Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: My third reconstruction...  (Read 2304 times)

Offline Cubie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
My third reconstruction...
« on: August 15, 2009, 09:52:09 AM »
Hi all and in particular Sue and Deepak

I feel like documenting my progress from this surgery, it's my 3rd recon after a successful patellar tendon job in 2001 (R) and a failed hamstring job in 2007 (L). This time the surgeon here in Switzerland used the patellar tendon to reconstruct my left knee on 10th August.

So, 5 days post surgery. Still on crutches (one around the house- sorry Sue!). Started PT- flexion, extension exercises. Hanging leg extension, knee lifts and heel kicks, squats with 75% on good leg.

I have the all clear to go back to work on Monday 17th- I'm a middle school English teacher.

Once again as per my earlier post it would be nice to hear in particular from people who have had muliple recons.

Cheers
Andrew
2001: R ACL recon (NZ- patellar)
2007: L ACL recon (UK- hamstring)
2009: L arthroscopy and meniscus tidy up (Switzerland)
2009: L revision ACL recon (Switz- patellar)
2010: L arthroscopy and meniscus tidy up (Switz)
2011: L microfracture and meniscus repair (Switz)

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
Re: My third reconstruction...
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 01:48:09 PM »
Hi Andrew

back to school on Monday! WOW I'm well impressed   :o ;D ;D

Make sure your students come to you and that you have a stool or something to rest your leg on. I presume you are only half days in the classroom as we are in Germany or are you in a British/American/International school?

You know for yourself whether is is OK or not and also how to ensure that you keep going with the rehab exercises.

Are you getting any Lymph Drainage massage in Switzerland? It is magic for getting rid of the swelling - perfect for you after a day in school  :D

I'm on holiday until the 19th when I start back to work. So Monday and Tuesday I'm paragliding and then Friday afternoon through to Sunday I'm teaching sailing. i'm doing an intensive 2.5 day course with my boss so he can do his German "Segelnschein". It will be interesting to see how my knees deal with clambering about in a dinghy!  ::)

Keep us posted on your progress!

Sue  ;)

1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline nkbond

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 03:57:33 PM »

Are you getting any Lymph Drainage massage in Switzerland? It is magic for getting rid of the swelling - perfect for you after a day in school  :D

Hey Sue, can you give me any pointers or online refs for this type of massage?  I'm very interested in any massage techniques that are helpful after ACLr.  I asked this question on one of my tennis boards, and they acted like I was nuts!  Glad to hear there is something useful about massage.  So, please let me know the technique or point to a website for me...Thanks!  nelson
Medial Meniscus Repair
BPTB autograft ACLr
July 31, 2009
Medial Meniscectomy
February 24, 2010

Offline Cubie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 03:58:46 PM »
Hi Sue- the sailing sounds great- hope the weather stays fine....

No kids at my school next week as it's prep week for teachers only. I was clever however and went in to school and prepared my classroom before my surgery. So next week will be a catch up with colleagues, variety of meetings and a couple of half days off for physiotherapy.

Kids return on 25th, and oh yes, they will come to me with their work!

I'm at an International School. The surgeon agreed straight away that I could return. I feel pretty mobile and will be getting up early to do my exercises, as well as at lunchtime. It's all about range of movement and muscle control at this stage.

No sign of any lymph drainage massage! What's that all about? Do physios do it?

I took the option of staying awake for this surgery. 2 hours, including the removal of a pin from a previous surgery. I watched the whole thing on tv via the arthroscope and found it completely fascinating. There was a lot of drilling, sawing and hammering!

Take care
Andrew

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 04:21:05 PM »
Andrew and Nelson

here are some links for you to read up on it:

http://www.healthandgoodness.com/Therapies/lymph-drainage.html

http://www.vodderschool.com/ - this is the website of a school which teaches therapists according to the vodder technique. My physio was trained at the original Vodder School just over the Austrian border from here.

http://www.uiahe.com/html/therapies/ldt.jsp this is another site explaining the various types and effects of LDT

ttp://www.massagetherapy.com/articles/index.php/article_id/207/Lymph-Drainage-Therapy about the benefits after breast surgery but applies to knee or any other surgery as well.

Basically they stimulate the lymphatic system  and gently move the fluids in and around the knee back to the nodes in the groin where the excess fluids are reabsorbed. It is very relaxing and going by my two different system knees one British - (right knee 17 years ago) and one German (left knee operated on 5 times in the past 3.5 years) it is very effective. My right knee which never received this type of treatment is more swollen, even after all this time. It does not disturb me at all, but others notice the swelling, particularly over the knee in the Bursa area. My left knee which has received excellent LDT after each and every op is way more normal looking and the scarring is barely noticeable even at this early stage (in comparison with my right knee!)

I also used compression and ice, but the lymph drainage massage seems to have a significant difference and returned my knee much faster to a normal size so I could do more much earlier with flex and extension exercises.

Hope it helps - there are many therapists in Switzerland I believe Andrew, Nelson maybe you can find someone in your neck of the woods that is affordable. If I were in the UK I would pay privately to get this if I ever needed more knee surgery. It speeded up my recovery no end.

Sue  ;)

1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline Cubie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 07:59:51 PM »
Hi

Now 22 days since my revision ACL reconstruction. I'm now cycling on the stationary bike for up to half an hour. Doing squats with no weights and can walk without crutches ok (though taking them to school to ward off the crowds of students!).

Going to the physio twice a week- here in Switzerland they believe in a fairly accelerated programme and so far I am progressing faster than I did from my previous 2 reconstructions- touch wood.

Big goal is to do some decent hiking when I visit New Zealand at Christmas. No more rugby though....

All the best
Andrew

support