Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Elmslie trillat/fulkerson procedure?  (Read 1938 times)

Offline sarah1928

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Elmslie trillat/fulkerson procedure?
« on: June 14, 2007, 01:05:02 AM »
Hi there

I have recently been told that I will need to have a TTT procedure done. The only problem is, is that my OS told me that he wasn't quite sure if he was going to do it through the Elmslie trillat procedure or the fulkerson procedure. He will only know when it actually opens the knee up and takes a look. My question is does anyone know the difference between the two types of procedures. I know that they are quite similar just wasn't sure why there is a question with my OS of which he is going to do. If anyone has any info on this I would be most greatfull.

Thanxs all

Sarah

Offline kraizeemom

• Regular Poster
Re: Elmslie trillat/fulkerson procedure?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 01:02:03 PM »
The best help I can give you is to direct you to this website... http://www.wheelessonline.com/ortho/distal_realignment_for_patellar_subluxation
I have had 2 fulkersons (one on each leg).  I also had tendon transplants, so I think there may have been a little more pain in mine than what you would experience.  Either way, don't turn down offers for pain relief.  The fulkersons have helped, as I have not had the dislocation problem I had.

Best of luck to you!

Angie
Recurring dislocating patellae, chondromalacia, PFS, LR Jan 2000, LR Mar 2000, bilateral Fulkersons w/medial patellar tendon transplants 2005, RSD, hypersensitivity, stress fracture, loose bone fragment from fulkerson 2006, rotatory instability, acl defieciency

Offline ataraktos

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 01:07:45 PM »
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I *think* ET repositions only laterally whereas Fulkerson repositions laterally as well as anteriorly ... the anterior placement would help if there was a lot of cartilage damage to the kneecap a/o trochlear groove. Don't know how important it is, but I think the broken bone in ET remains attached to the tibia at the bottom ( a little hinge-like piece and the bone is just slipped over). With Fulkerson, a bigger slice of bone is completely cut away, moved in two directions and is repositioned by 1 or more screws. Not sure about what hardware is used w/ ET.

Good luck!

Offline shortyclairebear

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 07:22:54 PM »
HI SARAH!!
long time no see!!
i hope you are doing well and i wish you luck for your upcoming operation!!
claire x
i had a motorcycle accident-landed on right knee!(mar 05)
...arthroscopy - 4th feb 06.
...VMO Advancement,LR+JMedial reefing - 24th jan 07.
...28 feb 07 i fell down 14 stairs.....more pain and stress!
...now at PT working on ROM and strenghening

brianne

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 11:54:27 PM »
Sarah,

The different versions of the TTT are because they displace the patella in the different ways.  I do believe that the ET is a straight cut whereas the Fulkerson is an oblique cut.

Your surgeon might not know because he is not sure what type of damage he is going to find when he gets in there.  I believe that the rehab is pretty much the same regaurdless of the type of TTT.

Good luck!

Brianne

Offline sinequanonsarah

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 05:44:35 PM »
Hi Sarah!

I had an ET done on my right and a Fulkerson on my left.  FUlkerson was decided upon on the left because of the huge amount of osteoporosis I had in that knee.  In my ET, the tibia was just moved over and screwed into place.  In my Fulkerson (which was decided upon because of dislocations AND major osteoarthritis), there was a larger incision, deeper cut into the bone, and when the bone was moved it was "shingled" so that it now comes out more toward the front of my body (anteriorally).  I also have two screws from the Fulkerson.

I found that the ET was an easier recovery for me, so I would keep my fingers crossed for that one :)

Best of Luck!
hypermobile joints
lateral release for patellar stabilization (L) 12/1995 and (R) 03/1996
Tibia Tubercle Transfer/Osteotomy (R) 08/1998 and (L) 06/2006
Synvisc injections (R & L) - 6 series since 2009
Steroid injections (R & L)

Offline sarah1928

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 12:15:20 AM »
Hi all

Thanks alot for all your replys I really appreciate the info.
I'll keep you all posted on any further developments with it as i'm due to see my OS sometime in July.

Thanks again

Sarah

support