Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Knee surgery and martial arts kicking  (Read 1653 times)

Offline SofaGeorge

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee surgery and martial arts kicking
« on: June 13, 2007, 02:06:15 AM »
I recently had knee surgery for a torn meniscus.  My surgery was to "trim" off the tear.  I'm beginning physical theray this week.

I've practiced martial arts for most of my adult life, at this point primarily muay thai, western boxing, and judo.  Muay thai uses very powerful shin kicks as the center of the style. 

I am very curious to know if anyone here who has had meniscus surgery or worked with a martial arts practioner who has had meniscus surgery can give me any insight into what kind of ability to use my knee I might expect after rehabilitation.  Is meniscus surgery something that typically puts an end to being able to do powerful or repetative leg kicks... or is this something I will likely be able to return to with proper rehabilitation?

Any insight I can get on this topic would be much appreciated.

Offline zeni

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: Knee surgery and martial arts kicking
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 11:10:47 AM »
Here is the kneeguru general information page on menisci-

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/html/steps/step_04_meniscus/meniscus.html

and meniscectomy-

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/html/steps/step_04_meniscus/meniscectomy.html

Also take a look at the kneeguru section on rehabilitation-

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/html/gym/gym_menu.html

This kneegeeks bulletin board thread on recovery may be of interest to you-

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=36264.0

Offline SofaGeorge

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 03:22:05 PM »
Hi, Zeni, thank you.  I'd already found those... and found them VERY useful.  As a matter of fact, this entire site is a God send.

I'm just hoping to get personal stories with this question of people who actually practice the same sport.

Offline SofaGeorge

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 05:38:07 PM »
I practice martial arts and weight lift.  I was just given this video link by a champion strong man competitor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAHBEOzZhNM

For me, that is quite an amazing insight into how successful rehabilitation can be.

redtoblack

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 05:43:05 PM »
There are several of us at my TKD school who have had various knee surgeries, including the exact same surgery as yours.  The ages range from teenagers up to about 50 years old and they are all back to the same level of training they were pre injury.  Just take it slow to start with, but I don't see why you wouldn't be able to get back to your training.  Just check with your OS before you start.

Offline SofaGeorge

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 05:52:37 PM »
There are several of us at my TKD school who have had various knee surgeries, including the exact same surgery as yours.  The ages range from teenagers up to about 50 years old and they are all back to the same level of training they were pre injury.  Just take it slow to start with, but I don't see why you wouldn't be able to get back to your training.  Just check with your OS before you start.

Red to black... thank you.  I've gotten several missives now from martial artists and weight lifters who have had excellent recovery.  It appears the future may be bright.

kiddthekatt

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2007, 12:56:53 PM »
Hi George;
   Just thought I would drop by and see how the knee is treating you. How is you recovery coming along? I hope this find you in good spirits and in less pain.

Angel

Offline SofaGeorge

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2007, 04:19:30 PM »
Thanks for asking KiddtheKat

Truthfully, I'm getting sick of being "in recovery."  I want my old life back.

I know this isn't realistic yet... so I'm trying to take it day by day.  There are a LOT of people here who had much more serious work than I've had and they are doing well... so the future is bright.

kiddthekatt

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2007, 05:35:02 PM »
Hi;
  I understand exactly what you are saying. I'm sick of being gimp legged, laid up and feeling like a plague. I think my family has finally gotten used to the fact that I am not the same and probably won't be for a while. Thee damn knees are the pits, but you know what? I'm going to beat them and I'll be out in full force, maybe not this summer, but definitly by next summer. Take ncare George, and keep up your spirits. Things will get better.

Angel

support