Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Anyone else feel this way post OATS???  (Read 4821 times)

Offline Sharon

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
Anyone else feel this way post OATS???
« on: June 20, 2007, 08:39:17 PM »
Hi everyone,

For those of you who don't know, I'm just 2 months post op from an OATS in which I had OBI plugs placed on my patella and my trochlea.  I'm just starting to be able to walk without my crutches.  I use my donjoy playmaker brace outside the house, but at home I'm starting to walk around without any brace at all.  I always have a hard time getting my quad strength back after surgery and this time is no different so I'm still kind of unstable and have some buckling when I'm not paying close enough attention when I'm walking(why I'm still in the brace when I leave the house.) I also don't quite have the strength to keep my leg completely straight when I'm standing or walking without the brace but we're working on it. 

Anyway, this post really isn't about that. I've been having this strange feeling in my knee and was wondering if anyone else has experienced it after an OATS because I'm kind of worried. It's really hard to describe, but it's a strange feeling whenever I bend my knee after keeping it straight for even a few moments. It's almost like it's really really tight and when I bend it almost feels like something's rubbing under my kneecap.  Now I do have ROM problems to begin with and it does take me a very long time, with very much difficulty, to gain my range back. But at this point I've been able to get to 90 in PT so I just feel like it should have loosened up a bit by now.  I'm concerned that maybe it's something to do with the graft, not something to do with my ROM. The strange thing is that I feel it as soon as I begin to bend, when I'm barely at 10-15 degrees flexion. I don't know if anyone else has had this after an OATS, but if anyone has or has any ideas as to what it could be, I'd appreciate it. I just get concerned because I've learned over the past 8 and a half years of dealing with my knee problems that "what can go wrong, will go wrong," is unfortunately really typical with me. So thanks for any ideas or advice anyone has.

???
Sharon
Left knee:
LR-5/99 & 9/01
Distal realignment and LR 7/02
TTT revision 6/03
screw removal/MUA 10/03
d/x with severe patella baja
7/05 patellar tendon replacement w/piece of quad tendon
4/07 OATS

S_501

Re: Anyone else feel this way post OATS???
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 05:38:02 AM »
Sharon,
sounds like an obvious thing but I think you should let your doc know about it. I don't draw it from experience because I just had my allograft (3wks ago in patella + trochlea, me too). Could be nothing, could be bad, who knows right? I think anyhting with oats requires super-nurturing and I wouldn't be afraid to contact the doc for the littlest thing. Good luck.

Saida

Offline DJK

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 02:07:54 PM »
Sharon, I am 10months post op from my OATS(OBI to patella 20mm lesion) and I have the exact same thing...my knee is very tight and stiff, when I go to bend it from being straight I also get a "pop" like I am catching...I have other issues like my knee deciding to not work at random times...makes for a painful day...I would definetly mention ut to your OS.
L knee
scoped/debridement 10/02
Fulkerson 12/03
got unscrewed 9/04
scoped/debridement/LR 8/05
Allograft w/OBI plugs 8/10/06

Offline brattkids

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • here's to a pain free tomorrow!!! Savvy
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 09:11:49 PM »
Sharon,

I would certainly mention this to your OS. I had this feeling when my OBI plugs began to flake. They made an irregular edge to the grafts and its not like the knee was catching but if felt like something was rubbing inside and I couldnt get full ROM because the flakes and the irregular edges made a ridge of sorts and wouldnt allow me to get full ROM because it was not allowing my kneecap to have smooth movement where it should have. (I sure hope that made sense)
When the flakes were cleared out and the edges smoothed I was able to get my full ROM back.

Hope this helps a bit

Paulette  :D
4/04 microfracture
5/04 debris removal
8/04 OATS with synthetic plugs
11/04 OATS traditional autograft medial femoral chondyle
05/05 debris removal and OATS assessment
6/05 Cadaver Allograft OATS lateral femoral chondyle
9/05 OATS redone could not save allograft plug
12/2006 2007 and 2008 scop

Offline Sharon

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 09:36:26 PM »
Thanks everyone! I mentioned this to my PT today and she thinks that it could be scar tissue. With my history it very well could be scar tissue, however it also sounds very similar to what Paulette described as her plugs flaking. I might consider calling my OS's office tomorrow and seeing what his nurse suggests about seeing him earlier.  Right now my next appt is on July 17 so that's still awhile down the road. I just don't want to take any chances with this as I know it's really the last possibility that we can attempt for the time being in helping my knee get better. Anyway, thanks again for all of the advice. I really really appreciate it and I'll let you know what comes of this.

Sharon
Left knee:
LR-5/99 & 9/01
TTT revision 6/03
screw removal/MUA 10/03
4/07 OATS

Offline Yuke

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 06:03:21 AM »
Hi Sharon, I'm 7 weeks post op from OATS on my patella. Increasing my ROM (about 130) decreased the sensation and popping I was experiencing. I asked my OS (on week 5) and he said my knee was popping because my ROM wasn't far enough past 90. I don't know yet, but I assume that when I get my full ROM and the swelling in my knee goes down, that I won't have the sensation anymore.

The best exercise I found for ROM is to sit on a chair that is set high enough so your feet can't touch the ground. Using your other leg, apply your heel to the front of your leg and push gently. That towel/heel stretch hurt my knee and wasn't as effective.

Offline Sharon

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 06:20:08 AM »
Just a quick update...I told my parents about the strange feeling I've got going on in my knee and they want me to call my OS's office tomorrow.  They think he'll probably want to see me so if thats the case hopefully I'll be able to get in next week. While a part of me does think that it's scar tissue, a part of me is worried about it being something else so it really is better safe than sorry.  I just find it strange that while I've noticed this feeling for a few weeks now, it has gotten worse over the past 2 days. I'll let you know what happens.

Sharon
Left knee:
LR-5/99 & 9/01
TTT revision 6/03
screw removal/MUA 10/03
4/07 OATS

Offline brattkids

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • here's to a pain free tomorrow!!! Savvy
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 08:04:00 PM »
Sharon,

Thats great your calling the OS. You have a good attitude beter safe than sorry. Let us know how you do

Paulette
4/04 microfracture
5/04 debris removal
8/04 OATS with synthetic plugs
11/04 OATS traditional autograft medial femoral chondyle
05/05 debris removal and OATS assessment
6/05 Cadaver Allograft OATS lateral femoral chondyle
9/05 OATS redone could not save allograft plug
12/2006 2007 and 2008 scop

Offline Sharon

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2007, 09:04:51 PM »
Just an update...I called my OS's office today and as soon as I told his nurse what was going on she told me that I definitely needed to come in.  She actually tried to put me in tomorrow but he was booked solid so she put me in on Thursday.  I have to go at 12:15 for x-rays and will see the doctor at 12:45.  I'm glad that I'm going just to know what's going on with my knee but I'm also really nervous.  I'm just kind of afraid of finding out what's going on, if anything.  I'll keep you filled in on what happens.

Sharon
Left knee:
LR-5/99 & 9/01
TTT revision 6/03
screw removal/MUA 10/03
4/07 OATS

Offline Beauzer

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I want to become the person my dog thinks I am
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2007, 04:55:11 PM »
I hope everything is OK. 

If it makes you feel any better, I have that rubber band feeling from time to time too (mainly over my donor site) and my OATS was 2 years ago.  I also get stiff for no reason.  When that happens, I ride the stationary bike (no resistance) for 10 minutes or so and it goes away. 

So hopefully it's nothing bad.  Good luck at the OS Thursday.
32 - R knee gone to hell
lat. meniscus 94
ACL, chondroplasty 98
Chondroplasty 99
Screw fell out into joint, med. meniscus, microfracture 99
MCL/med. capsule recon, med. meniscus 00
Chondroplasty 04
Chrondroplasty 1/05
OATS 4/05 for OCD lesion
AVN, MFC fracture 10/05

Offline Bryonyreli14

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2016, 01:05:54 AM »
Hi
I know this is a very old post but I was just wondering if you could update on what happened with your knee? I have had oats and feeling the same way and it is worrying me. Would be great to hear what happened with you.
Thanks