Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Feeling good! Is an op still necessary?  (Read 4036 times)

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
Re: Feeling good! Is an op still necessary?
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2009, 03:04:20 PM »
Hi Nicole

checking my multilingual dictionaries I think that "Ressaut a 1 croix" could be something to do with a meniscus tear. That would not be surprising as they often go hand in hand with ACL ruptures either occurring at the same time as the injury to the ACL or subsequently due to all the shifting around that takes place. I think it might even be a term for a bucket-handle tear but I am not sure. French medical terminology is not one of my specialities although I am a technical translator for French and German!

Congrats on getting a surgeon who looked at your injury and you and took the decision to operate. I answered your other question on your new thread, without reading this one first, so you've answered my question there!

nkbond - thanks for the compliment but I only use my own somewhat sad experience to base my comments on. If I can prevent someone from making some of the mistakes I made then I'm happy!  ;)

Sue
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline luvmy4girls

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2009, 04:43:49 PM »
Hey Nicole.....I know you are glad to finally make a decision.  I have had ACLr twice in the same knee.  Once when I was 21, and had ACLr revision when I was 39.  I too had a hard time deciding whether to do my surgery or not.  Yes my situation was a little different than yours, but I still had to decide on dealing with an unstable knee for the rest of my life or to have it repaired.  I will say I was very lucky to have a surgeon that did NOT question my age on whether or not to do the surgery.  He was the one that told me to have the surgery.....it was me that was hesitant. 

To make a long story short, I am 8 months post op from my ACLr revision and doing great. I did use an allograft this time b/c my patellar tendon was used for my previous reconstruction.  My ACL is nice and stable....I have not gotten back to full speed yet, but I will get there.  I am glad that I went ahead and had the surgery.  My doctor told me that I deserve to have the best knee that I can so that I can enjoy an active life with my four daughters. 

Good luck and keep us posted!

Kim ;)
2/1991 -  Rt knee torn ACL & MCL
3/12/1991 - Rt knee ACL reconstruction
6/2008 - Rt knee re-injured ACL
12/17/2008 - Rt knee ACL Reconstruction Revison

Offline Nicole43

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2009, 09:38:10 PM »
Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I've been following all your stories so I feel I have a lot of experienced people to back me up when the going gets tough!

After 6 months of anxiety about what decision to make, it sort of feels good to have a plan although I am feeling pretty nervous as well. No doubt I'll be asking you lots and lots of questions  ??? as I bumble along.
Nicole
Feb 2009 - Complete tear ACL Left Knee
Nov 2009 - ACL repair hamstring graft

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2009, 07:14:45 AM »
Hey Nicole

when you have a question post it here on the Cruciates Board not the post-op diaries one! I, along with most of the other long termers have this board flagged so we get emails when a new topic is posted. The post-op board is very general and things are too easily lost in the crowd there. The TPF people are a good example of supporting each other by staying in their own area.

Keep on doing everything you can do without causing more pain or swelling - so swimming, cycling, walking or whatever. The better your condition (fitness) going into this the better the rehab goes.

Sue  ;)

1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

vinnic

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2009, 02:28:45 PM »
Hi Nicole - so sorry to hear your knee didn't hold up.  However, good decision in going ahead with the surgery!  Sounds like you've got an experienced surgeon.  Hope you can figure out what the additional comment means.  Best of luck with the op and rehab.  I'm sure you'll do just fine!  In the meantime, prehab as much as possible.  Sure helped make my rehab easier - five months out now and so far so good!  Good lcuk!