Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: osteotomy  (Read 14637 times)

Offline whitey85

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: osteotomy
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2007, 02:25:07 AM »
Hi Kneedy and KWBG :)
thanks for all the info on how to navigate the site... I will be taking some time to read as much as possible.  I find that the surgery is always on my mind.. :(  probably just the fear of the whole process.  I biked a couple of times over the weekend...thought it felt pretty good...then i was sore walking after..but at this point I figure...it's going to hurt no matter what I do, so I might as well just workout and get strong for the surgery  ;D  So now i am trying to bike 3-4 times per week and do some strength training at the gym.
ok..off to do some more reading  :)

Offline kneedy8

• Regular Poster
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2007, 10:33:39 PM »
Hi KWBG: I wonder how many others like us that had a total meniscectomy when they were younger are out there? ??? There are probably a few I would guess. :(

Hi Whitely: Sounds like you are going through all the same emotions as me...the surgery is always not far from my mind also. As it gets closer, I am probably going to get even more anxious. Its the not knowing exactly what to expect which is hard. I am also going to the gym to do some workouts and keep the quads and upper body strong. I am able to bike (thank gawd) and am going to 2 spinning classes a week. (Don't always keep up to everyone else, but I do what I can). It helps in other ways also, keeping the mind off other things, and feeling better in general. I can't do much walking, which I really miss.  >:( I miss walking my dog. Next spring/summer will be different! :)

Must go...........to my class.

Offline knee-will-be-great

• Forum Faithful
  • Open-wedge HTO & ACL allograft done (YES!)
    • ACL Allograft #3 Post-Surgery Rehab/Wellness Diary
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2007, 11:26:01 PM »
Hi KWBG: I wonder how many others like us that had a total meniscectomy when they were younger are out there? ??? There are probably a few I would guess. :(

Hi Kneedy,

Yes, I would imagine that there are quite a few of us "young" folks in the prime of life who are suffering as a result of this (to my mind) non-sensical medial menisectomy business.  And to boot, the surgeon at the time cut out my entire ACL (which, I understand was only partially ripped).  My big problem when I had this injury 32 years ago was not the laxity of the joint, but the joint being impinged as a result of a torn meniscus. 

So here we are!!! 

All I can say is let's make the best of our situations and ensure that our young 40 plus bodies are taut and in good shape ...  ;D

We have it in us girls!

Cheers ...........

KWBG!
Medial Menisectomy, 1 ACL Autograft, 3 ACL Allografts, HTO, numerous debridements, good now :)
ACL Allograft #3 Post-Surgery Rehab/Wellness Diary http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=37218.0;all
ACL Reconstruction VIDEOS http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=37773.0

Offline rottenkid

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2007, 05:17:42 AM »
Hi, First sorry to see you have suffered long with your knees. I am set to have the OBI tru fit plugs installed in my left leg. I am 44 so I'm at that age were there is not a whole lot of options. I need a plug on the femur and patella due to an accident. My knee cap has a small fracture that has gridded away at the cartilage. I see that you plugs failed did you have them re-done or re-shaped or just removed. What were you told as far as recovery time for this type of surgery? If you still have them are you happy with them?
thanks for the info RoTTeN KiD
Dec 4th 07 arthrosurface hemicap and polyurethane button LK
July 12th 07 arthroscope torn cartilage LK
feb 6th 07 3rd degree sprain MCL 2nd degree sprain ACL LK
Jan 87" bi-lateral release RK
Feb 86" arthroscope cartilage tear RK
Dec 85 'knee drained RK
Oct 85" knee draied
feb 85" arthroscope Rk

Offline kneedy8

• Regular Poster
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2007, 12:59:53 PM »
Hi Whitely: I read your posting regarding post-op flying with interest. I am invited to a wedding, dinner and reception 3 weeks post-op and need to let them know by Sept if I am going. I am going to ask the advice of my surgeon, but am hoping to at least attend the wedding. There is a lot of stairs at the church though, and I doubt there is an elevator. August is almost here and I will be getting even more anxious by then. I am off work for a week and when I return, I will start training someone to do my job while away. Do you work? If so, how long are you planning to be off? My surgeon has said 4 to 6 months. I do probably an equal amount of walking/standing/sitting. The worst part being, I am always going up and down stairs. Talk later.......

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2007, 01:30:55 PM »
Hi Kneedy and Whitey,

Just thought that I would pop in and say Good Saturday Morning.   ;D

RE: The Wedding Plans:  You won't be weight-bearing at 3 - 4 - 6 weeks post-op.  I have navigated public stairs at 3 weeks and found the experience harrowing because of the people walking/stepping past me quickly.  I also had a chair upon which to prop up my knee during one event I attended at 3 weeks post-op.  At home I have three sets of stairs to navigate.  Needless to say, I did not spend much time washing clothes for the first two-three months.  Just didn't want to go to the basement.

Suggestion:

At the church:
Make certain that you get to the church very early and ensure that you are seated somewhere where people won't crawl over you.  Wait for all people to leave the church before you get up and decide to walk back down the stairs.

At the reception:
Be the earliest to get there and seat yourself strategically, i.e., close to the washroom.  Ensure if at all possibile that you are out of the pathway(s) of people traffic and the dance floor.  Wouldn't want to see your leg get creamed by some inebriated dancer doing the moonwalk or a polka. 

Make sure that you don't get bonked on the leg. 

TIPS FOR YOU and THE HOME:

1.  Remove all area small carpets from your floors.  Get rid of floor-bound clutter.
2.  Make certain all pets are more closely monitored.  Cats and dogs just want to help you out ... but they do have a tendency to keep underfoot.
3.  Get a resin chair to use in the shower.  To prevent damage to your bathtub by the chair's feet, buy some foam and some string and wrap the feet with foam booties.  Do a trial run on getting into the shower, getting into the resin chair and washing yourself/your hair with a leg that is immobilised - and that you cannot put ANY weight on at all.  Remember - not even a tippy toe on the floor for ballast.
4.  Purchase duct tape (you know, llike Red Green's duct tap).  Use the duct tape to wrap around the top and bottom of the cut open garbage bag (when it is around your leg) that you will use when you shower. 
5.  If you don't have one already, get a hand-held shower attachment.  Do not stand in the shower. 
6.  Start cooking and freezing your/the family's favourite meals. 
7.  Make bran muffins with raisins and pulverised prunes.  If you want, I have a great recipe.  Freeze at least 60 (maybe 90) for two-three month's supply for yourself.  Believe me, you'll be thankful to have your morning bran muffin.  Being inactive and on pain killers does not make for fast bowels.
8.  Get your crutches now and start practising the ol' one-leg hippity hop.
9.  Eat an anti-imflammatory diet and drink cod liver oil ... also, I drink POM (concentrated Pomegranite juice).  Good stuff.

Cheers girls .......... Have a great Saturday!

KWBG!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 01:50:16 PM by knee-will-be-great »
Medial Menisectomy, 1 ACL Autograft, 3 ACL Allografts, HTO, numerous debridements, good now :)
ACL Allograft #3 Post-Surgery Rehab/Wellness Diary http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=37218.0;all
ACL Reconstruction VIDEOS http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=37773.0

Offline katmomx2

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Labor and Delivery Surg Tech
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2007, 05:24:47 PM »
Hello all,

I have been following this thread and have not yet jumped on. I had the femoral osteotomy 2 years ago. I was also without and lateral meniscus and stage IV OA. Medial side was still in good shape. At 39 I opted for the surgery. It was tough but not in some ways. I went everywhere on crutches. Beach, Lake , Airport, Took care of my 2 boys who were 3 and 13 at the time. KWBG has great tips for the post op. Shower chair is a must. I also would recommend the raised potty. Stairs are daunting I have a small set at my house and the first couple of times are the worst, but then it is second nature. I was NWB for over 3 months. I stayed with my mom for 3 weeks and then came home and had help from freinds and neighbors. I was allowed to drive at 6 weeks which really helped with the feeling couped up. For me I am glad I did this. My OS did a great job. The surgery was a 2 fold growth process for me as the time off allowed me to evaluate my life. I enrolled in school. I am fixing to graduate a 2 year Surgical Technology program. I can stand in the OR and my leg is holding up well. I am hoping to be an Ortho Tech. Go figure.

Good luck to yall and I look forward to watching your journey

Kat in Texas
OA lateral compartment left knee
Scope, chrondroplasty,debride, Menisectomy Jan 03 ,Hyalgan series
Lateral offloader brace
Over 30 degree valgus
Distal femoral closing wedge osteotomy 6/05
Loose staple, staple removal and another scope 11/05
Surg tech graduation 2/08
Tech Labor and delivery

Offline whitey85

• Regular Poster
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2007, 01:56:20 AM »
Hi all... it is great to be able to read these posts!  KWBG has some amazing 'how-to' tips...the advice is excellent and I plan to take advantage of it!!  Kneedy...I do work...i spend a fair amount of time on my feet...and I have a lot of different things to do during the course of the day.  I still have to see what my OS says re: how much time he thinks I will be out of work.  I told them 6weeks miin.  I'm looking forward to some time off to really think about my job etc.  It will allow me to get moving on a baby blanket I need to make for my niece too!  I chuckled when I read KWBG's pet tips...I definitely have to be careful with my little dog.  all 150 lbs of her (st. bernard)..she'll be keeping me company  ;)   I'm not worried about getting around with the crutches...i have had plenty of practice in the past...the last time I was on them was in the winter...that was a challenge!  if my surgeon gives me the ok to fly..i'm going.  I'll deal with the crutches etc...i think the toughest part will be actually trying to be able to position myself on a plane...that could me a tough one...but we shall see.  I can't imagine not driving this long etc...uggh.  I had a broken ankle a year ago and figured out how to get around that one!  ....but this will be impossible this time around.  It's was good to read Kat was all over the place on the crutches..way to go!  and even more interesting was the decision to start school and a new career....that is very interesting to me!   
Well....that's all for now... here's to healing knees!! ;D

Offline daisygirl2

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2007, 02:20:01 AM »
hey I know I'm REALLY late on hopping onto this topic but I moved and haven't been able to be on the internet for awhile.

Anyway I recently had 2 Derotational Femoral ostetomies. (right june 06 and left dec. 06) at now a year post op I have to stay I only wish I didn't wait 24 years to have it done!!! (but my ostetomy was to stop hip pain I'm still waiting to see what the doc is gonna do about my trashed right knee)

My expereince was that it was MORE painful PRE_OP then it was POST op. yeah my pain was THAT bad. Also I managed to get myself kicked out of the hospital in a day and a half. and I was completely off the pain meds in 4 days. they gave me vicodan since percocet makes me ill. (just be prepared for any and all HOUSE MD jokes if you have to use a cane!)

the worst expereince was coming home from the hospital....make sure they give you your meds in time for your discharge or it will be exteremely painful on the way home.

and make sure if you have a dog it doesn't jump on you (after coming home and FINALLY settleing on the couch my mom's 65 lb german shepard puppy decided to run and jump and landed full weight on my operated leg......and landed SQUARELY on the ostetomy site....ouch)

but I wish you the best of luck!!! and It may look really bad but the end result is worth it!!  ;D

Offline whitey85

• Regular Poster
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2007, 03:45:12 AM »
hey daisygirl..glad to hear your experience was positive...I'm hoping I can be one of the lucky ones that don't need to be on the pain meds too long etc.  I have been in an  brace for a couple of months and it has definitely helped with the pain...but the bottom line is that the knee isn't better and will only get worse.  Before the brace I had to grip the side of a table just to slowly stand up and straighten the knee.  When I don't wear it for a bit I can feel it getting more difficult to stand up etc...so I figured that I would do the surgery while i am young :-\(ok...i always felt young) and hopefully be strong for a good recovery.  I've had pain for so long that I can't recall what it felt like to walk around with no pain.  In a few shorts weeks i'll be writing my post-op diary....scary! :-\

Offline cat

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2007, 02:10:50 PM »
Hey daisygirl,
I'm told I need a femoral derotation. I've been trying rather unsuccessfully to find others who have had this done. It's is very encouraging to hear that you've been pleased with your results. Where was your osteotomy done- near the hip or near the knee? Does your foot turn out now? I've wondered what that would be like to swim, walk ect with a foot turned out. Did rotating your leg cause any muscles to loosen or tighten up? Does the hardware bother you?

whitey85,
what kind of osteotomy are you having? Good luck to you.

;D cat  ;D
"Miserable malalignment"
 Lateral release, medial reefing, VMO advancement, and TTT-  3/2/04
Screw removal- 5/24/05
Cortisone injection to pes anserine- 7/27/05
Femoral derotation osteotomy, TTT revision- 10/18/07

Offline whitey85

• Regular Poster
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2007, 03:22:45 PM »
hey kat...  apparently mine is an open wedge hto... my damage is all on the medial side...  my date is one month from today...yikes!!!!! :o

whitey

Offline kneedy8

• Regular Poster
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2007, 03:48:36 PM »
Hi All: Thanks to KWBG for the wedding and post-op tips. It is soooo appreciated!  :)

Kat: I had read some of your posts and you are also an inspiration: Going all those places with your kids and changing your career!

Daisygirl:  2 derotational femoral osteotomies! Makes one HTO seem minor! Thanks for your words of encouragement!

I also have a Brittany spaniel who scares me a little! She is just one year old and loves to play and be rough! Out of nowhere she will decide she wants to play and will just up to get ones attention. Could be rough with a broken leg!  :-\

I have a cousin that works in the orthopedic OR and she has been so helpful also. To Whitely: get the femoral nerve block! That makes a BIG difference in post-op pain. I am also going to ask for the cryo-cuff. Also need a raised toilet seat and shower chair. My cousin said with the brace, plate and screws the osteotomy site is fairly protected - however, it can really, really hurt to get it bumped  :'( (as Daisygirl noted). I am not quite as nervous now after talking with her...they do these all the time and they know what they are doing. She will be there before I go in for my surgery and will be there after...she cannot attend my surgery though. Apparently they are not allowed to assist with a relative. This is someone who has been struggling with breast, lung and brain cancer for 20 years! Yeah, so it is very difficult to complain around her!

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2007, 10:09:23 PM »
hey kat...  apparently mine is an open wedge hto... my damage is all on the medial side...  my date is one month from today...yikes!!!!! :o

whitey

Hey Whitey,

Don't worry ...

You and Kneedy and Cat and the rest of you osteotomy Kneegeeks-in-waiting have lots of support here ...

Remember, I had my open-wedge internal fixation high tibial osteotomy ... in January 2006.  I lived through the snow and slush and the cold and being pent up indoors ... You girls will do fine!  It will still be summer ... and you can sit out on a lounge chair - in the sun!

In preparation for the HTO, why not buy a book or seven on Feng Shui and Feng Shui your house?  Buy some bamboo shoots - you know - the ones with the curly ends - and decorate a little place of your world just for you and your new knee/leg to sit by and read, etc.  Get the bamboo shoots in odd numbers - never even.  I think three, five or seven are lucky numbers ... definitely seven!

Cheers ............ Knee-will-be-great!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 12:51:27 AM by knee-will-be-great »

Offline cat

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2007, 11:29:17 PM »
I've been coveting some of those cool bamboo shoots..You just gave me the excuse for getting some. ;D ;D
"Miserable malalignment"
 Lateral release, medial reefing, VMO advancement, and TTT-  3/2/04
Screw removal- 5/24/05
Cortisone injection to pes anserine- 7/27/05
Femoral derotation osteotomy, TTT revision- 10/18/07

support