Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACI Surgery on 6/28/07 on MFC  (Read 23250 times)

Offline Peg Leg

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
ACI Surgery on 6/28/07 on MFC
« on: June 27, 2007, 01:36:37 PM »
Hi, my name is Robin, and my surgery is tomorrow, in Durham, NC.  I am very nervous about everything: the surgery, the hospital, the long recovery, etc... :'(  My defect is on the MFC and there is also a small one under the patella;  My surgeon wiil decide whether to treat that one when he gets a better look.  I will keep everyone posted as to how it goes!

Peg Leg
10/06  Miicrofracture Rt knee on mfc
defect was 1.3x2, small defect under patella
04/07 Arthroscopy/Cell harvest for Carticel
06/28/07 Carticel surgery ,Rt. Knee
12/27/07  Scope to debride Patella lesion,Rt. Knee
4/17/08  Fulkerson AMZ, Rt. Knee
6/25/09 ConforMis BiCompartmental Knee Replacement

Offline djs60

• Regular Poster
Re: ACI Surgery on 6/28/07 on MFC
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 05:26:49 PM »
Good luck, Robin!

Keep us posted on your recovery.

djs60
3/06 left knee arthroscopy - grade IV lateral trochlea defect
chondroplasy & removal of loose bodies
1/07 left knee arthroscopy/cartilage biopsy
4/27/07 left knee trochlea & patella ACI with TTO

Offline and4400

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 09:49:30 PM »
Robin, Good luck mine is two weeks away. I'm sure you'll be fine in a few days just keep  those pain meds close.
                                                                                                         Andy
osteochondritis dissecans  RT. knee
Debridement Oct 06
Bone grafts 3x3cm defect MFC(harvest ACI)Dec 06
Scope Apr 07
ACI done July 07
Scope May 08,Scope Dec09
surgery #8 Oats(MFC) Open wedge HTO July 10'

Offline kalyjoe

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 02:13:07 AM »
Good luck! Try not to be too nervous; let them give you that great "relaxing" meds they give before they take you to surgery.   ;D And just take your pain pills on a regular basis for the first few days whether you feel like you need them or not. 

Take care and update when you can!

Kristi
2 x 1.2 cm defect of right medial femoral condyle
Microfracture, right knee, October 18, 2004.
MACI using CaReS, same knee, November 30, 2006

Offline Peg Leg

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 02:02:12 AM »
Hi Everybody,

I had my surgery on Thur. and the reunion went well!!  This is the first day I have felt like writing.  The surgery went well and other than the fact that my defect was quite a bit bigger, no surprises!  The Dr. decided to not treat the defect under the patella with carticel.  My pain meds have been a problem and we have finally gotten the pain under controll!  I am slowly coming to terms with the CPM machine and I am in it for 8 hours a day; I am up to 45 degrees and it is not bad at all!
Tomorrow, I go to my first PT appt. and he will change my dressing, so I guess I will get to see the Doctor's handywork! :o  That's all for now, I'm sleepy!!

Peg Leg

Offline Peg Leg

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 12:22:22 AM »
Hey There!

I am feeling more like my self every day!  I am up to 75 degrees in the CPM and in Therapy yesterday, we were able to get to 90 degrees ROM!  We were so excited!!  Things did not go this well after my microfracture.  I had my staples removed yesterday (all 21 of them) and the doctor was very pleased with everything.  I would have to say that now that the pain is so much better, things are going along nicely.  I am still working on quad strenghtening; I am expected to do a SLR at therapy on Tuesday or I will get 30 lashes with a wet noodle!! :D Right now, I would say a lashing is coming, because I can't move that suckor at all!  Stay tuned.....

Peg Leg

Offline Peg Leg

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 07:33:41 PM »
Just a quick update!  Things are going very well; at PT on Tuesday, I got to 97 degrees without shouting or hurting my PT!  I was up to 90 degrees in the CPM on Monday and then they came and took it away.  My insurance would not pay for it and the doc said since I was to 90 degrees it was fine.  Isn't that the craziest thing?  They will pay for a $30,000 surgery, but not a $25 a day machine deemed very important!  Thay are also geering up for their anal battle about physical therapy.  My pt faxed all 4o pages of the Carticel protocal to them and they said he supplied insuffiicient info! Go figure!!  Anyway, enough about that.....I am feeling stronger very day, off all meds except at night, doing PT exercises 3-4 times a day, and feeling a lot stronger.  I can now move my leg off and onto couch or bed without using a band under my foot or help from Hubby.  Swelling is minimal and I use the ice machine off and on all day. And, I almost did a SLR  today while on my back! Yea!!  I can do them just fine on my side or on my stomach.  Take care all!

Peg Leg

Offline David3

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2007, 04:19:28 PM »
Hi Robin,  Sounds like your ROM and strength are coming along really well. The rehab protocol for my upcoming ACI / TTO says 90 degrees flexion after 3 weeks, so 97 degrees after only two weeks sounds good! Hopefully that means no scar tissue problems for you.

How's your pain level? You say you're almost off pain meds, which is great, but can you feel pain at the site of the graft, or anywhere else? Also, given that you have a MFC lesion, how long are you non-weight-bearing for? I also have a small MFC lesion (although I'm also "lucky" enough to have trochlea and LFC lesions too) and am not looking forward to the NWB period. I had the full 'Steadman' rehab after my microfracture, with 8 weeks NWB. I really stuck to it well, but NWB is so inconvenient - can't carry anything on crutches, etc. Hope your NWB is not too long....

I'm just over a week away from my ACI / TTO now. Anybody else going through all this at the same time as Robin, Andy (and4400) and myself?

David
2006: Left Knee (LK) microfracture (MFC, LFC, Trochlear), failed at 6 months
7/07: ACI/TTO of LK (MFC, LFC, trochlea, patella)
2014: Considering ACI treatment on RK.

Offline and4400

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 03:39:59 PM »
Robin, How are things coming along for you? It must have been nice getting out the staples, I have about 35 total and can't wait until next week. Hope everything is going smoothly and can't wait to hear. Andy
Debridement Oct 06
Scope Apr 07
ACI done July 07
Scope May 08,Scope Dec09

Offline Peg Leg

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007, 09:05:07 PM »
Hi Guys,

Good to hear from you!  Things were going along really well until Sunday when I tripped and put almost full weight into my bad leg.  Big pain!!  i was so upset because I had been so careful; but things happen even when we are trying to be good.  Anyway, pain and swelling followed and I had to take more pain meds.  I went to PT on Tuesday and he was less than pleased with me.  He told me to ice and elevate and use compression.  He said that I probably did not damage graph site, just a shock to a knee so recently out of surgery; we will know more when I start wt.-bearing around 6 weeks.
Andy,  was happy to get staples out, but incisions were quite tender for nearly a week.  I had to keep ace bandage on it under the dreaded brace.  How are you feeling?
David, I do feel pain at the graph site when I move my leg, sometimes.  I also have pain under my kneecap ( I have a small defect here that was not treated) when moving my leg and doing exercises.  This is most troubling to me, because it is a catching feeling, and I know the area was cleaned up during the surgery. Take care and i look forward to hearing from you after your surgery next week! Sending you good vibes! ;D

Peg Leg

Offline Peg Leg

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2007, 09:30:10 PM »
Hello!

Just a quick update to let everyone know how I am progressing.  It will be 4 weeks on Thursday and I feel things are hobbling along nicely! ;D I feel like my pain is manageable except when I really push it on my PT exercises.  I try and do my exercises 3 to 4 times a day.  At PT on Tuesday, I got to 115 degrees flexion and my extension is good (though I have had to really work on this!).  My SLR is still not great; I have a 20 degree lag because my quad is not working very well.  I have had muscle stimulation 2 times to try and convince the quad to fire.  I HATE that machine!!

On Friday, I get to put 25 % of my weight on the leg, so I guess the balancing act is about over!  It doesn't sound like much, but it is a start!!

Later,

Peg Leg

Offline Peg Leg

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2007, 02:48:43 AM »
I thought I would post an update.  I went to Therapy on Friday and my ROM was 118 degrees and my extensor lag is down to 14 degrees on the SLR; so I got the shock treatment again!  I also got to put a bit of weight on the leg; it did not feel great, but it is a start.  I was told to only do this with the brace on. Because I have been focusing on getting full extension, my knee is hurting a lot more.
Today, I had water therapy!  I was so excited to be getting back into the water!!  Because I have been hurting, I was dreading this. I always hurt more after water therapy after my microfracture.  We walked quite a bit, focusing on my gait and full extension.  Guess what?!!  I actually feel better!! :D  It really felt good to be walking, too! Tomorrow, I see my Doctor, and Thursday it's back to the pool again.

Peg Leg

Offline lajama

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2007, 08:48:37 AM »
Hi Peg Leg,

I had my debridement and harvest last Thursday and Carticel translplant in 8 weeks.  I live in Raleigh but my doc is in Durham at Triangle Orthopedic Associates, small world huh.  who do you go to?  where was your surgery?  My TKR, PFA and scope were done by this doc,  my other 6 surgeries were done by an OS in Raleigh but he suggested a second opinion because he didn't do the patellofemoral arthroplasty.  I had the last 3 at the North Carolina Specialty Hospital which I highly recommend, that place is like a resort compared to most hospitals.  I have been VERY happy with my doc so far but was hoping maybe we had the same one so I would know exactly what to expect. 
Glad to hear you are doing so well.
J
34 yo F
Left:
1/87 realignment,LR
9/02 debridement,LR
1/03 osteotomy,LR
2/07 PKR-patellafemoral arthroplasty

Right:
12/03 debridement,LR
5/04 Osteotomy
2/06 debridement
10/06 PKR-patellafemoral arthroplasty
8/07   Carticel harvest
10/07 Carticel implant
4/08 scope, debridement

Offline and4400

• Regular Poster
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2007, 02:47:36 AM »
Peg Leg,
          Just wondered how your coming along?  How everything is going good.

Andy
Debridement Oct 06
Scope Apr 07
ACI done July 07
Scope May 08,Scope Dec09

Offline Peg Leg

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2007, 03:20:20 AM »
J,

It's a very small world!  My surgery was also at NC Specialty and it was done by Dr. Liebelt with Triangle Ortho.  I have been very impressed with him so far.  I am now 6 weeks post-op and I feel like things are going as well as can be expected. I would like to speak to your more about this, maybe thru email?  Good luck and I look forward to further conversations with you.

Peg Leg

support