Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: traumatic patella cartilage damage  (Read 936 times)

Offline swayball

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
traumatic patella cartilage damage
« on: June 15, 2007, 04:38:30 PM »
I am 36 yo female. As victim of a rear end collision, I ended up with meniscus tears and grade 3 cartilage damage which I think is on the medial condyle of the femur (or is the cartilage on the patella itself?). Anyway, had arthroscopic sugery in Jan to trim meniscusu tears and shave patellar cartilage. Now 5 mos later, still limping and having pain. My pt is concerned about my not straightening the knee fully and has been working on quad strengthening and manually straightening the knee. I can get it pretty straight but have trouble with it feeling stuck when it goes back into bend which I understand means it may be getting stuck in the rut of missing cartilage? What is it that is causing the difficulty with straightening to begin with? and even if I do get it to straighten on its own, will it keep getting stuck when going into the bend? I am trying one more week of PT then doc suggests cartilage injection series. And mentioned the future possibility of OATS surgery. I try of course to ask him to explain why I am having trouble, but its a quick appointment and I have other injuries also so its hard to understand what he's saying. I'm not sure PT understands why it is not straightening just says it has to or I won't be walking correctly. I also keep wondering if he had left the cartilage alone instead of shaving, would I have trouble later? It didn't bother me this much before it was fixed.

Can anyone help me understand what's going on? Thanks!!

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 206
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
Re: traumatic patella cartilage damage
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 04:42:56 PM »
Hi

You state that you had your op in January - some six months ago -  Have you been back to see your Orthopaedic Consultant?

Best wishes

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline swayball

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 04:48:37 PM »
 You mean my ortho doctor? once a month- saw him last week. He said he had hoped it would improve with pt. Do they ever do another mri to see what's going on or do they sort of know what's going on and wait to do a scope to really see?

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 04:51:51 PM »
For peace of mind, I would try and get him tuned to get an updated MRI -

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline swayball

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 04:54:07 PM »
think something else could be going on? I will ask when I see him which won't be for three weeks. Though I am supposed to call after another week of pt. Maybe my pt could recommend an mri if he thought it warranted.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 04:58:15 PM »
My own view, is to push for one - its not a guessing game is it? - It`s your knee.....

Best wishes

JohnK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline swayball

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 05:03:26 PM »
he sounds so sure that it is because of the missing cartilage. But that is what I don't fully understand - why the missing cartilage will not allow complete straightening. I will ask for an mri though. Thanks for the suggestion.

support