Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Surgery  (Read 2052 times)

Offline jbksmomma

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Surgery
« on: June 14, 2007, 08:36:42 PM »
Well I was supposed to have surgery today on a torn meniscus and a cyst, but they called me yesterday and rescheduled it for june 26 kinda made me mad now I have no more pain meds and he wont give me any so what do I do now!!??
Cyst and 2 tears in meniscus 6/07
OS has no more ideas refered to Pain management 7/07

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
Re: Surgery
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 09:29:30 PM »
Who won't give you any pain meds, your OS or your regular doctor.  Are they aware that your surgery was rescheduled?  It seems unfair to have to be in pain for a week or more.  Try asking again.  I've had my GP give me a weeks worth of meds when the PT was trying to put my hip back in alignment.  Let me know what happens.
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 11:48:21 PM »
Are you really in pain or do you just want the pain killers? I ask because a torn meniscus and cyst doesn't necessarily hurt. I walked on one for 17 years.

Offline Berta

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • Much to young to feel this dam old, Garth Brooks
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 05:54:16 AM »
Sorry to hear that you have to wait, that must be a real bummer. What meds were you on? I also have cyst and possible tear, but STILL waiting for date for MRI and to see OS.
Are there no over the counter meds that will tide you over? I can't believe that you cant get them prescribed, go scream in someones ear.
6th Dec 2007 arthoscropy, major debridement and meniscus trimmed
Jan 08 2008 Arthritis grade 2/3 told to wait until TKR needed.
August 2010 Left knee arthroscopy

Offline Brown Dog

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 06:08:06 PM »
Ok, I have to post here.  I tore my  meniscus in feb and limped around in a significant amount of pain until I could get in for surgery in may.  Most days I did Ok on 800mg of ibuprofen but here were several days that I needed something stronger.  I know some people have no pain at all, but some like me have a lot.  Call your GP, if you know hime or her well and they know whats going on they should call in a refil for you.

Offline jbksmomma

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 10:05:23 PM »
Well first I'd like to say to the person who posted the reply about if I just "wanted" the pain pills thats not the case. I have been through this going on 5 years now and the first OS didnt want to do surgery now the new one wants too. He says the cyst is very large and is about 4 inches in size, so yes it does hurt!! I just recently tore my meniscus. To eveyone else who replied thank you for your comments, he gave me tylenol 3 which helps but not alot. Also the medicine he was prescribing wa sHydrocodone 5/500mg that seemed to help alot better butwhat can I do? Only 10 more days till my surgery and I will hopefully never have this problem again!!

Offline holly101

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2007, 05:59:37 PM »
I also need to reply to this one.  Good for you if you didn't have pain, but some of us aren't as lucky as you.  Most of the people on this board are in a significant amount of pain.  Just because YOU walked for 17 years with your problem doesn't mean that everyone else should be the same and have the same tolerance.  That was one the the ugliest comments I have seen posted.

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2007, 08:37:18 PM »
hey jbksmomma,
i hope your surgery goes well, im sorry to hear youve been having a lot of pain.
Ive had a lot of pain over the years with my knee, it wears me out so much somedays that i just start getting sleepy from dealing with it!!
I dont really take anything, anti inflammatories tend to upset my stomach, so usually i just grit my teeth. I did try a natural supplement for a while - Devils Claw, you need to take it for a while before it builds up enough in your system to help pain - i think it worked a little.
Mostly I just ice my knee. I like to ice it then get into a hot bath - thats the best help - the ice relieves pain and swelling to some extent - then the bath relaxes me so im not so tense from dealing with the pain itself.
10 days will pass quickly - post and let us know how it went for you.
Ill be sending good vibes your way......
tanya
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2007, 09:38:55 PM »
I also need to reply to this one.  Good for you if you didn't have pain, but some of us aren't as lucky as you.  Most of the people on this board are in a significant amount of pain.  Just because YOU walked for 17 years with your problem doesn't mean that everyone else should be the same and have the same tolerance.  That was one the the ugliest comments I have seen posted.

Hey, I was just asking. And I didn't say I wasn't in pain. When it comes to pain and pain meds you need to be honest with yourself. If you get that defensive about it then it should be settting off a red flag.

Offline Berta

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • Much to young to feel this dam old, Garth Brooks
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2007, 11:54:29 PM »
The trouble is that pain in personal to all of us, and the way we can deal with it varies. The Doc was amazed when I didn't flinch at all when he injected my knee, but then it didn't hurt to bad at all. He also was suprised that I have so much day to day pain, but we have worked up through Brufen to Celebrex, with Statex to take care of the breakthrough pain.
I'm new to this whole bad knee thing, but I tend to presume that most people are like me, good days, bad days, and the odd bl**dy awful day.
6th Dec 2007 arthoscropy, major debridement and meniscus trimmed
Jan 08 2008 Arthritis grade 2/3 told to wait until TKR needed.
August 2010 Left knee arthroscopy

kiddthekatt

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2007, 12:42:39 AM »
You know, each and everyone of us that come to this site either has had surgery or we're headed to surgery. Just like each and every one of us has a different pain level and pain tolerance. I for one have a very low tolerance for pain and if the pain meds help me to be comfortable with less pain, then I will worry about addiction if and when that time comes.

jbksmomma -
  I hope your surgery went as expected and that your os has made sure you get the pain meds you need to be comfortable while you recover. If he/she didn't call your primary and explain to them what is going on and they will usually take care of you. One should not be expected to try and heal when suffering from pain. Good luck to you and if you just need to talk, my email address is on my page, just drop me a line.

holly101 -
   Thank you, you said it right, that was a mean and hateful thing to say. We are all different in our injured knees and pain tolerances.

Angel

Offline Graceful1

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2007, 01:49:30 AM »
At the end of the day, comments or opinions posted by a stranger in an internet forum are immaterial. Jathib's remarks are her opinion, and the forum is as open to her point of view as anyone else's. What's the purpose of wasting precious effort paying tit-for-tat?

The relevant question here is why won't the doctor give you the script? If you are truly in need, you must speak to your doctor, and soon!

Best wishes!

Offline jbksmomma

• Regular Poster
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2007, 08:04:05 PM »
Well thanks again for all the comments I did finally get some relief!! I didnt get offensive about addiction part i know what that crap does to you and I do not want to be addicted to it or anything else. It is a horrible thing to be on but when you hurt and have a low tolerance for pain its the only thing that will help with the pain.

Angela

Offline Brown Dog

• Regular Poster
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2007, 09:08:13 PM »
Good Luck with your surgery!!  Make sure you take your pain meds after too.  LOL I sure did I needed them until about 3 weeks after I am now 5 weeks PO and just using ibuprofen.  In retrospect I should have taken the pain pills for about another week it really would have helped in PT. Pain and swelling  can shut down your quad muscle , its your body defense mechanisim to ward off further injury. This held me back that first 3 weeks after surgery and its taking me a lot longer to rehab from this simple procedure because of it. I still have moments when my knee just buckles.  the problem is I usually am walking along a ok and the bam. happened at target yesterday I'm sure people were like what is she doing as Im clucthing my knee.  thank god I didn't fall LOL. 

Offline jbksmomma

• Regular Poster
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2007, 09:34:29 PM »
LOL, yea that does suck. I havent had that happen yet but when Im sitting down indian style and try to get up I have to catch myself on something and my fiance laughs at me. I just hope it doesnt take me too long to recover also Im only going to take a week off from work and hoepfully Ill be ok to go back to work, I got rid of my stick shift and bought an automatic just because of that.

support