Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Recovery Time  (Read 617 times)

Offline VacationKneeInjury

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Recovery Time
« on: June 24, 2007, 10:13:53 PM »
I just found this web site - thank goodness as I have a terrible bout of feeling like I'm the only one going through this.

I fractured my tibia plateau in two spots (and fractured my ankle) while on vacation in Hawaii on 3 May 2007. I had to have surgery while there - 7 May (5 screws plus plates). I got to fly home on 12 May. I have had in-home PT and am now doing out patient PT two times a week.

I feel like the progress I'm making is so slow. I'm only able to bend 75 degrees and I have a 7 degree lag in my leg - which hasn't decrease after 6 weeks of PT.

Is this a terribly slow progress? Between doing my at-home exercises and trying to keep the swelling down, my days are filled with doubt that I will ever have a normal lifestyle and won't be able to chase my 4 year old again. I'm having a hard time keeping my chin up and staying motivated.

Thanks so much, Martha
3 May 2007 TPF, fractured ankle & detached ACL while on vacation on Kauai
7 May '07 Surgery 5 screws/3 plates
12 May Flew home
11 June Out Pt Physical Therapy
16 July 07 PWB
31 July 07 FWB
27 Aug 07 Back to work w/ crutches
110 flexion; 1 extension

redtoblack

Re: Recovery Time
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 10:31:39 PM »
Martha-

Although it probably doesn't feel like it, it's still really early in your recovery.  Don't panic and try to keep that chin up.  All that hard work you are doing will pay off in the end.  Everyone's body reacts differently and there isn't any set amount of time that things to take.  I know it's very hard, but try to stay positive.  When is your next Dr's appointment?  Maybe he/she will be able to give you an idea on your progress. 

I wish you the best of luck!

Jordan

Offline VacationKneeInjury

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Recovery Time
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 11:01:53 PM »
Thanks Jordan! I appreciate your feedback and words of encouragement. My next doctor's appointment is July 30th. I do get to start walking on July 18th - w/ 25% weight bearing. I guess I had no idea when all this happened that I would have a summer filled with rehab. Thanks again, Martha
3 May 2007 TPF, fractured ankle & detached ACL while on vacation on Kauai
7 May '07 Surgery 5 screws/3 plates
12 May Flew home
11 June Out Pt Physical Therapy
16 July 07 PWB
31 July 07 FWB
27 Aug 07 Back to work w/ crutches
110 flexion; 1 extension