Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Donna's Left TKR Post Op Diary.........  (Read 98881 times)

Offline lilrosie06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • LIVE WELL. LAUGH OFTEN. LOVE MUCH.
Re: Donna's Left TKR Post Op Diary.........
« Reply #945 on: February 23, 2008, 06:07:38 AM »
Hey Janet and Judy....thanks for replying. I am trying to remain positive. The last thing I want is to have another surgery on this knee. I just got lots of contradictions at that appt. and that is irritating. First he says the x rays show it is tracking perfectly.Then he gives me a brace and says it will help the maltracking. Also says to limit ROM some, as it is causing maltracking. Grrr......... also said that maybe the prosthesis is catching on the kneecap. So, he really isnt sure either. So I just keep working on strenght, and praying. The workmans comp thing seems to be ok. Chris, my rehab spec. told him that they wont release me till i am at maximum medical potention. OS said well thats gonna be awhile. If this would come down to surgery, he wouldnt do it for at least a year. Not knife happy, I have to say that.  ;D But ill keep hanging in there. Ive come this far, so cant give up now.

JP...I had an MUA also. It did wonders for my ROM. I was in overnight. Main thing is to keep pain under control, so he can start therapy immediately. Also, they gave me a CPM, actually right in the recovery room. This helped me alot. The best of luck to your dad....

DONNA

LEFT KNEE INJURY-1-05
SCOPE 4-05, LR 1-07, TKR 6-07, MUA 7-07, REVISION 10-07, INFECTION CLEANOUT 11-07, REVISION 4-08, EXPLANT 2-09 ANTIBIOTIC SPACER PUT IN, AND PICC LINE FOR 6 WEEKS
REPLACEMENT 5-09

BACK IN PT NOW....HIP AND FOOT PAIN, POSSIBLY SCIATIC

Offline costumer

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #946 on: February 23, 2008, 03:09:40 PM »
It does sound like he's hedging, doesn't it! but, it's possible that when seated and relaxed your knee is tracking ok. Just under pressure (weight bearing, esp hard excersizes) it maltracks. that would account for suggesting a brace because you're going to be using it. I think my knees used to maltrack slightly when seated on an exam table, but that's not how I spent my life! So they had to try a number of things to re-structure and make it work right.

Seriously, work on strengthening without the machine and see if that helps. You ARE only doing 45d on the extension machine???

-Judy
Dx: bi-lat subluxating patellae w/chondromalacia 4/1977
6/78 LR - LK
1/80 TTT-Hauser LK; 12/80 Proximal Realignment Mystery- RK
1/82 Maquet TTT- LK
11/06 Meniscectomy; Mild OA- RK, 12/06 Meniscectomy; Mod OA- LK
3/07 Bi-lat severe arthritis
9/18/07 bi-lat TKR

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #947 on: February 24, 2008, 02:50:44 PM »
Donna, you really have to let this knee heal and give PT a go. Surgeries is not the solution really for many problems and if rushing into more surgery that often makes things worse.
I have to agree with Janet in this..the appointment gave you answers and a hope to get better, even if this will take time. Keep fighting.

Nettan 8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #948 on: February 24, 2008, 03:28:34 PM »
Donna, I hope the brace helps you along .  It takes months and months to get strong again.  You had multiple trauma's to your knee and I am sure  the brace will help get you over this healing bump.

It's just this time thing that plays upon patience on how long it takes to get squared away post surgery.  I think with all the surgery your knee has been through the muscles are just taking longer to remember what they did in the past/  Think of the brace as a knee training bra of sorts :)

You will get there in your own due time.  It's just one of those situations where you have to say it is what it is and go with the flow until the flow changes again.  Try to think of this as a positive step forward.  Look at what you accomplished so far. You come a long way already and will have more advances in the news weeks and months.  It's just one of those Dang it takes more time .. moments.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 03:35:31 PM by Plumb »

Offline Garnet

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #949 on: February 24, 2008, 11:02:40 PM »
Hi Donna and everyone,

I may as well say everyone, because this is where I mainly catch up with everyone LOL.

Nettan is right, like I said keep positive and keep up heaps of physio and slowly but surely you will get there.  Thanks Nettan for popping into to say hi in my post, I hope you are keeping well. Thanks Janet and Judy for the best wishes, hope you are all keeping well.

Judy, thanks I will turn my toes out on the bike, didn't think to do that, thanks for the tip.

Donna I just hope you are get around a lot faster than me, I just cannot seem to pick up speed and bend my leg.  I even got out and tried to push the lawn mower yesterday, it was in pain and the knee gave way a couple of times, but I thought it would help get my step right.  Don't think it worked, but my whole body is in pain today.  Physio said give it go on flat surface, so I did a small area. Made me feel better in myself, depression has been really bad, because I have nothing to keep me very occupied.  I am going to search for a voluntary job I can do, one where someone will get me and I only have to help if I am having a good day.

Just keep busy with those wedding plans.  How are they coming along?

Take care and hugs,
Wyn

Lt TKR July 07
Lt thinning of patella,osteotomy, periosteal graft,
hole in patella,loss of cartilage Oct 06
Lt lateral patella release/chondroplasty Feb 06
Rt shoulder acromioplasty
Back injury,disc bulges,one degenerated
Hip bursitis
Cortisone lt knee,lt hip,rt sacrolliac joint,2 rt shoulder

Offline Garnet

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #950 on: February 24, 2008, 11:34:17 PM »
Hi Donna,

Its me again.  I was just wondering,  I own a patella j brace it is like the one I have pasted below.  I have been told to just tape, and this allows the all the quads especially the vmo to work without being supported.  That is my what my OS and physio are strict about.  Even though these braces are not suppose to cause atrophy my physio said they do prevent the full amount of benefit you get from doing your exercises.  My taping is helping.  I guess some OS and physios are all different with opinions.

Take care, Wyn

Lt TKR July 07
Lt thinning of patella,osteotomy, periosteal graft,
hole in patella,loss of cartilage Oct 06
Lt lateral patella release/chondroplasty Feb 06
Rt shoulder acromioplasty
Back injury,disc bulges,one degenerated
Hip bursitis
Cortisone lt knee,lt hip,rt sacrolliac joint,2 rt shoulder

Offline lilrosie06

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #951 on: February 27, 2008, 05:58:23 AM »
Thanks everyone. So Im using the brace. Its the same one I had before my LR.(yes, Wyn, its the patellar J brace,like yours) I had this one before my LR too, so was already familiar with it. I can feel the kneecap try and fight against it.Its weird. Doc told me to take it easy on stairs. I am  so unstable. Even with just walking, I can feel it want to slip out. Annoying, to say the least. Hopefully with strengthening, it will correct itself. I definitely do not want to have this knee opened up again...not now, not ever. So....I keep on keepin on!!

Wedding plans are coming along fine, Wyn. Have most of the main things taken care of already. We even bought our wedding bands. That was part of our valentines day...dinner out, and shopping for our rings. They are beautiful. Im excited...

Again, thanks for all the input. Ill be fine...just need to learn to apply patience at times. We all know how difficult that can get.... ::)

hugs....DONNA
LEFT KNEE INJURY-1-05
SCOPE 4-05, LR 1-07, TKR 6-07, MUA 7-07, REVISION 10-07, INFECTION CLEANOUT 11-07, REVISION 4-08, EXPLANT 2-09 ANTIBIOTIC SPACER PUT IN, AND PICC LINE FOR 6 WEEKS
REPLACEMENT 5-09

Offline Tillson

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I'm 41 - not 81!!
« Reply #952 on: March 23, 2008, 10:13:36 PM »
Hi Donna!

Long time no message.  Sorry about that.

Sounds like you're still encountering a few problems.  Keep plugging away at the physio and you'll soon be gliding down the aisle!  When's the big day?

Nelly is doing really well.  I've got a copy of her x-rays now, so I'm showing anyone who's remotely interested!  Quite sad really.

Hope to hear from you soon.  I'll check in again tomorrow.

Love Mag 'n Nel xxx

:-* :-* :-*
ACL rupture Sept '99 playing netball
ACL reconstruction Sept 2000
MONTHS of physio - grating sensation developing
Pain increasing gradually due to cartilage wear and tear
Microfracture and cartilage cultivation surgery denied due to too much wear and tear
TKR done June 2007 - HOORAY!!!

Offline lilrosie06

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #953 on: March 24, 2008, 02:00:40 AM »
MAGGIE!! :D ;D ITS SO GOOD TO 'SEE' YOU!! ;D IM SO GLAD THAT NELLY IS BEHAVING WELL FOR YOU. THATS FANTASTIC!! ;D AND I DONT BLAME YOU FOR SHOWING OFF THOSE X RAYS....

WELL, THE LATEST WITH MY KNEE IS THIS....AND I HAVENT POSTED IT HERE YET. THEY HAVE TEMPORARILY STOPPED PT TO GIVE THE KNEE A BREAK....YIKES...MEANING A REST. ::) LORD KNOWS I DONT NEED ANY BREAKS!! :o BUT YOU KNOW, I WAS HAVING THE MEDIAL PAIN WHEN ID BEND IT, SOMETIMES GETTING UP. NOW IM GETTING IT WHILE SLEEPING AT NIGHT, AND WHEN JUST SITTING OR STANDING. SO NOT SURE WHATS GOING ON. BUT PLAN IS TO REST IT FOR A BIT, AND SEE HOW IT FEELS. IF NOT BETTER THEN, CALL FOR ANOTHER APPT. (IM NOT SCHEDULED AGAIN TILL JUNE) I DONT WANT TO LIMP DOWN THE AISLE.... :-\

PRIVATE WEDDING MAY 21, IN HONOR OF RICKS LATE BROTHERS BIRTHDAY. THEN WE WILL REPEAT VOWS, ALONG WITH RECEPTION ON AUG. 21. GOT LOTS DONE, BUT STILL LOTS TO DO. AM SO EXCITED THO.... ;D

IM SO GLAD YOU MESSAGED ME. WAS THINKING ABOUT YOU. KEEP IN TOUCH. :)

HUGS....DONNA
LEFT KNEE INJURY-1-05
REPLACEMENT 5-09

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #954 on: March 25, 2008, 07:42:42 PM »
Donna:

So sorry the "rest" isn't giving you any relief. But only a month till your private wedding. I'm sure that gives you something positive to think about!  Very exciting.

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline sterns

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #955 on: March 25, 2008, 11:13:51 PM »

ELOPE !!!
{RT TKR}  Rotating Platform Knee
{LFT K}  6 arthroscopic procedures (cartilage, tendons, ligaments)
{RT K}   9 arthroscopic procedures (cartilage, tendons, ligaments)
{RT K}   3 1st was arthroscopic, 2nd was TTT, 3rd screw removal
{LFT Shldr}   4 arthroscopic procedures & 1 slice and dice job
Lots o

Offline lilrosie06

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #956 on: March 25, 2008, 11:50:34 PM »
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA[/size] :P :P ;D :D :)

AND THANKS, JANET. ALOTTTTT GOING ON WITH THIS KNEE RIGHT NOW, SO JUST KEEPING MY FINGERS CROSSED!! THANKS FOR CARING....

HUGS...DONNA
LEFT KNEE INJURY-1-05
REPLACEMENT 5-09

support