Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: HELP!! Positive pre op test for MRSA....  (Read 2872 times)

Offline lilrosie06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • LIVE WELL. LAUGH OFTEN. LOVE MUCH.
HELP!! Positive pre op test for MRSA....
« on: June 13, 2007, 04:53:58 AM »
Ok, I am scheduled for a TKR on June 22. Went to my primary doctor today for pre op. She said that all my blood work, and EKG was good, but the MRSA (nose swab) test came back positive. YIKES!! :-\ I do see my surgeons physicians asst. tomorrow, but now am scared. Has anyone had this problem? Does it just mean that I could be a carrier? I know this can be picked up in the hospital. My doctor today said it wont stop the surgery, but will it cause me complications?

I am scared sh******!! :'(

Help please.....

Donna

LEFT KNEE INJURY-1-05
SCOPE 4-05, LR 1-07, TKR 6-07, MUA 7-07, REVISION 10-07, INFECTION CLEANOUT 11-07, REVISION 4-08, EXPLANT 2-09 ANTIBIOTIC SPACER PUT IN, AND PICC LINE FOR 6 WEEKS
REPLACEMENT 5-09

BACK IN PT NOW....HIP AND FOOT PAIN, POSSIBLY SCIATIC

Offline dogwalker

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: HELP!! Positive pre op test for MRSA....
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 06:14:15 AM »
Hi!  I can understand how upset you are.  Did your os inseart a needle into your knee to see if theres any pus (that meaning infection)  Is your knee swollen and red?  Hugs to you.  Liz

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 12:09:28 PM »
It means you tested posititve for MRSA, yes, but in the nasopharyngeal area. Not dangerous, as long as you're young and have a good immune system. We swab everyone whi will be admitted in the hopsital, everyone who is 75+, everyone who gets re-admitted with nose swabs at the ER. You should be swabbed alsewhere to see if it's also other areas.
When someone is + in the nose, the have to wash them with Hibiscrub for 5 days and use Bactroban nose suspension for 5 days and then get re-screened. You are only negative for MRSA if you are screened 3 times in a row - (well here).

Don't be scared, it's not that bad, but you are a carrier so  a risk to give it to other (sick) people. The hospital will take precautions. Nothing major. Get "treatment" and then get rescreened. As long as the MRSA doens't spread to the knee (or future TKR) it's not bad.

Good luck, and get well informed!

Helena
Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation

Offline lilrosie06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • LIVE WELL. LAUGH OFTEN. LOVE MUCH.
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 02:15:13 PM »
Thanks guys...no, no needle in my knee.....OUCH! I am on my way to another pre op appt, which is at my surgeons office, so hopefully I will get some answers. This just has me all freaked out..... :o

Donna
LEFT KNEE INJURY-1-05
SCOPE 4-05, LR 1-07, TKR 6-07, MUA 7-07, REVISION 10-07, INFECTION CLEANOUT 11-07, REVISION 4-08, EXPLANT 2-09 ANTIBIOTIC SPACER PUT IN, AND PICC LINE FOR 6 WEEKS
REPLACEMENT 5-09

BACK IN PT NOW....HIP AND FOOT PAIN, POSSIBLY SCIATIC