Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Knee Tendinopathy  (Read 614 times)

Offline y0rkie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee Tendinopathy
« on: June 14, 2007, 01:20:44 AM »
Hi Guys, just signed up to the forums after reading for some time, hopefully someone will be able to shed some light on this.

Over a year ago now, I started doing a core body workout program for my state soccer team. One particular exercise involved doing "the pistol" (1 legged squat - all the way down to the ground, and back up again). I noticed about a month after I started doing this exercise that I got pains at the top of both of my knees.

Ever since then, I've always had this pain, which has plagued me ever since. I initially went to a physio and was doing pilates to strengthen my hamstring muscles, and I was strapping my knee as we initally thought it was knee misalignment.

Long story short, I went and got some MRI scans done, and went to a sports physician and was diagnosed with tendinopathy. The doctor said it was a rare case as it was at the top of my knee where the quadricep muscle ends, rather than pain at the bottom of the knee which I believe is patellar tendinopathy.

I've been doing regular exercises to strengthen my glutes, quads, and calves as suggested by my sports physician. Whilst I have noticed a slight improvement in symptoms (since the problem initially came about), I am still getting significant pain whenever I squat, bend my knees, or just put pressure on them in general. As you can imagine this is hugely annoying and is holding me back from my sport.

I've recently heard about Extracorporeal Shockwave Therapy, does anyone know if this will do me any favours?

Can anyone shed any light on this? Is there anything I can/should be doing? Will this ever get back to 100% like it used to be?

Apologies for the long post  :P