Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Donna's Left TKR Post Op Diary.........  (Read 98845 times)

Offline lilrosie06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • LIVE WELL. LAUGH OFTEN. LOVE MUCH.
Donna's Left TKR Post Op Diary.........
« on: June 13, 2007, 06:21:22 PM »
OK, so why not start this today? I am now 9 days PRE Op and have a case of the jitters, like you wouldnt believe. :o I had my pre op appt. with the physicians asstant today. I do have MRSA, so am now on antibiotics, nasally. She said "don't feel like a leper, but you will probably be put in a private room". Lol. I was like, thats ok, I like privacy.  :P But I dont like this whole idea of testing positive for MRSA. Although, she said they will have me on antibiotics pre and post op, and will watch carefully. :-\ But thats the scoop. Everything else seems to be fine, and I am all set to go. After they took my blood today, they put a bracelet on me, which I have to wear until surgery.I asked lots of questions. They gave me the little hand book, and thats about it....the countdown is on.....

Bear with me....Im sure Ill be annoying for awhile. Lol. You guys can just "smack me". Im sure I wont feel a thing.... :P ;D

Till later....

Donna
LEFT KNEE INJURY-1-05
SCOPE 4-05, LR 1-07, TKR 6-07, MUA 7-07, REVISION 10-07, INFECTION CLEANOUT 11-07, REVISION 4-08, EXPLANT 2-09 ANTIBIOTIC SPACER PUT IN, AND PICC LINE FOR 6 WEEKS
REPLACEMENT 5-09

BACK IN PT NOW....HIP AND FOOT PAIN, POSSIBLY SCIATIC

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Donna's Left TKR Post Op Diary.........
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 07:38:19 PM »
Hi Donna

When I went for my pre op they said that anyone that tested positive for mrsa would not get surgery until the tests came back clear - I would not go ahead with it until I was clear - what if you get it in your knee???
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline giege

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 08:21:24 PM »
Okay, I don't know what mrsa is????  Is this something that will clear up with the meds and then you will have the surgery or are they going ahead with the surgery?  And do you feel okay with this?  I guess since I am not sure what this is I cannot say what I would do but it sounds like it is an infections, right?  If that is the case I am surprised they are going ahead with the surgery.  Please be careful Donna - I would hate for you to have complications due to this.  I'm just worried about  you.  I am sure it has all been explained to you and because I have no idea what mrsa is I am worrying for no reason. 

Nine days will be here before you know it -  :o - I know that is probably sending you into an extreme roller coaster of emotions but if you choose to see it as the beginning of your new knee life hopefully you will be able to go into it as a wonderful new beginning.  Yes there will be a recovery/rehab period but you are a strong person with an awesome attitude and great support system that will get you through this - YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!  Yes there will be pain involved but you will have pain meds available as needed and you will have ice, compression, etc for pain management.  Yes this will be frustrating but you will have Rick to help with your struggles and you have all of us here to share all of your triumphs and trials with.  Keep in mind that the road to recovery is not going to be easy but along the way you will have small victories that will keep you going - it is in those small victories that you will see a small shimmer of what the final destination is going to be like - that is what will keep you reaching for the stars.  Because if anyone deserves this, Donna, it is you. 

You are in my prayers always.
Take Care.
Glinda

Offline lilrosie06

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 05:13:32 AM »
Anja....They started me on antibiotics already. They said that I probably will always be a carrier. Where I picked it up, I dont know. Hospitals, prisons, etc. all are "famous" for it. Rick works in a prison, and may get tested too. They told me that yes, it is something we have to take seriously, but that we caught it now, and know how to treat it.Thanks so much for being concerned. Trust me, I was freaking out.

Glinda...yep, MRSA is a type of infection. Usually picked up in hospitals. Hard to treat. Mine was found in doing a nose swab. Talked to physicians asst. alot about it today, as well as my doctor yesterday. Both assured me that everything will be ok. Am I nervous about it? You betcha. I mean, who wouldnt be. I am nervous about the whole thing, so this has added to it. :-\ Cant believe it is only 8 days away. WOW.Thank you so much for all your support. I do appreciate it so much. :D

How are YOU? Feeling ok? Im so sorry I havent been on much. And the chat room doesnt like me, so havent been able to join you guys there. Still hoping to get a laptop before my surgery so I can talk to everyone.

Going to bed soon here. Thanks again to both of you for being so caring...

Hugs...DONNA ;)

LEFT KNEE INJURY-1-05
SCOPE 4-05, LR 1-07, TKR 6-07, MUA 7-07, REVISION 10-07, INFECTION CLEANOUT 11-07, REVISION 4-08, EXPLANT 2-09 ANTIBIOTIC SPACER PUT IN, AND PICC LINE FOR 6 WEEKS
REPLACEMENT 5-09

Offline maile433

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • My goal is to be the person my dog thinks I am.
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 06:09:07 AM »
Hey Donna,

Glad I found this...I haven't been looking around at other new posts but I happened to come across this thread.  Don't worry, I would have found it eventually!   ;)

I'm counting down the days with you, next Friday will be here before you know it.  I'm nervous about the MRSA, as I'm sure you are, but I'm sure the docs know what they're doing.  Plus you caught it early enough so that a round of antibiotics will have had time to take effect.  I'll keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't cause further complications!  Nice that you can at least have your own room!

Don't worry about bugging us with many, many posts...that's what we're here for!  I think I'd be the same way before something so big.  We're all rooting for you!!!!!

Sarah
7/03 RK medial meniscus repair & partial lateral meniscectomy
2/04 RK partial medial meniscectomy & microfracture
1/05 RK medial & lateral partial meniscectomy & microfracture
8/06 RK OATS autograft LFC + LR

Offline maile433

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • My goal is to be the person my dog thinks I am.
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 06:31:46 AM »
Thought you guys would get a kick out of this...was just reading about MRSA on Wikipedia (I know, I know, not the best source of info, but interesting sometimes), and they said that some studies have shown that "use of maggots to treat a MRSA infection has been successful."  Uh.....MAGGOTS?????  I don't even want to know how they use maggots.....

See Donna, it could be worse...

;D ;D ;D ;D
7/03 RK medial meniscus repair & partial lateral meniscectomy
2/04 RK partial medial meniscectomy & microfracture
1/05 RK medial & lateral partial meniscectomy & microfracture
8/06 RK OATS autograft LFC + LR

Offline krissie

• Forum Faithful
  • Hockey is life
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007, 06:15:27 PM »
Hi Donna - just wanted to pop in and say hello!  'Tis been a crazy, crazy, crazy week - last one of the school year and my big guy is heading out of elementary into the uncharted waters of Middle School so there's lots of farewells, receptions, assemblies, etc.  Since we've only been here 18 mos, I'm really proud of him for finding a spot for himself amongst a very, very tight knit and small community - I'm not sure I would have done as well as he has!  Anyway, I've not been online much at all or when I am I have to do something related to our upcoming renovation and then I'm off on another tangient!  By the way, I'm off crutches completely so that's been a little weird!  Can't say I'm a fast mover but I'm moving nonetheless!

I'm glad you started a journal - I know the next few days are going to be scary and feel in part like they're moving so slow and at times feel like it's moving too fast.  Just know that you wouldn't be in this situation if it were not the right thing for you right now - plus, you've got an amazing hubby and loads of knee-friends who will carry you in the days/weeks ahead!

Think of some special things you will miss when you're laid up and do those now, enjoying every second you can!  Wishing you well - K

Offline sterns

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2007, 08:36:39 PM »
8 Days and counting ...........               8 Days and counting ...........             8 Days and counting ...........

Catch you later !!!

Saul
{RT TKR}  Rotating Platform Knee
{LFT K}  6 arthroscopic procedures (cartilage, tendons, ligaments)
{RT K}   9 arthroscopic procedures (cartilage, tendons, ligaments)
{RT K}   3 1st was arthroscopic, 2nd was TTT, 3rd screw removal
{LFT Shldr}   4 arthroscopic procedures & 1 slice and dice job
Lots o

kc1124

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2007, 02:35:58 AM »
Hi Donna,

Just found your diary.  I have been thinking about you (and ways that I can get that knee  ;D)

You know I am pulling for you!  Sorry I haven't been on the boards much lately myself.  But, I will be sure to stay in touch as the big day approaches. 

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Kat

P.S. - How is Rick holding up?

Offline giege

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2007, 04:30:07 AM »
Hey Donna -

It sounds like your OS and the PA have this all taken care of for you.  I am sure that you will also be given antibiotics via the IV for the surgery and then have oral antibiotics afterwards - I think that is pretty standard for tkr surgery - at least that is what my friend had for her surgery.  You will be fine - they will watch you very closely.  You will be squeeky clean by the time you get home. 

I am doing fine Donna, thanks for asking.  I have good days and bad days.  The bad days seem to be right around my PT days - hmmmmmm go figure.  But I am progressing very well - I feel my leg strength increasing and my ROM is 128 degrees the last time it was measured.  So it's all good.

I have noticed that everyone has slowed down quite a bit on their online time lately.  It's the nice weather.

Take Care.
Glinda

Offline sterns

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2007, 04:35:54 AM »
Thought I would get a jump on things (Haha) Jumping, now there is something NOT to do. Anyway ..........

7 Days and Counting ...........               7 Days and Counting ...........                7 Days and Counting ...........

Guess who ?
{RT TKR}  Rotating Platform Knee
{LFT K}  6 arthroscopic procedures (cartilage, tendons, ligaments)
{RT K}   9 arthroscopic procedures (cartilage, tendons, ligaments)
{RT K}   3 1st was arthroscopic, 2nd was TTT, 3rd screw removal
{LFT Shldr}   4 arthroscopic procedures & 1 slice and dice job
Lots o

Offline lilrosie06

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2007, 04:54:30 AM »
BRAT!!
LEFT KNEE INJURY-1-05
REPLACEMENT 5-09

trainwreck

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2007, 05:08:52 AM »
Donna and Saul you two fight nice!!!!  I am glad you started this donna.  It helps us feel connected to you.  It won't' be long until you are thru the worst of this.  I would be playing hard until the surgery.  Am thinking about you and wishing you some peaceful days.
Allison

Offline lilrosie06

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2007, 05:57:43 AM »
HA, HA Allison, now what fun would fighting NICE be?? :P ;D 8) Nah, the dude is just keeping me pumped up about this whole surgery/MRSA thing, and making sure I am minding my P's and Q's. So, wait till he reads that you told me to live it up!! :-X ;D  Oh trust me, I am, I am.....lol. Have to stay busy or will go bonkers....

Ive missed ya....

Donna ;D
LEFT KNEE INJURY-1-05
REPLACEMENT 5-09

Offline giege

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2007, 06:03:25 AM »
I got a good laugh at the BRAT comment - Saul, she knows you so well.  he he

Glinda

support