Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Post-Op DIARY of ACL Allograft #3 - June 14th-2007  (Read 44981 times)

Offline Nola

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: DIARY of ACL Allograft #3 - Surgery is June 14th
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2007, 02:43:25 AM »
OTC's you have to respect them first.  Advill is 200mg of ibuprofen.  Rx strength ibuprofen is 600 to 800mg three times a day.  I probably would go for 800mg of ibuprofen 3 times a day but would make sure I was also taking something like Pepsid (omeprisol) to guard my stomach while taking it.  You would get the advantage of the anti-inflammatory along with the analgisic effects of the ibuprofen.  I suggest you run that by your OS.   I don't want anyone here to think I am prescribing.

Apart from medication pain relievers, what about a TEN's unit, relaxation exercises (I know, more exercises??).  You are already using the cold packs so that should help too
Nola

9/24/06 Fall while horseback riding. Ruptured 100% ACL, torn meniscus, MCL (grade I)
2/14/07 ACLr B-PT-B autograft Murcia, Spain
5/25/07 US Arthroscopic LOA, meniscectomy, chondroplasty
www.dominiobuenavista.com My winery!
www.frappr.com/kneegeeks  place where you can map where you live.

Offline Mirek

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2007, 03:52:12 AM »
k-w-b-g, Well done on the rapid progress!!  I got similar advice and was up on crutches from day 2 and abandoned them on day 3, preferring to hobble about carefully and re-build muscle strength and balance.  Also, although I do not think I am allergic to opiods, I was not happy with the oxycodone I was on and gave it all up on day 5 post op.  I had had no pain in my knee and just wanted to flush all that rubbish out of my body.  Had I been in substantial pain I would of course stayed with it, there is a time and a place, but I would suffer a little pain in order to gain mental acuity any day.

cheers,  Mirek
injury (soccer) 8 Sept/06
arthroscopy 26 Nov/06 confirmed completely torn ACL/parrot beak tear to meniscus and other tears - meniscus tear removed and debridement of chondrial tissue
ACLR (hamstring) Feb 08/07

ALL FOR ONE - GO TORONTO FC!

Offline knee-will-be-great

• Forum Faithful
  • Open-wedge HTO & ACL allograft done (YES!)
    • ACL Allograft #3 Post-Surgery Rehab/Wellness Diary
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2007, 03:02:43 PM »
ACL DONE June 14, 2007

DAY 4 - POST-SURGERY

Summation of Day's Events
Most of the day was spent on the couch with my laptop computer - either posting to the Kneegeeks Board - or doing other stuff - responding to emails, researching knees/cartilage resurfacing, etc., taking phone calls et al.†

Pain Mediciation - None
No pain meds taken today at all!† The knee was painful after I did my first set of exercises - while in bed (at approximately 10 pm).† Could not sleep after that.† So watched/listened to the television until at least 4 am.† Luckily, I did get an endorphin/?serotonin? rush (at least one half hour of pure laughing) and therefore an extended "feel good" moment in that I watched Jay Leno.† His Monday Headliners last night were precious (laughed until I had tears in my eyes).† Then, I had the good fortune to watch Robin Williams (Leno's first guest); again another laugh fest I enjoyed with tears rolling down my eyes.† I know that it did the body good.†

Prescribed Knee Exercises
Did one series of ACLr protocol exercises at 10 pm to 11 pm while watching "The English Nanny to the Rescue of People with Really Poor Parenting Skills".† I was fascinated by watching the people (watching was painful <I felt for the mother> with the crappy parenting skills be guided into learning how to deal with their three children.† Probably helped psychologically motivate me to get over my knee pain (at least) for an hour or so while I did the exercises.

Sleep Pattern
Slept on and off again - then awoke at 6 am - but elected to stay in bed until 8:35 am.† All in all not a great day, but I certainly do know that I am making progress.† One set of ACLr exercises started - another "N to the nth power" (or) N! (N Factorial) number of ACLr exercises to go - with N and n being unknowns at this point in time.

Range of Motion
Flexion - 110 degrees
Extension - 15 degrees (maybe 10 - but I just can't adequately assess this measurement at this point in time - as I am currently only eyeballing - and I do not have my compass or protractor handy which which to make a better, more accurate measurement.† :P

Thanks Nola for the pain med info; I do recognize that we try to help one another ... again thank you so much!† I scrolled back on your postings and saw your knee surgery - puts eveything into perspective.† I pray that you do well and continue to improve.†

Thanks Mirek for the input on your ACLr surgery.† Glad to know that we over-40s are being taken seriously - at least by some OS's.

MiltonC - chin up ... keep on going - okay?

As the great Canadian actor Steve Smith said - (immortalized through his portrayal of eccentric Canadian husband "Red Green") ... "Remember; we are all in this together!"† ... and "Keep your stick on the ice."† (a hockey metaphor <of course> relating to making sure you keep calm/focused/centred even when not-so-nice things (knee injury/surgery and sequela) are happening in your life.† The Red Green character was predominantly talking to the men out there - but I think that his two sayings could apply to all Kneegeeks of either gender.

Cheers to all you great Kneegeeks out there ........... KWBG

« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 09:37:16 PM by knee-will-be-great »
Medial Menisectomy, 1 ACL Autograft, 3 ACL Allografts, HTO, numerous debridements, good now :)
ACL Allograft #3 Post-Surgery Rehab/Wellness Diary http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=37218.0;all
ACL Reconstruction VIDEOS http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=37773.0

Offline Annika

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2007, 06:25:53 PM »
KWBG

Sounds like you are doing great and it sounds like you are high enough without painkillers!. Just a bit of comment. When your knee is fully extended ie straight you are at 0 degrees, starting to bend it you increase, right angle is abvously 90 degrees, 120 is normal for discharge, 135 is what a lot of people have max but it will be higher if you can 'heel to bum' it and so on. Hyper extending is when your knee has gone past straight. So if you are hyper extendning like me you would be -2 for example (I have very straight legs)  and if you are hyper extending like Nola you will get further like -10 or (sorry Nola can't quite remember what your numbers where but I know you hyper extend a fair bit more then me). Remember extension is the most important thing to start with.

Annika, -2 to approx 6 inches of my bum  ;)
ACL bust 3/3/07 France skiing
ACLr 17/4/07 France
UK & Sweden for May & June 07 rehabbing
Full extension at around 3 1/2 months
First heel to bum at just under 5 months

Offline miltonc

• Regular Poster
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2007, 08:41:16 PM »
I ditched my crutches after I saw your post.  I am now climbing stairs and even going down stairs.  Funny, how I was so clingy to my crutches and all of a sudden mentally I was strong to get rid of it.  I am even thinking of going to the gym !
3/4/07 - Soccer injury
5/30/07 - ACLr

Post op diary: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=36990.0

Offline Mirek

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2007, 04:20:09 AM »
KWBG - ...but remember that Red Green would have fixed his knee with duct tape (gaffer tape for all you Brits).

Mirek
injury (soccer) 8 Sept/06
arthroscopy 26 Nov/06 confirmed completely torn ACL/parrot beak tear to meniscus and other tears - meniscus tear removed and debridement of chondrial tissue
ACLR (hamstring) Feb 08/07

ALL FOR ONE - GO TORONTO FC!

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2007, 10:22:23 AM »
Hi Everyone,

Hey Mirek, ha, ha re: using duct (gaffer) tape for a knee surgery self-repair.† Cute.† ;)

Red Green and another use for Duct Tape!

First Mirek, in answer to your commentary about Red Green using duct tape to do a self-repair on his knee, well, I have duct tape - and I am using the stuff to tape off the top and bottom open ends of the garbage bag enveloping my ACL allografted knee - to ensure a nice, sealed water-free environment for my still-healing ACLr surgical sites - when I take a shower.

Canadian Cultural Icon Explanatory

Just as an aside for all of you Geeks out there wondering who the heck the eccentric (but famous) and beloved Canadian television husband "Red Green" is, well, here is a link to his web site.  You can even purchase CDs of his shows.  Actually a great gift women can give to their hubbies/boyfriends et al.

http://www.redgreen.com/

Good, great morning to all Kneegeeks around the world!

KWBG
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 10:24:56 AM by knee-will-be-great »
Medial Menisectomy, 1 ACL Autograft, 3 ACL Allografts, HTO, numerous debridements, good now :)
ACL Allograft #3 Post-Surgery Rehab/Wellness Diary http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=37218.0;all
ACL Reconstruction VIDEOS http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=37773.0

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2007, 11:15:36 AM »
ACL DONE June 14, 2007

DAY 5 - POST-SURGERY

Summary of day's events
Exercises, posting on Kneegeeks bulletin board, eating, drinking decaf tea and soy milk, receiving visitors, reading ALIVE, Canada's natural health and wellness magazine, visualising knee/walking rehabilitation and successful activity/regaining muscles post-recovery, calling my OS' office to thank him/his staff and to give them my "all's well" report, reading up on knee/cartilage resurfacing et al for arthritic knees (for future knee surgery adventures).† Friend who is a nurse came over and we chatted about our knees.† Actually this can be a fun and bonding experience with buddies.

Pain level
Low, except when trying to straighten the knee - then a catch and some sharp pains, but I am taking the advice in my Physiotherapists'/OSs' ACLr protocol and putting the heel onto a towel (nothing under the knee) and then letting the knee drop from a more bent position to a more (relatively) straightened position.† Uncomfortable, somewhat painful but oh well, just part of the process.† To prevent from gritting my teeth/clenching my jaw while doing rehab exercises, am putting in night time "mouth guard".†

Pain Management
Took two Advil during the day - that is it!† Fabulous!† Things still are tender, but I would rather have a clear head and not be woozy/dizzy/nauseous.

Icing
Wrapping all four frozen gel-packs around my knee; two in front and two in back using the stuff provided to me post-operatively.

Walking
One crutch - and a bit of a hobbling "three step" (three steps is all I feel comfortable taking) without crutches - don't want to take any chance hurting the precious ACL allograft - so I don't push it past three small steps.† Walking on both legs feels great!† Crutch always on side of "good knee".

Range of Motion
Extension - 10 degrees (almost straight - but not quite there!)
Flexion - 100 degrees (need more quadriceps and hamstring development to, (I would imagine) flex moreso - also need the swelling at the back of my knee to subside in order to achieve this end.† But this will happen.

Conclusion
Interesting how I went to bed at 11 pm last night - and woke up at 4 am this morning, walking (with great ease) down the stairs - and felt so, so, so much stronger!† Must be the high protein breakfast (ribs/chicken breasts) I am eating - in concert with the fruit/dark leafy green veggies and soymilk.)† And the body's natural healing process.† Plus great surgery, good people around me - and all my fellow Kneegeeks.

*Thanks Nola for the info on pain meds ... a good perspective to have.

*Thanks Annika for giving me the "heads up" re: the proper way of reporting on Range of Motion.† I enjoyed reading your diary and got some valuable perspective from it.† Also, I changed my DAY 4 ROM measurements accordingly.

Cheers to all from Knee-will-be-great!!!!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 02:10:09 PM by knee-will-be-great »

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2007, 01:59:29 PM »
ACL DONE June 14, 2007

DAY 6 - POST-SURGERY

Summary of day's events
Exercises, posting on Kneegeeks bulletin board, eating, drinking decaf tea and soy milk, talking to friends/family, visualising knee/walking rehabilitation and successful activity/regaining muscles post-recovery, reading up on IRREDUCIBLE ANTERIOR TIBIAL SUBLUXATION† - also known as PERMANENT ANTERIOR TIBIAL SUBLUXATION. NOTE: This is where the bottom bone in you leg (the tibia) moves forward relative to the top bone in your leg (the femur), because there is not "rope"/"cord" (i.e., no ACL) to keep the tibial where it should be - realtive to your "good"/"better"/"unoperated" knee/leg.† This is why having an ACL is oh so, so, so, so very important.†

Pain level
Low, except when trying to straighten the knee to full extension - and when trying to bend the knee past 110 degrees.† The catching feeling in the joint hurts when exercising - but this too shall pass or dissipate as time progresses.† Using my night time dental "mouth guard" is a good idea when exercising.

Pain Management
Took three Advil during the day - that is it!† A bit dizzy after the third!† Only the back of the leg is tender; the joint itself is fine, save for the catching that I am experiencing when trying to either fully straighten or fully bend.

Icing
Wrapping all four frozen gel-packs around my knee for two hours; the gel packs lose heat quickly.† Did not wrap my knee up last night when I went to bed; fell asleep like a log - and woke up at 4:30 again but stayed in bed until 6:30 am.† Tomrrow I will just go downstairs and start moving at 4:30 am.

Walking
One crutch - and a bit of a hobbling slowly gait if I take a few steps without the crutch.† The leg feels weak, but the joint does not hurt when I am on both legs, walking/crutching.† The issue is joint pain/grinding/perception of an endpoint that I just cannot get past (at this time) - when I try to extend/flex.

Range of Motion
Flexion - 100 degrees
ROM = 90 degrees - give or take a few degrees.

Conclusion
Went to bed at 11 pm last night - and woke up at 4:30 am this morning; down the stairs for brekkie at 6:30 am.† Tomorrow I will be up and at it for 4:30 am instead of lollydoddling in bed.

Information on IRREDUCIBLE ANTERIOR TIBIAL SUBLUXATION† - also known as PERMANENT ANTERIOR TIBIAL SUBLUXATION ... here are the links and titles of the scientific abstracts and the titles of the abstracts.† Geeks, if you are not aware of the meaning of the words, Google the word and then type definition after the word as follows:
subluxation, definition† †........ Arm yoursleves with solid knowledge and evidence dear Geeks; it is very valuable for you to know this stuf so that you can make informed choices about your treatment regimes.

NOTE: Geeks, note that I have tested each link by copying the links into my browser - and all the links do work. 

http://www.acsm-msse.org/pt/re/msse/fulltext.00005768-200205001-00748.htm;jsessionid=G52YX8gSfdGZnnDH34HgG2TxpT0bYYv2q3J1yLSWv71D5k2ZybVC!1240718814!-949856144!8091!-1

Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise:Volume 34(5) Supplement 1May 2002p S134
PERMANENT TIBIAL SUBLUXATION IN ANTERIOR CRUCIATE LIGAMENT (ACL)INJURED KNEES
[D18E FREE COMMUNICATION/SLIDE SPORTS INJURY AND CARE]

http://www.esrnexus.com/displayArticle.aspx?codedArticleID=451177

Knee stability following anterior cruciate ligament rupture and surgery. The contribution of irreducible tibial subluxation

http://www.ejbjs.org/cgi/content/abstract/86/5/983  

The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery (American) 86:983-987 (2004)
© 2004 The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, Inc.
Knee Stability Following Anterior Cruciate Ligament Rupture and Surgery
The Contribution of Irreducible Tibial Subluxation

http://ajsm.highwire.org/cgi/content/abstract/33/10/1579

Clinical Sports Medicine Update
Treatment of Anterior Cruciate Ligament Injuries, Part I

http://ajs.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/29/3/280

Fixed Tibial Subluxation after Successful Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction

http://www.level1diet.com/research/id/906056

Anterior tibial subluxation in anterior cruciate ligament-deficient knees: quantification using magnetic resonance imaging.

http://www.level1diet.com/research/id/383067

Deformity in flexion of proximal tibia secondary to bifocal fracture and anterior instability of knee (deformity in flexion of tibia and ACL reconstruction).

NOTE:   Geeks, I have cut and pasted this last article's introduction.  You will note the physician / surgeon's de facto scientific opinion regarding the necessity of having an ACL - and what happens to your knee when you do not have an ACL - meniscal damage, chrondral surface damage et al.  All other scholarly references are in the body of the article.

http://www.opnews.com/articles/oct.dec01/articles.php 

Femoral Fixation Of A Hamstring ACL Reconstruction Using Absorbable Cross Pins (RIGIDfixTM)

Authors: C.S. Fang MRCS, G.L. Eastwood MRCS and P. Hirst FRCS. The University Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Manchester Royal Infirmary, Manchester, UK

Introduction

The anterior cruciate ligament is the most commonly injured knee ligament. Injury to the ACL accounts for 48% of all ligament injuries around the knee15. In the United States, it is estimated that 500,000 knees suffer ACL injury each year. This accounts for substantial morbidity within a usually young and active population.

Loss of the ACL has a detrimental impact on the function of the knee. The ligament functions as a major stabiliser of the knee. In this capacity, the ACL resists excessive anterior tibial displacement. Other structures (the menisci, collateral ligaments and joint capsule) do assist in this role, but the ACL provides the majority of the constraint4.

The ACL also provides restraint against excessive tibial rotation and varus or valgus angulation.

The loss of normal knee kinematics that accompanies rupture of the ACL may result in meniscal tears, as they are no longer protected from otherwise trivial trauma5.

Over a longer time period, the ACL deficient knee is prone to succumb to premature osteoarthritis.

Historically, it is thought that ligaments were first recognised as stabilisers of joints by Galen in the 1600ís. The first written description of ACL rupture appeared in the 1850ís. Surgery for ACL rupture developed over the course of the 20th century. The first ACL repairs were reported in 1901 and 1903.

It is now known that repair of the ACL yields poor results as the ligament has poor healing properties, in contrast to the MCL16. Surgeons have therefore moved away from repair, favouring reconstruction. The first ACL reconstruction was reported in 1917 and used a strip of fascia lata directed through a tunnel in the tibia and femur. In a series of 39 cases, Campbell reported the use of a fascial construct derived from the medial capsule, patella and quadriceps tendon. The patellar tendon has remained a popular graft choice amongst orthopaedic surgeons since Jones first described its use in 1963. Various refinements of the technique emerged in subsequent years. The major areas of improvement are in accurate femoral and tibial placement of the grafts, methods of graft fixation, the introduction of arthroscopic techniques to assist the procedure and postoperative rehabilitation.

Successful reconstruction is dependent on many factors. Let us now examine the biomechanics of the intact ACL and compare it with the two most common substitutes: the middle one-third patellar tendon graft and the semitendinosus/gracilis tendon graft.

(End of Introduction)

Cheers to all from Knee-will-be-great!!!!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 02:37:51 PM by knee-will-be-great »

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2007, 03:02:21 PM »
Here is another recent scholarly article about why we need our ACLs

This information was sourced from Poster 17 - which was the printed summary of a scholarly article outlining the results of a study conducted on ACL-deficient patients.

One of the authors is a Dr. Richard Steadman of Vail, Colorado - he of the world-renowned Steadman-Hawkins Clinic.

Poster 17 was the abstract (summary) presented at a 2004 orthopaedic surgeon's Annual Meeting.†

The actual document you will see when you hit the link is 59 pages long.† NOTE: Read the OBJECTIVE, METHODS, RESULTS and CONCLUSIONS of Poster 17.† It will tell you what you will need to know.

Poster 17

The Presence of Severe Chrondral Damage in Patients with ACL Deficiency

https://www.sportsmed.org/secure/reveal/admin/uploads/events/POSTER%20Abstracts.pdf

« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 03:08:50 PM by knee-will-be-great »

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2007, 12:52:48 PM »
ACL DONE June 14, 2007

DAY 7 - POST-SURGERY

Summary of day's events
A slow day, uneventful day.

Pain level
Still low, except when trying to straighten the knee to full extension - and when trying to bend the knee past 110 degrees.†

Pain Management
Took three Advil during the day - that is it!† Need pain killers to bend the knee - but this too shall pass.

Icing
Wrapping all four frozen gel-packs around my knee for two hours; the gel packs lose heat quickly.† Did not wrap my knee up last night when I went to bed; fell asleep like a log - and woke up at 7:30 am.† Tsk; yesterday I did say that I would start moving at 4:30 am. I didn't.† In fact after my exercises, I decided to sleep on the couch.

Walking
One crutch - and a bit of a hobbling slowly gait if I take a few steps without the crutch.† Called OS and PT's office; PT said to walk with two crutches for a while and to not overstress my knee.† The issue is joint pain/grinding/perception of an endpoint that I just cannot get past (at this time) - when I try to extend/flex.

Range of Motion
Flexion - 100 degrees

Weight/Fitness Level
Feel like a blob.† Gained 15 pounds from Nov. 2006 to May 2007.† Long, lean runner's muscle has transformed into fat padded, undefined muscles and a meaty body.† Summer clothes either tight or cannot put on at all.† Can we say "sausage casings"? <yes we can>).  This too shall pass; but I am already realising that I will be working out at the gym/home with a re-fitness goal clearly in my mind's eye - after I am on two feet and the initial post-surgery healing is done.† No doubt I will be doing a goodly amount of biking - and of hamstring development, stomach crunches, etc.† Looking forward to having my body back.† Last surgery (HTO) I lost weight; not this time.† But proper eating (protein, greens, fruits, low glycemic level carbohydrates) is definitely required - as well as rest.† It's just part of the process (my mantra); and it's not like I am alone - lots of other ACLr rehabbing Geeks out there.

Conclusion
Went to sleep at 11:15 pm last night - and woke up at 7:30 am: brekkie at 7:45 am.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 02:40:26 PM by knee-will-be-great »

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2007, 01:28:21 PM »
Here's a good explanation of ACL injury.  One page of interesting reading.

*There are MRI and X-Ray photos here.

*There is a brief discussion as to why ACLRs sometime fail (3 reasons), and an explanation why additional surgery after undergoing an ACL tear and repair is often needed.

http://uwmsk.org/residentprojects/aclreconstruction.html

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2007, 02:43:39 PM »
ACL DONE June 14, 2007

DAY 8 - POST-SURGERY

Summary of day's events
Another slow day, uneventful day.

Pain level
Still low, except when (still) trying to straighten the knee to full extension - and when trying to bend the knee past 110 degrees. 

Pain Management
2 Advil during the day and 2 Tramcet.  I was dizzy/flying/room spinning until 9 pm.  But then I could bend the knee without much trouble in this state.

Icing
Wrapping all four frozen gel-packs around my knee for two hours; the gel packs lose heat quickly. 

Walking
One crutch - and a bit of a hobbling slowly gait if I take a few steps without the crutch.  Called OS and PT's office; PT said to walk with two crutches for a while and to not overstress my knee.  The issue is joint pain/grinding/perception of an endpoint that I just cannot get past (at this time) - when I try to extend/flex.

Range of Motion
Flexion - 100 degrees
Knee is just too painful to extend fully, but it is coming.

Weight/Fitness Level
Still feeling like a blob. 

Conclusion
Could not sleep at all so I (hobbled)/wandered around the house and read up on knee issues online.  Probably the effects of the pain-killers wearing off.  Finally got to sleep at 4:00 am - 4:30 am.  Woke up at 9:15 am - darn it.  Needed to be up at 7:30 am - but oh well.

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2007, 02:52:44 PM »
ACL DONE June 14, 2007

DAY 9 - POST-SURGERY

Summary of day's events
An eventful day of social activity outside the home.

Pain level
Still low, except when (still) trying to straighten the knee to full extension - and when trying to bend the knee past 110 degrees.†

Pain Management
2 Advil during the day.† Was involved in a wedding's activities during the day (ceremony) and at night (reception).† Man, I needed more painkillers than that today; got a Tylenol from someone at the reception.

The two gel packs lost heat quickly over the course of the day and evening.† The neoprene, wrap-around knee-brace/ice protector works well as a stabilizer - much needed over this long night of fun.

Walking
Two crutches - and a bit of jumping on the "good leg" if I take a few steps without the crutch.†

Range of Motion
Flexion - 100 degrees
Knee is just too painful to extend fully, but it is coming.

Weight/Fitness Level
Blob-like.†

Conclusion
Slept like a log from 12:30 pm to 8:30 am.

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2007, 03:00:33 PM »
ACL DONE June 14, 2007

DAY 10 - POST-SURGERY

Summary of day's events
Another slow day, uneventful day, save for friends and family and good times at a post-wedding party.

Pain level
Higher than Days 6, 7, 8 or 9, no doibt because I was on my feet.† Lots of pain when (still) trying to straighten the knee to full extension - and when trying to bend the knee past 110 degrees.†

Pain Management
8 Advil; I do not like taking pain killers but obviously needed to.† Did not do any knee stretched/the exercises; moreover the knee fells loose and the joint is somewhat swollen ... ? overdid it? ... hope not.

Icing
Wrapping all four frozen gel-packs around my knee for two hours; the gel packs lose heat quickly.† I think that there may be a more effectacious device for wrapping aorund myself and reducing swelling.† Or need better gel-packs/hot-packs.

Walking
One and two crutches.

Range of Motion
Flexion - 100 degrees
Knee is just too painful to extend fully and the joint is catching on some (no doubt bone spurs / rough edges).

Weight/Fitness Level
Feeling like a bigger blob after eating my way through the weekend.

Conclusion
Went to bed at 1 am and up at 8 am.† Off to see the physiontherapist on DAY 11.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 10:25:04 PM by knee-will-be-great »

support