Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: still in pain  (Read 1558 times)

Offline FindnNemo91

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
    • My Facebook Profile
still in pain
« on: June 22, 2007, 06:01:37 PM »
I am still in so much pain without an answer for it. I am trying to reach a pain management center, where my OS referred me to, but they still haven't called back. It's been like 3 days, and everytime that i call, i get an answering machine. I am so tired of the pain, every time that i put any weight on my leg, i almost buckle in pain. (even with/without a knee brace) I cant stand this anymore. i dont know if i will have to use crutches again, because of the unbearable amount of pain that i am in. I have no answers, just pain.

Please, even just an inspiring word or some pain management advice,

thanks so much,
jak
TTT/Lateral Release/Chondroplasty: May 15th, 2009
Brostrom Reconstruction: Oct 16th, 2009

~United States Army~
Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
Re: still in pain
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 06:07:47 PM »
Keep trying the pain management center.  I am so sorry that you have so much pain.  Are you taking anything significant for the pain?  Other than ibuprofin or tylenlol etc.  If not, ask your OS or regular doc about it.  I hear you on the crutches, I hate them.  Sometimes when it's bad I'll hop around with one.  It's better than hitting the floor.  I hope you get through to the pain center, keep trying.

Ice sometimes helps me, then sometimes heat works better.  I know it's hard to live with pain, but hang in there.

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline FindnNemo91

• Forum Faithful
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 06:12:23 PM »
Thanks.
I am going to try with the pain management center. I have to hurry up with the appt., long story made short, i have insurance from my dad, he is a firefighter, they are about to fire him, so i will lose my insurance. I just need like one pain management session for them to give me some ideas and i think that i will be all set. (hopefully) i hate crutches, i feel so helpless on them, even though i have been on them plenty of times before. I would like to try out the elbow crutches, but i havent seen any places around that sell them. I can get them online, but they are pretty expensive.

thanks,
jak

~United States Army~
Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 08:25:36 PM »
I understand about the insurance.  I get worried that I'll need more time off than I can afford.  We can pay COBRA premiums on our insurance, but it's REALLY expensive.  I am pretty sure my surgery won't be that bad and I'll be back to work in a week or so.  I sometimes get those panic feelings and think it's all going to turn out terrible. 

I will be hoping you get into the pain center in time.  Best wishes.
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
8/21/08 - new OS apt

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 08:40:37 PM »
Jak  - if you are in so much pain whenweight bearing then really the only sensible thing to do would be to use the crutches - to be in such pain and not use them may cause more damage. Why don't you go to the emergency dept at your hospital - beats waiting for an appt.

Have you taken any pain meds?
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

redtoblack

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 08:57:32 PM »
I'm sorry you are in so much pain.  I'm not sure what your situation is, but if you have access to a pool, I find it very nice to get in a pool and have all the weight taken off my knee.  Sometimes just floating in the cool water will give me some much needed relief.

Jordan

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 09:41:48 PM »
hi jak - keep trying the pain management place, you poor thing i really feel for you - im having quite a bit of pain but its nothing compared to what youre going through. I really hope you get a response from the pain management place soon - anja is right - can the emergency dept at your local hospital do anything for you?
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline FindnNemo91

• Forum Faithful
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 09:45:33 PM »
thanks guys for responding.  ;)

I dont think that the ER can do anything because we dont know what my problem is. They would probably tell me to RICE and give me crutches, then send me home. i am also home alone and cant drive. the pain has lessened a bit, but it is still pretty annoying, and i have cried more than once today. most of the pain is in the back, and it causes instability, but there is also some pain above my knee. the docs worst nightmare, generalized knee pain, with no known injury!!

thanks so much,
jak ??? :-[ :'(

~United States Army~
Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic

Offline FindnNemo91

• Forum Faithful
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2007, 09:51:02 PM »
i just called and again no answer.  >:(This is ridiculous. that makes like 15 times, and every time there is no answer. i left a message and have gotten no reply.
Have you taken any pain meds?

I havent taken any, cuz nothing that i have tried works. Ive taken over the counter ones, Naprosyn/Naproxen, and Lodine, and none of them took any of the pain away. They didnt touch it. Im just taking it easy, but it is hard, cuz i want to get up and do things.

Thanks again,
jak :'(

~United States Army~
Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2007, 10:45:00 PM »
jak - try ice then hot towel, ice then hot towel - that used to give me some relief - the cold then hot, cold then hot increases the blood flow to your knee and might help with the pain.
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline FindnNemo91

• Forum Faithful
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2007, 11:28:51 PM »
since i am not getting any answers from the docs, would it hurt to get an immobilizer, suggested to me, and stay off my knee for about 2 weeks.

(just for the atrophy comments, last time i was on crutches for 5 weeks, and didnt find it to be too much trouble, a little bit, to walk again. not extremely hard.)

thanks,
jak

~United States Army~
Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic

Offline TIBBAR

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Keep em Guessing?????????????
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2007, 12:28:56 AM »
jak
 I can't help you but I will truely say a little prayer for you. I don't know your situation but God does!!!!!!  MY heart goes out to you. Do you have a family Dr. or GP who you could call for some meds just to tide you over till you get this all sorted out.  If so some pharmacys will deliver.  Can you call your dad for help if you are in that much pain? Soooo Sorry!!!!!

Offline FindnNemo91

• Forum Faithful
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2007, 01:38:45 AM »
thanks for your prayers.

I live in Oregon, and my dad lives in Virginia. I havent seen him in 2 1/2 years.
I do have a doc, but they cant prescribe meds over the phone. Its been about 9 months and there is still no answer. There were diagnosises (sp??) but they were all "wrong or disproved." My mom is supposed to be taking me out tmw, to a saturday market. we havent spent a lot of time together lately, cuz she has been very busy. I dont want to miss this, but i cant take the pain. Its like a game between me and my knee. My knee basically says that if you walk around today, you are going to be out of commission for the next 2 days. I hate the game, and there seems like no way around it. I might use crutches tmw, just so i can go, but i feel so helpless on them.

Thanks again for ur prayers,
jak

(anyone have any thoughts on the immobilizer??)

~United States Army~
Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2007, 03:13:52 AM »
It's too bad you can't get to an ER.  They may not be able to tell you exactly what's wrong, but they may be able to prescribe some stronger pain meds.  If OTCs are not helping you may need a narcotic strength pain med.  Crutches may not be a bad idea for the time being.  They will allow you to get some weight off the knee without the limp factor.  You can "walk" in a more normal stance.

An imobilizer may give you some stability, but I'm not sure how much.  If bending the knee was the major problem, then an imobilizer may help to get the inflamation under control. They are a pain to have on because you need to move the whole leg to do anything.  You could try it out and see if you get any relief.  I wore one for a while before and it is hard to get around with and can chafe and dig in places.  I don't know if it would make your problem worse or not, but if using one hurts more you can always take it off.

I would definately check with the ER or an urgent care center. At least they might be able to help you get a handle on the pain, if not necessarily the root of the problem.  Maybe you can find an other OS to have a second opinion about what may be going on.  I don't know your insurace/financial situation, but someone else needs to have a look.  You should not have to be in such pain.  It just seems irresponsible of a pain management center to take so long to get back to you.  Have you let your OS's office know that the pain center is not getting back to you?  Maybe they can contact them for you again.

If your mom is going to pick you up to do things tomorrow, ask her what she thinks.

Just wondering what has been 9 months with no answer?

Don't know if any of this will help, but will be thinking about you and praying for you.  Take it easy and rest the knee.

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
8/21/08 - new OS apt

Offline FindnNemo91

• Forum Faithful
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2007, 03:41:53 AM »
i might ask my aunt if she can take me to the ER, because the pain is getting to be too much. i will go out tmw using my crutches. The 9 months, is the time that i have had pretty severe pain, basically everyday, with no reason why. I dont know where I can get an immobilizer. If i go to the ER, how or what would i say to get one?? Would i just ask for one??? feel kinda weird asking for one, though.

thanks so much,
jak

~United States Army~
Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic