Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: CAN ANYONE ANSWER THIS QUESTION?????  (Read 1095 times)

Offline luckygrandma

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
CAN ANYONE ANSWER THIS QUESTION?????
« on: June 22, 2007, 10:38:41 PM »
I'VE HAD THREE OPERATIONS IN THE PAST TWO YEARS ON MY RIGHT KNEE AND 2 BACK SURGERIES. dURING THIS TIME I WALK STIFF LEGGED AND THE KNEE HURTS TO BEND AND STRAIGHTEN. IT WAS THOUGHT THE PROBLEM WAS A PINCHED NERVE BECAUSE OF MY BACK BUT THAT PROBLEM HAS BEEN SOLVED. THE BACK SURGERIES TOOK CARE OF THAT PAIN BUT I STILL HAVE KNEE PAIN AND WALK STIFF LEGGED. TODAY MY THERAPIST DID A TEST ON ME AND FEEL THAT I HAVE TORN THE ACL. HAS ANYONE EVER DONE THIS AFTER A KNEE REPLACEMENT OR COULD THIS HAVE BEEN A PROBLEM BEFORE THE KNEE REPLACEMENT AND NEVER TAKEN CARE OF IN SURGERY OR COULD I HAVE JUST TORN IT AGAIN.  ANY OPINIONS I WOULD APPRECIATE.

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • OSCAR
Re: CAN ANYONE ANSWER THIS QUESTION?????
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2007, 01:12:59 AM »
HI Becky,

I think of you a lot. How is your daughter and the rest of your family? I'll catch up with you by e-mail soon.

I can't tell you what a torn ligament is like but I now have some idea of ligament pain. Have you been told to rest? Or not to do anything too strenuous? If not, what are your doctors going to do about it? I can't believe there's something else wrong. I thought you were doing well after your last surgery. I'm so sorry you have to go through more pain; it's just one thing after another.

Like I said, I can't really tell you what you need to know but if you need to chat you know where I am.

Take care,

Laura x
Left knee surgery
08/06/02 - L/Release
13/08/03 - Fulkerson TTT
05/06/05 - Stabilisation & Medialisation/Tendon Transfer
13/01/06 - Proximal Hamstring Superior Stabilisation
06/03/06 - RSD/CRPS diagnosed
20/07/06 + 03/04/07- Excision of scar tissue
30/07/07 - PKR suggested by OS (no date yet)

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007, 07:30:01 AM »
It may be different nowadays but it used to be that doctors removed some of the ligaments when they did a knee replacement. For a partial knee replacement you need an intact ACL but for a total it's not necessary. If it was torn when you had your TKR they most likely would have just removed it.

Offline luckygrandma

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2007, 01:03:02 PM »
Thanks for your responses. There is definately something wrong with my TKR. It overextends and it is not stabile. It buckles under me and is weak. I had this TKR reviswed from a PKR 1 1/2 years ago and I've had therapy for it and my back at the same time before and after surgery and am in therapy again for my back and knee and the therapy doesn't seem to help it. I refuse more surgery as I've had so much in the past two years it is not safe. I'm hoping a brace to stabilize the knee will help. The therapist recommends this, but can't do anything like that until I see my OS on July 10th. I didn't have my proper follow-ups for my knee as I have been tied up with back surgery over the past six months. They need to get their heads together and figure out what is wrong as I still cannot walk on my own. 5 surgeries later and my back and knee still hurt. :'(

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2007, 02:23:46 PM »
How about getting muscles back ? Are there enough ? Could be the problem too.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2007, 03:14:28 PM »
Yeah, i'm pretty sure they remove the ACL during a TKR.  There are ones that can replace your PCL.. or not.. but the ACL always goes... I believe.
I think you definately need to get your TKR looked at...  I partially tore my ACL back over  a year ago, and I definately don't walk stiff legged.. more like with my knee locked in flexion for fear of it slipping out on me.

Check with your OS! I think you should.. ASAP
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline missmyknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 20
  • From the Land of OZ
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2007, 04:26:51 PM »
Yes, the ACL is removed with a TKR. The PCL is sometimes retained depending on the component used and doctor's preference. I had a rotating platform TKR. I kept my PCL. Some docs remove it and some don't. However , I dislocated my prothesis with a twisting injury resulting in a torn PCL and posterolateral corner which all showed up as alot of instability. I had to have a reconstruction done to the posterolateral corner and my femoral component was revised to a PCL sacrificing one and a larger spacer to take up the laxity that occured. I had another set back in January where I fell down the stairs and completely tore my MCL resulting in alot of instability. I was in a bivalve cast 8 weeks and had surgery in May. OS thought I would be getting an MCL allograft but it turns out it had healed enough, however the MCL and LCL were stretched out quite a bit. I only needed another spacer exchange to a larger spacer to take up the laxity and joint space opening again. What you describe sounds like some sort of ligament damage or stretched out ligament with your instability. You still have your collateral ligamanets and possibly your PCL. Your OS will determine if you have any ligamant damage/stretching, loosening of components etc from all your instability. Due to all these ligament injuries, I now have to wear a Don Joy custom defiance brace. I also walked stiff legged because of the instability and pain....I didn't want to feel my knee shift around.

Pam
4Fx Clsd red
IMrod fib plate
derotate osteotmy tibfib
AF
IPCS patbaja
DeLeeOsteotmy,LOA,LR Zplasty,bongrf,chondrplty
chondrplty,LOA,fatpad remvd
TKR
openLOA,neurectmy,ITB Zplasty,fabela
PLC recon,revison,LOA,synovec
MCL,revison LOA
openLOA,prox Zplasty
openLOA, 6 neuromas excised,synov
3 Fusions

Offline luckygrandma

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2007, 05:13:05 PM »
Thanks Pam you are describing my problem pretty close. I think my stiff leggedness is also due to trying to avoid the pain becasue if I bend the knee it hurts so much that I avoid beding it. I feel I'm causing myself more problems with the way I walk but phycologicaly I have no idea how to correct this.  I'm in pool therapy twice aweek and land once. I have full ROM when I am sitting but whem I walk it's as if it isn't the same knee. It does feel like something has streched and straightening is no problem but bending it after it has stretched is very painful. I've had 5 major surgeries in 2 years and I don't know what I'm going to do if once again he says I need surgery. I do have an appointment with my OS July 10th. Becky