Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: arthroscopic recovery time?  (Read 1530 times)

Offline wileyriley

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
arthroscopic recovery time?
« on: June 21, 2007, 02:19:30 AM »
I'm having my left knee scoped next friday the 29th.  The surgeon is going to check my medical meniscus (not sure if it's torn, but looks questionable on mri), do a debridement and just generally check for any loose bodies.  He said recovery would be from 2 to 8 weeks.  I would like to hear some of your experiences.  I have two small children and I need to know how long I'll be out of commission.  I know no one can tell me for sure and it depends on what he does, etc.  Just wondering what to expect.  I go Mon for my pre-Op and will ask again.
Thanks in advance for any replies.

Offline L. Thomas.net

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Louann in Tennessee/USA
Re: arthroscopic recovery time?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 03:36:49 AM »
Expect it to hurt like hell the day after.  It gets good fast.  I have had 5 and they have all been..in on Friday home by 3:00 back to work on Monday.  There are a lot of factors that will affect recovery.  If all he does is scope and scrape you can pretty well expect a 48 hour turn around.  I needed PT one time before I had ACLr.  The other times I was able to dance a jig by Monday.  If you have a spinal your leg will be numb for several hours.  I watch the monitor and my OS talks about what he is doing.  One time he zoomed in and showed me the red blood cells benig made in the end of my bone.  Another time he showed me how my knee was "suppose" to work.  It looked just like the skeleton you seein  picturesf.

USE LOTS OF ICE and get up and going.  As soon as you can put weight on it.  ICE ICE ICE.

When I woke up the day after surgery with the first art/deb I thought the OS was totally insane to think that I could go back to work on Monday.  But I did.  That's how fast quickly.
Mulitple Knee surgeries/ TKA: 06  
Left Hip femoroplasty : 08   
Post Op- TKAinTN 06: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=33906.

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 02:25:36 PM »
Your doctor is right, it will take from 2 to 8 weeks. A lot depends on your own pain tolerance. I've had four scopes and was always walking within three days and feeling pretty normal within a month. It's pretty minor surgery.

Offline wileyriley

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 02:54:17 PM »
Thanks for your replies.  It makes me feel better to know that I could be up walking pretty quickly after.  I'm nervous about the whole thing.  Do either of you have any suggestions or insight as to what kind of anesthesia I should get?  He said I could do local, spinal or general.  My concern with the spinal is that when I had my epidural with my daughter's birth, it didn't really work.  I'm afraid I would end up feeling them working on my knee.  General scares me because of the risks associated with it and I always wake up puking after those.  Local just doesn't seem like it would quite cover what it needed to cover. 

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 03:52:31 PM »
I will never have another spinal. The first one I had was horrible. Locals don't work on me either. General anesthesia is very safe  nowadays and no riskier than a spinal. I've never had trouble and have been put under many times. Just tell them you get nauseous and they will inject anti-nausea drugs right into your IV. It works great.

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 07:56:33 PM »
Agree with everything else said, totally depends on what is done in there.  Just a straight look around do some tidying with nothing else, you'll definately be only out of commision for a day or two. Though it can make your knee feel funky for a little while until all the swelling goes down.  If the surgeon repairs a meniscus that's a good 6-8 weeks....if the tear is removed, just a week to ten days usually... Totally depends, that is why your os is saying 2-8 weeks.. because it is totally dependant on what they do.

Arthroscopy is a means of performing surgery rather than something specific that they do in there...

Goodluck
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline fatchopslim

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 01:31:00 AM »
Hi.  Have just had a scope(2 weeks ago). Similar spec by the sounds of it. Take it easy and be cautious.Pre op  I was told i would be up and about after 24 hrs and able to load bear the knee after a week. When the surgeon went in he found plica damage and grade 3/4 cartliage damage in the joint. Not saying you will have the same but you might not know for sure till after the scope. I am still doing 'baby' steps on the stairs and have only 70% rom. Driving ok but cant squat/kneel etc and the knee 'gives' from time to time.
Not the best medical conclusions but hope it helps. Cheers chops.

Offline costumer

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 03:02:49 AM »
And just to show you how different recovery can be, I had my R-knee scoped for torn meniscus on a Monday and was back to work (light duty) on Thursday. I had slight pain in recovery - couldn't put weight on it right away, but by that night (the scope was around 1pm) I was partial weightbearing just fine.  When I went in at 10days to get the 3 stitches out, I was just about 'normal'! at least on that leg. it was great.

My L-knee got scoped a month later on a Thursday and I was back to work the following Monday (lightish duty).  I was partially weightbearing before I even left the hospital that afternoon. Didn't use the crutches at all at home, it was easier just to put my hands to the walls/doorways.

And I had no pain at all with either procedure! ok, when the cat jumped up on my knee, I admit I sceamed. But I kept whichever leg elevated and iced pretty much the whole couple days, until I just couldn't stand it anymore and my bum was going numb from lying in bed like that.

I wouldn't say I was dancing in the aisles immediately after, but I was back to walking the grocery store and just leaning on the shopping cart.

-Judy
Dx: bi-lat subluxating patellae w/chondromalacia 4/1977
6/78 LR - LK
1/80 TTT-Hauser LK; 12/80 Proximal Realignment Mystery- RK
1/82 Maquet TTT- LK
11/06 Meniscectomy; Mild OA- RK, 12/06 Meniscectomy; Mod OA- LK
3/07 Bi-lat severe arthritis
9/18/07 bi-lat TKR

trainwreck

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2007, 05:14:50 AM »
I have had four scopes.  Each recovery was different due to different things being done.  I was only on crutches for 1 to 3 days.  The biggest issue I had was swelling.  My recovery time until I functioned quite normally was usually less than a week. 
Everyone is different and so are recovery times.  I think it depends a lot on your pain tolerance and what they do when they are in there.
Good luck
Trainwreck

Offline wileyriley

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2007, 02:32:41 PM »
It sounds like I may be up and around pretty quickly.  That's encouraging.  I also know my luck and I tend to be the one who takes longer to recover or who has some weird complication.  I am anxious to get the procedure over with so I can have some answers.  It's been almost a year since this started and as you can all relate I'm sure... I'm ready for it to be over.  I just hope they find something when they go in there, as weird as that may sound.  I don't wish for anything terrible to be wrong but I don't want the surgeon to come back and say that he couldn't find anything.  That would be very frustrating.  My MRI is not really showing anything except a signal change in my medial meniscus and my x-rays are normal so I don't know what he'll find.  Could he still find cartilage issues even though these tests are normal?
Thanks for all your well wishes. 
Chops, I hope your recovery goes well. 

Offline L. Thomas.net

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Louann in Tennessee/USA
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2007, 02:09:03 AM »
I know you won't need it but
Mulitple Knee surgeries/ TKA: 06  
Left Hip femoroplasty : 08   
Post Op- TKAinTN 06: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=33906.

Offline wileyriley

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2007, 12:54:59 PM »
Thanks!  I need all the luck I can get!   ;D

Offline luckygrandma

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2007, 11:25:03 PM »
I'm having my left knee scoped next friday the 29th.  The surgeon is going to check my medical meniscus (not sure if it's torn, but looks questionable on mri), do a debridement and just generally check for any loose bodies.  He said recovery would be from 2 to 8 weeks.  I would like to hear some of your experiences.  I have two small children and I need to know how long I'll be out of commission.  I know no one can tell me for sure and it depends on what he does, etc.  Just wondering what to expect.  I go Mon for my pre-Op and will ask again.
Thanks in advance for any replies.
A lot depends on what they do. I had one arthroscopy where they just removed a piece of cartilage from the back of my knee and I was walking on it the same day and no pain at all. I had anoother one where I tore the tendon and had swelling for 6 months and the last one where they did a debridement and repaired torn cartilage and it only got worse. I was in more pain after the surgery then I was before the surgery. Altimately it led to a TKR. If I could turn back the clock and knew about it I wouldn't have let them do a debridement. It just stirred up the arthritis and did absolutely no good. A debridement does not keep the arthritis from coming back. In just a few months I had a PKR and then a TKR and the arthris came back even more then it had before the arthroscopy, and then my knee cap needed replacing as it was so arthritic. My knee cap was not even involved before I had the arthroscopy.