Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Hi,new here,big probs,anyone help???  (Read 613 times)

Offline Jendelwin

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hi,new here,big probs,anyone help???
« on: June 19, 2007, 08:21:28 PM »
Hi everyone,I'm new here-been lurking for a few weeks,so thought I'd introduce myself and see if anyone can help?
My knee probs began 24 years ago when I fractured my patella & tibia in a minor accident (fell off my pushbike aged 8!lol).Had a succesful repair involving screws/wire and went on to lead a happy,pain free life until I hit 23.Then I really began to suffer.I eventually had my first arthroscopy 4 years ago,which involved a trim/shave/washout,and it really helped for around 6 months.However,pain returned,was sent for an MRI July 2005-returned to OS in March 06,then October 06,he didn't mention the MRI results,just sent me for physio.Anyhow,no results given to me until January this year when I yet again returned to OS,and when I complained of how much pain I had he said 'well according to your MRI results you do have a large tear in your meniscus!'.How shocked was I?
Have recently had another arthroscopy (May 11th) and have never been in so much pain as I have since (even having had 4 kids!).I can be walking fine then suddenly excrutiating pain around lower left part of kneecap,can bear no weight at all on it.This can last for between 10 minutes and a few days,then it goes as quickly as it came.
I went for my follow up today,saw an understudy of OS-he really didn't know what to make of it-mentioned tendons & OA-then just said keep your crutches near you and come back in 6 weeks to see OS!Apparantly during op they trimmed meniscus and did a washout.
I really can't go on like this-I'm only 32-I used to ride horses for a living but have recently had to quit,have just sold my last horse-it was gut wrenching. :(
Is there any light at the ened of the tunnel?
I'm so sorry for rambling on and on and on.....
Many thanks,
Jenny

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Hi,new here,big probs,anyone help???
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 08:43:42 PM »
hey there Jenny,
sorry to hear about your knee troubles.
Something you said twinged a memory with me, I had a big knee surgery at 14 years of age, it was to stabilise a recurrently dislocating patella. In the 6-8 months before the surgery I experienced exactly what you describe, everything fine then suddenly excruciating pain. Could last any short length of time, then disappeared as quick as it came.
They told me after surgery that they had had to do bone grafts as the bones were rubbing off each other and were wearing each other away. I had a lightbulb moment - 'is that what that excruciating pain was?'  - 'yes probably' was the answer. It never came back since then. It used to fell me completely - I couldnt weight bear with it and I used get nauseous from it. It usually only lasted a short while - dont ever remember it being more than minutes to an hour. And I dont remember it happening too many times either - maybe 10 times before surgery.
When it started to happen I was already scheduled for surgery so I just took it as part and parcel of things that were going to be fixed. For me it was bottom of kneecap where I felt it.
I dont know if that helps you at all - I think it is certainly something that should be investigated, sudden excruciating pain is not to be ignored.
Im sure there IS light at the end of the tunnel, youre having a hard time right now - it cant last like this forvever.
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline Annika

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 11:15:55 PM »
Thought about getting an new OS - looks to me you need a second or third opinion!

Good luck, Annika
ACL bust 3/3/07 France skiing
ACLr 17/4/07 France
UK & Sweden for May & June 07 rehabbing
Full extension at around 3 1/2 months
First heel to bum at just under 5 months

Offline bungleg

• Regular Poster
  • my tpf hardware
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 11:33:59 PM »
I agree with annika get a second oppinion,it could be anything,I have a similar problem but mine does not last as long ,mine can happen in two diferent parts of the knee,so the knee is a complicated piece of machinery so with out proper professional advice you will only be getting answers from people that have had pain but may be caused by something totaly different to your problem.get your gp to give you a referal to a good orthopedic surgeon and go from there.best of luck and hope it turns out to be something small.

rick
30/08/05 tpf, plate 8 screws and bone graft, pivot brace 5degs movment, 12weeks nwb, pt, leg stuck at 45deg
30/11/05 got leg straight phone books came in handy,rom 60degs,hydro,pt, start wb increase 10kg per week
01/03/06 full wb rom 95
may 06 rom 110
nov 06 screws + plate removed arthroscopy

Offline bungleg

• Regular Poster
  • my tpf hardware
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 11:40:51 PM »
one more thing try to make a list of when it happens what happens and how often eg,walking normally,walking quickly,turning twisting,even ground,uneven ground etc,also include any questions you want to ask that way everything is covered,and get them to tell you what is wrong dont leave onlly knowing halve the answers.
30/08/05 tpf, plate 8 screws and bone graft, pivot brace 5degs movment, 12weeks nwb, pt, leg stuck at 45deg
30/11/05 got leg straight phone books came in handy,rom 60degs,hydro,pt, start wb increase 10kg per week
01/03/06 full wb rom 95
may 06 rom 110
nov 06 screws + plate removed arthroscopy

support