Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Lateral Release, Arthroscopy, and Fulkerson  (Read 2400 times)

Offline natureofall

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Lateral Release, Arthroscopy, and Fulkerson
« on: June 27, 2007, 02:57:33 AM »
Hi All,
This is my first post, and I am just looking for some advice.  On July 31st I will be having my second knee surgery.  In April of '06 I had a right knee arthroscopy and lateral release and I did well for about 8 months before things began to rapidly deteriorate.  So now, in a matter of weeks my new OS will be re-doing all that was done in April, but will also be doing the Fulkerson proceedure. 

So I guess that my question is.....  what is your best advice you all can give me about the recovery from this combination of proceedures.

Thanks in advance,
Sarah

Offline Mandy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • You miss 100% of the shots you don't take
    • Knee Photos
Re: Lateral Release, Arthroscopy, and Fulkerson
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 04:02:25 PM »
Hi Sarah!

I've had the Fulkerson's on both knees.  The one that was done on my right seems to be doing fine, but the one on my left has been nothing short of horrible.  Because of my OS not doing the procedure very well on that side, I now have osteoarthritis, along with facing a more invasive realignment in the near future.  My main point, is make sure your OS has done many of these procedures.

Also, if you read on the boards about this, alot of people will mention bloodrushes.  I had them, and they were awful, but managable.  You just need to remember to move SLOWLY!  When I got out of the recliner to get up, I'd sit up to the ede of the chair for just a little bit, with my foot touching the floor.  After than slowly stand up and don't start moving right away.  Wait until you feel balanced enough and clearheaded (I was always dizzy). 

Besides that, I highly recommend a foot stool in the bathroom.  Being locked in a brace is ok except for when trying to use the restroom.  With the stool, your leg is a little bit more comfortable to have something to prop it up.  Also remember to ice ice ICE.  Can't say that enough, and that swelling needs to stay under control.   

Getting your house ready is another good thing.  Pick up any rugs you could trip on while on crutches.  If you live alone, prepare a few meals in advance and freeze them so it's easy to make.  Where you're going to be camped out for awhile (ie bed, chair, couch) have a little table near so you can put everything you need w/o getting up.  I always had my pain pills (also a pad of paper to write when I took them), water bottle, little snacks, ipod, books, magazines, remotes....anything!

Let me know if you have any other questions!  Many people around here have had this so ask away!!

Take care and good luck!
~Mandy :)
21 yrs old
12/04: plica removal (RK)
2/05: debridement, LR/TTT (RK)
6/05: debridement, LR/TTT (LK)
10/05: scar tissue removal/debridement (LK)
3/06: screw removal (both knees), debridement on TTT site (LK)
5/08: debridement, HTO, Maquet procedure (LK)

Offline lb573

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 04:46:31 PM »
Hi Sarah,

Your story sounds incredibly familiar! I also had an arthroscopic lateral release, which worked for about 6 months or so, and then i started to go downhill FAST! Last July i had the Fulkerson TTT/LR, and thus far i have to say it was one of the best decisions i made for my knee! Hmm, my best advice...i have to agree with everything that Mandy said. One thing that she mentioned, that i did not have after my Fulkerson/LR a year ago was a stool for the restroom...it would have been very handy to have, i ended up improvising with the garbage can. Are you getting a cryocuff? I have to say that was quite possibly the best thing post-op. Also, like Mandy said, the bloodrushes can be quite horrendous, so definately take your time getting up, slowly lower your leg to the ground and the discomfort from them can be lessened somewhat. After my TTT/LR i was living at home and my mom took off 3 days post-op so she could be there for me, and i really don't know what i would have done without her. After that, my dad came home at noon to fill my ice machine up and get me some lunch for a few more days. My lifesavers were my family, friends, the ice machine, the recliner, the TV tray beside my chair to place all necessary items on (as Mandy also mentioned), and tons of movies to watch. One thing that i did was have our phone fully charged the morning of surgery, and i kept my cell with me, so if the house phone died i would still have a phone without having to get up. Read the board, there are alot of people who have had a TTT, and lots of advice from many TTT veterans. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. This is a big surgery, and the more that you can get done beforehand and not have to worry about the first few days post-op will be a blessing!! Best of luck!!

Leah
27 yo RN
L Knee:
07/'01 - scope
01/'02 - scope
12/'03 - LR
07/28/2006 - TTT/LR/Patellar Debridement
07/11/2007 - Screw Removal
R Knee:
07/06/2007 - Patellar dislocation
04/10/2008 - TTT/LR
06/11/2008 - MCL tear, Bone Bruise
09/29/2009 - Medial plication/reconstruction/debridement

Offline lener

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 02:51:48 AM »
Hi Sarah
On June 21,2007 I had a Lateral Release, Arthroscopy and Faulkerson. I am a 55 year old female. I just had my first post-op
Dr. appointment and am doing very well. I happen to have found a Dr. that is very well versed in the surgery that I had. He was not in a hurry to do the surgery and wanted me to be able to put some thought into what I wanted and be able to ask questions. When I finally felt I had all my questions answered I made plans for my surgery.

I bought somethings to make my recovery at home easier. A cooling cuff which my insurance did not pay for but is well worth the price($185.), a stool for the shower and a stool to support my leg when using the bathroom.

Like I said the surgery went very well. The Dr. felt I was too young for a TKR, but it could be something I will need in the future. With that in mind he made my 4 in. incision vertical with my leg, so I will only have one scar after the TKR. I have been fairly pain free because I have been staying on top of my meds. I have been doing all my exercises and am right on track with mobility. I did not have the blood rushes that the other people discribed. I have been having hotflashes which have caused me to be sick to my stomach. I have not had them before because I am on hormones.

So far I am happy, but it is still too early to say what the long term out come will be.

My advise to you is to be sure your Dr. is very well versed in the  Falkerson procedure.

Good Luck
Lener

Offline kimmyxs

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 03:11:41 AM »
Lener makes an excellent point.  Don't try to be a hero and avoid the pain meds, if you do it will drive you nuts.  Take them as prescirbed for the first days after surgery.  You will recover quicker and be more sane during the process.  That first few days after surgery (after you get home) when the anesthesida wears off you will be grateful.

Have help getting up the first few days until you trust yourself and your ability to get around.  The PT as the hospital will help, but it is a bit scary at first.

Good luck.
6/03/89 - First Knee Cap Disclocation
7/05/89 - Returned to work
6/17/06 - Tramatic Knee Cap Dislocation and Vertical Fractured Patella
6/28/06 - ORIF - Screws - no wires
8/24/06 - Ditched the brace - start PT
9/20/06 - First spinning
1/15/07 - screw removal, LR , VMO Advanc  & patella cleanupl

Offline lener

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007, 09:21:29 PM »
Sarah
You need to remember that this is a big surgery.  In the beginning do ask for help getting up and moving around as Kimmyxs
said. I do not get out of bed without my brace on, crutches and husband's help.  My Dr. said I will be nonweight bearing on my surgery leg for 6 to 8 weeks. I am going to do exactly what he says because I want to have a healthy knee. 

Day 10 Post-op and feeling great.
Lener

Offline natureofall

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 02:43:26 AM »
Hi All,
FIrst of all thank you so much for the info.. It has been very very helpful.  My surgery is in less then 48 hours and I am starting to freak out a bit.  I have done all of the house work so that is ready, but I am worried about what to expect afterwards.  The guy is coming tomorrow to drop off the cryo cuff and CPM machine... But I still have a couple od questions for you...
Did you have a cast or an immobilizer right after surgery?
How soon after the surgery was over did you start bending?
What kind of brace did you have after?
How long was your surgery?
How long did you stay in the hospital?

And of course.. any last words of advice....
TIA,
Sarah

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 03:53:41 AM »
Hi Sarah,

I just had my 2nd TTT on 04-17-07 so i thought i would answer you questions...

Did you have a cast or an immobilizer right after surgery? I was in a Breg Post Op Lite ROM brace out of the hospital.  I was in the brace for a total of 8 weeks.

How soon after the surgery was over did you start bending? I was allowed to bend to 45* when sitting right out of the hospital.  Every few week my OS would incerase the amount i allowed to bend.  I was not allowed to bend my knee when walking until around 6 weeks.

What kind of brace did you have after? I moved into a very simple hinged brace at 8 weeks and was in this for a additional 4 weeks.  With my 1st TTT (in 2001) I did not have a 2ng brace.  I went from my PO brace to no Brace.

How long was your surgery? My surgery too a total of 1.5 hours.

How long did you stay in the hospital? With both my TTT's I was in the hospital overnight for pain control.  With my 2nd TTT it was set to be a outpatient surgery but was pushed back to late in the day due to delays at the hospital.  My OS was not confortable with the amount of time for pain control so he decided to keep me overnight.

Best of luck on you surgery.  Please remember the 1st week is the worst.  The best advise I can give is to keep up with the pain meds and ice, ice, ice. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Karen
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline natureofall

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 04:19:31 AM »
Hi Karen,
Thank you so much for your answers.  I guess that I am feeling a bit confused.  I am having the Fulkerson and a lateral release.  WHen I had the release last year i wasnt allowed to bend my knee for the first three weeks.  SO I guess that I am not really sure what to expect coming out of this one.  I am seeing everyone bending right away and I am really scared because I remember how badly the last one hurt.  Did you also have a lateral release when you had your TTT?
THanks Sarah

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2007, 05:18:20 AM »
Hi Sarah, 

I did have a LR with both my TTT's. Each OS has their own way of doing things.  If you read through some of the PO diary's you will see that alot of us had the same things done but had different PO instructions.  So don't be alarmed if you are given different instructions then you read about on this board.  The most inportant thing you can do is follow your PO instructions to a T.

Best of luck.  Let me know if I an answer any other questions.
Karen
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2007, 11:33:38 AM »
Hi Sarah,

I had a Fulkerson TTT with LR aug 21th 2002 at age 25. Very happy with the results and active as i'll ever be! Don't panic, prepare yourself and you'll be fine! I thought it was less painfull than I had anticipated! Never was bedridden, never had much pain and recovery was quick, although it can be har dmentally sometimes.

Now, your questions...

I was in a full leg cast from thigh to ankle for 3 weeks! First one who didn't start bending rightaway huh  ;D

After the cast was removed, 3 weeks post-op, I started PT. I only went 9 x in which I got full ROM back!

None, not even after the cast was removed, wore a Tubigip for a week I think

Don't remember exactly, I went in at 8, surgery at 8.30 and back in room at 9.45.

I stayed overnight for painmanagement but never was in any pain, just got 1 Paracetamol IV and then 1 NSAID IM. No M+ drip orpainpump or whatever. The spinal I would recommend!!

Hope this helps! And relax!! Any more Qs are welcome! ;)

Helena
Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation

Offline lb573

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2007, 11:20:18 PM »
Hi Sarah, there are goign to be such variations in the surgery experience for everybody. I too was very worried about pain going into the TTT/LR, as i had tremendous pain when i woke up after the LR...however with the TTT/LR i woke up with absolutely no pain whatsoever. My OS had filled the joint with so much anaesthetic i did not feel pain for a good 12 hours post-op...it was great! With that said, i started taking my pain meds after about 6 hours or so, just so that i would be keeping on top of the pain rather than playing catch up...

I was in an immobilizer for 6 weeks...

I think it was about 3 days post-op when i was allowed to remove the bulky dressings and peek at the incision. My OS had given me clearance to bend up to 90 degrees for the first 4 weeks post-op

I did not have to wear a brace afterwards at all. I wore the immobilizer for 6 weeks, and then went to an ace bandage for a couple weeks

I think it was around 1.5 hours in total

My surgery was done outpatient, so went home the same day, however i was the very last person out of the day surgery unit and they actually ended up leaving the place open a bit longer waiting for me to be ready to go home...i did not want to stay awake...

My advice to you is to relax. You have done all you can to get ready for this surgery, and i have to say that for me the anxiety pre-op was worse than the actual surgery and subsequent recovery. I had really no problems with pain or anything post-op, and all things considered all went really well. I had been taking narcotic painkillers for over a year pre-op and was pretty much down to only advil within less than a week post-op...it was very surprising to me. Best of luck with absolutely everything!!! Any other last minute questions, ask away!!

Leah
27 yo RN
L Knee:
07/'01 - scope
01/'02 - scope
12/'03 - LR
07/28/2006 - TTT/LR/Patellar Debridement
07/11/2007 - Screw Removal
R Knee:
07/06/2007 - Patellar dislocation
04/10/2008 - TTT/LR
06/11/2008 - MCL tear, Bone Bruise