Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Oblique Tear extending to the underside of the Posterior Horn of Medial Meniscus  (Read 2817 times)

Offline AShack

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hey Everyone~ New here and a head full of general questions.
Had the MRI after putting up with discomfort (not pain exactly) and 2-3 times with knee has gotten stuck for lack of a better word. Forcing it out of the stuck position caused a great deal of pain. Anyway, the MRI reflected a tear in the Meniscus, calling it an oblique tear (see above in subject) in the Posterior Horn of the Medial Meniscus.
So now waiting on insurance authorization for arthroscopy(sp). Here's where my questions come in. Does this usually take a simple trim and clean or a repair? Whats the rehad time for something like that.
I am planning a trip to Ireland in September of this year, would this knee thing affect that? Let me know if you have any great words of wisdom!

Thanks and I appreciate anything you can share with me.

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
If all they do is remove the torn pieces of meniscus then the surgery is pretty easy and it's a quick recovery. You should be walking in a few days and feeling pretty much normal within a month. If your quad muscles are strong now you won't need much in the way of rehab. I've never been sent to physical therapy after that surgery.

If they actually try to repair the tear the recovery is much, much longer. Whether or not you're a candidate for a repair is something only your surgeon can determine. A meniscus doesn't have a blood supply so they can't heal. From what I read attempts to actually repair them often fail. I believe age is a factor and you don't say how old you are.

Remember, no matter what happens your knee will never be the same. You can probably expect some kind of pain forever, either a dull ache or a rapid deterioration that will end up in a knee replacement. Some people end up getting partial or total replacement within a couple of years, and others go many years. I went 34 years from my initial tear but I was only 15 at the time. A lot depends on you. Keep your knee strong forever. Biking or swimming is the best. Whatever you do, keep the muscles around your knee strong.

Offline AShack

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Hey thank you for commenting! I am scheduled for the arthroscopy on July 25th.  He didnt say too much but I do have my pre-op on the 23rd so I hope I learn more then. My only concern is when I first went in he talked about "maybe a couple weeks off of work, then when the MRI results came in he quoted 6 to 8 weeks. Soooooooo I find that patience is not one of my charms lol Oh by the way my age is 50, but I am pretty active for an old broad! Wanna take a bet on what will be done?

support