Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Anti Inflamitories Not Working!!!  (Read 1470 times)

Offline ex-gymnast

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Anti Inflamitories Not Working!!!
« on: June 26, 2007, 02:59:05 AM »
Okay the short of it is that the back of both kneecaps are rotten and wearing away.  They have already scrapped the right kneecap 2 years ago.  Now both knees are at about an 11 on a scale of 1 to 10.  I am on Lodine (the only AI that doesn't send me into ashtma attacks.)  I can't see my ortho for 3 weeks and my PT says he can't help until the pain level is lower.  He has known me for 15 years says he has never seen me like this.  (I normally don't complain about the pain.)  Does anyone have an ideas.  I am doing ICE ICE AND ICE plus sleeping with it at 30 degress above horizional.

Please Help
Becky
If I knew I'd be like this now, I'd do it all again.
1998- Lf ACL replace (failed)
1998- Lf ACL replace (worked)
1998- Rt LR
1999- Rt Scope
2000- Rt ACL replace
2001- Rt hardware replace
2002- Rt Scar Tissue Removal
2005- Rt Pattella Scraped
2009- Rt clean-out the mess
To Come: 2 Replace

kiddthekatt

Re: Anti Inflamitories Not Working!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 03:13:26 AM »
Becky;
  Contact your primary doctor, he can help you out surely until you see your os. Just a thought, good luck.

Angel

Offline supersquiggly

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 03:32:54 AM »
Anti-inflammatory drugs don't work for me either.  As far as over the counter drugs go, I've taken a couple of gel cap tylenol, something fast acting that'll put me to sleep.  It works sometimes.  If you need something stronger I'd go to your doctor or out-patients and get something potent.  Also, maybe try alternating the ice with heat.  And try doing something to take your mind off your knees, like reading, or playing a game or talking to a friend or whatever works for you.
Good luck

Offline FindnNemo91

• Forum Faithful
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 03:38:40 AM »
they dont work for me either. Ive been on Lodine and Naprosyn. They dont work. I am supposed to be taking:

Ibuprofen, 800mg every 4 hours

one hour after ibuprofen, take 600mg of tylenol.

this little regimen didnt help either. I have been in pain and nothing is helping, even went through therapy w/o any pain meds. that sucked.

i would suggest going to your primary doc and getting something stronger.

sorry that i couldnt be of more help,
jak ;D
TTT/Lateral Release/Chondroplasty: May 15th, 2009
Brostrom Reconstruction: Oct 16th, 2009

~United States Army~
Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic

Offline ex-gymnast

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 04:10:13 AM »
Thanks guys.  I have tried heat it just increases the swelling.  I will call my pcp tomorrow.  In the past he has given me Hydrocodone until I could se my OS.  I hope this will help.  They tell me they will replace both knees when I am 40.  The pain right now is through the roof.  If anyone else has ideas let me know.

Becky
1998- Rt LR
1999- Rt Scope
2000- Rt ACL replace

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 06:05:48 AM »
That's a long wait if you are in that much pain. Maybe you need to talk with your OS seriously and see if replacement can be done earlier.
Your life is here and now and have to wait 10 years in so much pain and limitations doesn't seem right and fair.
Hope you find something that help with pain soon.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 12:52:07 AM »
Combining ibuprofen and acetamenophen together can be very effective since it mimics the physiological effectives of vicoden.  However, to get the full effective they need to be taken at the same time, it doesn't work as well when they are spaced out as suggested in a previous post.  If you can tolerate it, 800mg Ibuprofen and 1000-1500mg acetamenophen seems to work the best.  Just be careful, because it can make you very drowsy.

You PT should be able to try some different modalities to help modulate your pain.  Besides the ice, a TENS unit could offer you some relief.  Your PT should be able to loan you one to try out to see if it works. 
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Offline ex-gymnast

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 04:55:06 AM »
Thanks guys-

The Tens is not an option for me.  I have a reaction to it each time.  I called my pcp today and he gave me a shot of demarol/morphen, he to suggested starting tomorrow to take Ib and Tylonal at the same time.  pain is down to a 3 after my shot.  I can't have another one until I see the OS.  My pcp figures this one will last a day or two.  Now on crutches and wishing my OS wasn't on vacation.
1998- Rt LR
1999- Rt Scope
2000- Rt ACL replace

support