to my old friends and new, too, what I've learned about my knee in the last few weeks.  I hope each and everyone of you have a much better success with your ACI journey than I did, and I'm really, really hoping this will be it for me! Take Care and keep plugging away!!

peg
10/06  Miicrofracture Rt knee on mfc
defect was 1.3x2, small defect under patella
04/07 Arthroscopy/Cell harvest for Carticel
06/28/07 Carticel surgery ,Rt. Knee
12/27/07  Scope to debride Patella lesion,Rt. Knee
4/17/08  Fulkerson AMZ, Rt. Knee
6/25/09 ConforMis BiCompartmental Knee Replacement

support