Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: osteotomy  (Read 14638 times)

Offline brattkids

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • here's to a pain free tomorrow!!! Savvy
Re: osteotomy
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2007, 07:41:03 PM »
he had both an epidural and general. The epidural came out on day two and he came home on day 2.  He was so used to getting around on crutches that he really didnt need alot of help. We have two boys that helped get him drinks and such but other than that he just needed a shower chair so that he could sit while showering.

He had percocet for pain at home and that seemed to do ok for him.

As for the collapse they really cant give him a reason. At the time he wasnt really overweight and he wasnt doing much of anything in the way of impact sports or exercise. He was walking and doing the PT they had for him. So the OS calls it a mystery whatever that means LOL  :)

Like I said before the biggest bother was being on the crutches for 6 weeks with no weight bearing. He doesnt like to sit alot  ;D

anything else just let me know

Paulette
4/04 microfracture
5/04 debris removal
8/04 OATS with synthetic plugs
11/04 OATS traditional autograft medial femoral chondyle
05/05 debris removal and OATS assessment
6/05 Cadaver Allograft OATS lateral femoral chondyle
9/05 OATS redone could not save allograft plug
12/2006 2007 and 2008 scop

Offline kneedy8

• Regular Poster
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2007, 01:33:32 AM »
Hi: Thanks for the info. So from your posts, the procedure was painful, but controlled. Its been years since I've been on crutches, so new to that, but I will have lots of time to get perfect!  ::) I guess I should look into a shower chair. Thanks for your help and if you have any other tips or bits of advice, please pass them on.  ;) Thanks again!

Offline brattkids

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • here's to a pain free tomorrow!!! Savvy
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2007, 07:29:14 PM »
It was painful yes but controlled!!

I would definitely recommend the shower chair. It puts alot of strain on your other leg and hip having to stand one legged in the shower WOW. I would also recommend getting a polar pack (one of those ice pack machines that is a cooler with a pump) if your not getting one already. That was GREAT it saved so much getting up and getting ice all the time. It runs for about 6-8 hours without having to refill the ice!!!!
4/04 microfracture
5/04 debris removal
8/04 OATS with synthetic plugs
11/04 OATS traditional autograft medial femoral chondyle
05/05 debris removal and OATS assessment
6/05 Cadaver Allograft OATS lateral femoral chondyle
9/05 OATS redone could not save allograft plug
12/2006 2007 and 2008 scop

Offline whitey85

• Regular Poster
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2007, 03:11:09 AM »
hi kneedy8 and all...i've been off the computer for a few days...i have my next appt 8/10 so i'm going to have my list of questions ready then.  I don't know the exact type of procedure :o .  My OS did not feel there would be bone weakness... i asked him about going from a osteotomy to the TKR and he did not feel that would be a problem.  He told me that this procedure or a PKR would buy me about the same amount of time...but i'm hoping to get back to a better level of activity so the osteotomy is what I decided :-\   I just talked to someone today who has a grandaughter that had the procedure and is doing pretty well (just had surgery a few days ago)  the key is definitely sticking to the pain meds in the beginning.  I'm not too nervous about the crutches as unfortunately I have plenty of experience with them from many soccer injuries ;D  My surgery is the end of August so I'm trying to enjoy the rest of the summer!...until the surgery I will try to gather as much info as possible!

Offline lener

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2007, 04:43:43 AM »
The cooling cuff is a great thing to get. My husband got tired of the ice runs to the store, so he came up with a great idea. He got 8 water bottles, that fit the machine. He froze the bottles of water. He place 4 bottles at a time with water in the machine. My machine gave me a cold cuff for 24 hours before it had to be changed.
The other things that worked for me was the raised toilet seat and a timer so I never let my pain meds lapse.
Good Luck
Lener

Offline stickshifty

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2007, 04:45:29 AM »
Here's  a new alternative to the total knee replacement.   

http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/stories/2007/07/09/daily3.html?from_msnbc=1

best of luck, kneeswp

Sorry this is EXTREMELY random, but there was an article about how Smith & Nephew were leading an effort to "re-take" their sketchy street and make it a better place (i.e., rid it of the prostitutes and topless clubs). So right now I'm all for Smith & Nephew. Props to them for trying to make Memphrica a better place to live.
7.22.2004: horseback riding accident :(
5.9.2008: scope + plica removal on left knee.
12.16.2008: de-plica-tize my right knee.
3.14.2011: lateral release + medial plication on left knee.

It's great to be a Tennessee Vol!!!!

Offline kneedy8

• Regular Poster
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2007, 09:43:08 PM »
Hi Whitely85 and others: I was wondering what happened to you...thought we scared you off. What date is your surgery? Mine was suppose to be in August but I got it changed to Sept 12, so I can help my kids move back to University and it will be considerably more quiet around here by then. Yes, I too am trying to enjoy my summer...its seems the surgery is always on my mine though, and am struggling trying not to worry about it. I see my OS again August 20, so I too will have lots of questions by then. I am definitely pursing the femoral nerve block and the cryo cuff (ice machine). I am having an open wedge, medial side, donor bone. My OS is a strong believer in not using artifical parts until absolutely necessary. I was told I would have no restrictions once everything is healed. Later....

Offline whitey85

• Regular Poster
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2007, 10:12:39 PM »
hi kneedy:   my surgery date is 8/31 :o  i have a pre-op appt. on 8/10 so hopefully i have all my questions in order.  I'm trying to exercise to some extent to keep strong going into surgery.  I have spoken  to a couple of friends that are physical therapists...both commented that the surgery is a good option but a tough rehab.  I have been wearing a brace for about 8 weeks and it has helped with the day to day pain a bit, but i still cannot run etc.  i am also constantly thinking about the surgery...even though i would like to forget about it for a while!  I guess it's the unknown of whether it will work, and how tough the recovery will be etc...   
thanks for all the support everyone!!

Offline kneedy8

• Regular Poster
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2007, 10:06:46 PM »
Hey Whitey: Check out my posting under Arthritis, changing the forces through the joint, HTO upcoming. Read the posting by Knee will be Great.  If you haven't already you should read her past postings. She is an inspiration and her postings help me to feel more calm about this surgery. Hopefully, they will do the same for you ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 10:09:59 PM by kneedy8 »

Offline knee-will-be-great

• Forum Faithful
  • Open-wedge HTO & ACL allograft done (YES!)
    • ACL Allograft #3 Post-Surgery Rehab/Wellness Diary
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2007, 12:19:23 AM »
Hi Kneedy8 and Whitey85:

Yep, (Really and truly), the HTO is not that bad!  I had an open-wedge, internal fixation HTO with donor bone chips packed into the wedge.  My "varus" was about 10 to 12 degrees prior to surgery.  Now the leg is exactly the same as the other leg - and not bowed in anymore!  The OS may have "overcorrected" it into "valgus" by about one degree to further take the load off of the medial compartment.

MY HTO diary and comments starts in January 2006.  Check the links; lots of info there.

Thanks for the good words Kneedy8!  I want to help others as best as I can ... because .... I have been there, done that ... feel empathy for others going through knee issues.  Just my way - passing good things/information forward. 

Now I am recovering for ACL reconstruction #3 using and allograft (donor tissue).  This most recent surgery was done June 14th of this year.  Doing great (again).

Next on the list - joint resurfacing using abrasion arthoplasty (I hipe/expect) - preceded by removal of a Popliteal cyst (Baker's cyst) at the back of my knee.

Summary:   Stay positive girls ... it really and truly is not so bad ... and the joy it brings you (able to be active) is GREAT!  ;D 

Note:  I would say that you need at least 12 months (post surgery) to really be able to "give it" and be truly active.  Had my surgery Jan. 19th ... did my first tentative steps without crutches on May 1st. 

Cheers ............ from KWBG!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 12:26:21 AM by knee-will-be-great »
Medial Menisectomy, 1 ACL Autograft, 3 ACL Allografts, HTO, numerous debridements, good now :)
ACL Allograft #3 Post-Surgery Rehab/Wellness Diary http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=37218.0;all
ACL Reconstruction VIDEOS http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=37773.0

Offline whitey85

• Regular Poster
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2007, 03:45:30 AM »
hi kneedy and knee-will-be-great. ...
thanks for all the info/support.  It is nice to hear from at least someone that it is not totally horrible!  I hope the surgery will go smoothly, but by some of the postings I fear the post-op pain etc...although one post i read has stuck in my head...meds, meds, meds hahaha
i'm having a little trouble locating the past diary etc...any help in how to locate the info?  i'm not very good at navigating around the site yet  ;D
some day i hope to write about how i have no knee pain ;)
talk soon !

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2007, 01:48:40 PM »
Hi Whitey85,

To access my diary and postings about my HTO,

Go into my profile first.  This means hitting my name - Knee-will-be-great and then at the bottom of the screen it will say "send this person a personal message".

Then below that is "See/view the last posts of this person". 

Then to the last page of my postings and scroll through them.  Page 1 is the most recent postings; the last page is the highest page number.

Then start reading the postings from 2006.
Medial Menisectomy, 1 ACL Autograft, 3 ACL Allografts, HTO, numerous debridements, good now :)
ACL Allograft #3 Post-Surgery Rehab/Wellness Diary http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=37218.0;all
ACL Reconstruction VIDEOS http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=37773.0

Offline whitey85

• Regular Poster
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2007, 04:13:06 AM »
hi knee-will-be-great..thanks for the info.  I was able to locate the posts... :)  a ton of good information and it was very inspiring to  read.  I've been trying to bike and workout...and i'll definitely try to really eat well...it all makes perfect sense!
 ;D
thanks again for all the info!!

Offline kneedy8

• Regular Poster
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2007, 03:52:13 PM »
Whitey: Another way to search posts on this subject is to click on the related subject ie. General knee questions and comments, Changing the forces through the joint, Post-Op Diaries, Your success stories and then type in either HTO and osteotomy and all the posts with this info in the message will come up. Good luck...there lots and lots to read.

Knee-Will-Be-Great: I was reading some of your posts and your bad knee experience is quite similar to mine. My injury happened while playing basketball in high school and my surgeon at the time also did a total removal of the medial meniscus. Also, I ruptured my ACL at the time. Yeah, so now I am bone on bone and thus need the HTO.  ::)

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2007, 05:35:46 PM »
Whitey: Another way to search posts on this subject is to click on the related subject ie. General knee questions and comments, Changing the forces through the joint, Post-Op Diaries, Your success stories and then type in either HTO and osteotomy and all the posts with this info in the message will come up. Good luck...there lots and lots to read.

Knee-Will-Be-Great: I was reading some of your posts and your bad knee experience is quite similar to mine. My injury happened while playing basketball in high school and my surgeon at the time also did a total removal of the medial meniscus. Also, I ruptured my ACL at the time. Yeah, so now I am bone on bone and thus need the HTO.  ::)

Hi Kneedy8,

Yep our experiences (Medial Menisus removal and ACL tear as teenagers was a real bummer;  I know you share my desire to get a good knee out of this process ... let's hope that after you get this done, then you can start doing things again ...

Cheers to you and Whitey85 ! :D

.......... Knee-will-be-great!