Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: still in pain  (Read 1592 times)

Offline FindnNemo91

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: still in pain
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2007, 07:20:49 AM »
okay...so i chickened out about asking my aunt to take me to the ER. I just felt weird asking her. We watched "Breach" instead, which kinda took the focus off my knee a bit. Still in pain, though. Gonna go to the Sat. Market on crutches, mom kinda wants me to take it easy, so she wants me to use the crutches.

thanks so much for everyones reply,
jak
TTT/Lateral Release/Chondroplasty: May 15th, 2009
Brostrom Reconstruction: Oct 16th, 2009

~United States Army~
Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2007, 08:28:46 AM »
jak - sometimes to move to the next stage you have to dig your heels in and just say 'i cant do anything else in life until this pain is addressed'. the more stuff you keep doing (with or without a brace or crutches etc..) the more your family are gonna think youre just in a small bit of pain and that its not worth getting too excited about.
I understand that sometimes you want to do things despite the pain - just to try and have a bit of normality in life, but there are times where you gotta say 'NO - this is it now, im hurting too much to continue' - perhaps if you do that then someone close to you will take it more seriously?
I remember once a friend going to A&E with excruciating back pain, they nurse looked at him and said 'well you can walk - itll be at least a 4 hour wait'. it had taken every bit of effort he could muster to walk in there, her saying that was the last straw - he collapsed to the floor screaming in pain. that of course made him an 'emergency' because he couldnt walk - and he was seen much sooner.
so all im saying is - sometimes being brave, and dealing with it, and just getting on with things doesnt help you get the pain addressed!! and dont forget that its subjective - no one else can feel your pain - only you can. so if its terrible, you need to let that be known.
hugs to you jak.

1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline FindnNemo91

• Forum Faithful
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2007, 05:03:25 PM »
thanks so much for your post!!!

i did stand up to my mom the other day, cuz she wanted to call one of my friends and tell them to come over. I havent been going out because of the pain, and she thinks that i am being lazy, but the truth is that i cant even walk 1/4 of a mile. (tried that once on a treadmill, had a flareup that put me on crutches for 5 weeks)

i yelled at my mom and told her that i was in too much pain just to have fun and walk around downtown. I'm gonna go out today with crutches to ease the pain. The pain is better today, but it usually gets worse later when the walking has been done.

Thanks everyone for your responses, it feels so good to see a post on my question!!!
thanks again,
jak
TTT/Lateral Release/Chondroplasty: May 15th, 2009
Brostrom Reconstruction: Oct 16th, 2009

~United States Army~
Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2007, 03:29:29 PM »
How are you doing today?  Better I hope.

It is weird to ask for some things from the docs, but sometimes you just need to speak up.  Can you get to another OS for a second opinion?

It is hard to have fun when you hurt and others don't always understand.  They don't really know how much pain your in.

Take care and see about getting someone else to look at the knee.

Good luck.
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

support