Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Success with physical therapy???  (Read 1003 times)

Offline chrystee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Success with physical therapy???
« on: June 14, 2007, 06:26:43 PM »
Hello again! I was wondering if anyone with similiar issues as mine has had any luck with physical therapy and did not need surgery.

According to my MRI I have Grade III chondromalacia of the medial and lateral patellar facets along with a lateral patellar tilt and subluxation.

Isn't the lateral release done to correct a tilted patella??

I am just trying to get as much info as I can before I go to my first OS appointment. I know that consulting a doctor is best...just curious if anyone is in the same boat as I am. I am almost 31 and was told at only 12 that I shouldnt run or play any sports that include alot of running. I've always had problems with stairs, especially going down, squatting, but it's gotten really bad over the last few months...some days I can not even walk without limping. I am not expecting to be a super-athlete, I just would like to be able to do things with my kids without being in pain.

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Success with physical therapy???
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 03:10:19 PM »
hi,
ive had 20 years of recurrant dislocations/subluxations - they operated 18 years ago - all good for 3 or 4 years then started happening again, every time i had a bad one it was back to physio. the do not want to do a second surgery on me.
in the past 2 yrs ive had 150 dislocations/subluxations, last OS I saw (last week) said that as my VMO is invisible I need to do physio and if the VMO is made strong it should be able to hold my patella in place and I wont have the dislocations.
Saw new physio - she said immediately she didnt think the joint could be stabilised with physio but that we will try and put strength back as one way or another the surgeon will not be prepared to do anything with my leg in this weakened state anyway.

So im desperately hoping that physio will work - ive been doing phsyio for the past 2 years but the place i went to - well there wasnt much continuity - i did good there for around a year but the staff kept changing and i just think that (A) some of them werent getting up to speed with what the problem is and (B) some of them were getting frustrated cos they couldnt figure out how to help me.

so now new physio is concentrating on VMO - all exercises she gave me im familiar with except she has me doing them with my leg turned 10 degrees out to try and activate VMO. Been in a lot of pain after physio the past week.

Am not impressed that after 2 years the people i was seeing werent addressing core of the problem (i didnt know that though - everytime i mentioned VMO to them they said - more leg extensions) - but my VMO was not firing at all so no amount of leg extensions was helping.
OS got me to get an electric muscle stimulating machine to get VMO firing.

So its you and me both hoping the physio will work - let me know how you get on - i was told same as you at 12 - im 33 now.
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline chrystee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 04:20:28 PM »
I see the OS for the first time on the 20th. I am pretty sure that he will want me to start physical therapy. I am however, going to strongly request that he does a scope to get a better assessment of what my issue is. I think if he did some cleanup of the cartilage and fat pad it would eliminate some of my pain. Plus my husband is deploying again in a couple of months so if the doctor takes a look around he might be able to see if I will need a major surgery or not...who knows. I hate the idea of having major knee surgery without my hubby here- :( I have notice that my quad is rather small in the leg that is causing me problems so physical therapy would do some good I am sure but I am not confident however that it will correct everything....it would be nice though!!

I'll keep you posted....please let me know if you have any progress as well!!  :)

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 04:29:19 PM »
Sounds like you have a reasonable plan.  PT will help weak quads for sure.  Strengthing them may help the pain, but it might not.  Good luck.
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 08:31:18 PM »
Hi Chrystee,
Ill keep my fingers crossed for your OS visit.
Usually they go for surgery as a last option - so dont be surprised if his first response is physio - mine has told me even if he WAS gonna operate he'd say physio first anyway to ensure my muscles were strong. If youve noticed your quad is looking small then you probably WILL have to start off with physio :(
Wouldnt it be great if the physio worked and you didnt need surgery though!!!!
I hope you dont need a surgery while your hubby is deployed - but if you do you will get plenty of emotional support here and im sure you will get plenty of support from friends/family - the doctors would check that there was gonna be someone to help you out at home though im sure.
Im not all that confident about mty own physio either - but you know - if i can get my leg to 100% strength compared with my good leg then at least ill be prepared for whatever comes next!!
Stay in touch - Ill be waiting to hear what your OS says.
Tanya
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline chrystee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 04:17:17 PM »
Thanks for your input everyone! Tanya-I'll be sure to keep you updated. I am sure I'll have a ton of questions after my appointment. Let me know how things are going for you as well! Have a great day!  :)

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 11:28:31 AM »
hope your OS has better interpersonal skills than my OS - he's a nice guy, bags of intelligence, but he has some 'listening' issues, and he can seem very abrupt - i just keep telling myself that surgeons prefer dealing with unsconscious people :)
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Apr 2008 - next OS app