Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Finally got ortho appt-need advice before appt  (Read 816 times)

Offline chrystee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Finally got ortho appt-need advice before appt
« on: June 12, 2007, 06:07:33 PM »
Hello everyone! I am still fairly new to this site and have learned alot since I joined. I finally got an appointment scheduled with an orthopedic doctor next week. I am really looking for some suggestions and advice before I go to the appointment.

Here's a little background about my knee issues. When I was a kid I played alot of sports, softball, basketball, track, cheerleading. I constantly had knee pain-told it was growing pains. When I was in junior high (about 12yrs old) my mom took me to an OS who said my cartilage was soft and I had loose kneecaps (at least that's what my mother remembers them saying). So I was advised to quit all the sports and that running was definately not the best thing for me to do. No major issues after that other than stairs and squatting bugged me a little bit. In 1998, age 22, I twisted my leg wrong at work and me knee just would not stop hurting...did PT for 3 months...no relief....OS finally scoped it and found that the fat pad was inflamed and pinching under my kneecap so the fat pad was trimmed. After that the pain was gone. Stairs squats and inclines were much harder at this point though but not enough that it overly concerned me. Well, the end of March '07, I stepped on one of my kids toys and twisted..yep you guessed the same leg. The next morning my knee was swollen but there was little to no pain...3 days later it hurt...finally went to the doctor (just our family doctor) who said I sprained it. She advised that I get a brace and stay off of it for 3 weeks....not easy to do with 3 kids one of which is a toddler! Anyway...2 weeks went by....the pain increased to the point I couldn't stand it so I went to the ER and the doc there put me on some sort of steroid, pain meds, advised to stay off of it and if it wasn't better in 1 week suggested that I would need xrays and a MRI and that she would note that in my records. I waited and went back to my doctor on May24...got xrays and a MRI.  My knee bothers me so bad now that I am limping most of the time and if I am on it too terribly long the pain gets kinda bad and the pain meds I am on don't completely relieve it. I posted my MRI results in another post but here they are:   

Findings: Anterior and posterior cruciate ligaments are intact, as are the medial and lateral collateral ligaments. There is no evidence of meniscal tear. Minor patellofemoral spurring is seen. Moderate to severe patellar chondromalacia is noted with swelling and increased signal intensity see involving the medial greater than lateral patellar facet. No significant joint effusion or abnormal fluid collection is noted. The marrow signal is intact. There is no fracture or osteochondral lesion identified.

Impression: Grade III chondromalacia of medial and lateral patellar facets with lateral patellar tilt and sublexation. No evidence of meniscal tear or other internal derangement.

My husband is deploying again in the next few months for a 15mth tour.....I am concerned about having to get some sort of surgery while he's gone considering we have 3 kids and no family near by. So because of that I really am leaning towards wanting the OS to scope my knee to see really what's going on since MRI's aren't always 100% accurate. That way if they see something that can ONLY be fixed by surgery they would see right away instead of 4-6 months later after trying the more conservative avenues like PT. Does that make any sense?

What would you do??? Any suggestions??? I appreciate your time and input!! Thanks so much!

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
Re: Finally got ortho appt-need advice before appt
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 07:13:34 PM »
Whew!  I know how you feel about being laid up with small kid, my old OS wanted to do a scope for a possible torn meniscus, but I refused.  I was alone with them at night and they slept upstairs (at the time they were 3 and 7mo.).  That just did not work for me.  Anyway to try to answer your questions.

Findings: Anterior and posterior cruciate ligaments are intact, as are the medial and lateral collateral ligaments. There is no evidence of meniscal tear. Minor patellofemoral spurring is seen. Moderate to severe patellar chondromalacia is noted with swelling and increased signal intensity see involving the medial greater than lateral patellar facet. No significant joint effusion or abnormal fluid collection is noted. The marrow signal is intact. There is no fracture or osteochondral lesion identified.

Impression: Grade III chondromalacia of medial and lateral patellar facets with lateral patellar tilt and sublexation. No evidence of meniscal tear or other internal derangement.

I sounds like you have some tearing of the cartilage under your kneecap, mostly along the edges.    Grade III condromalacia actually looks like feathers or crabmeat.  It is has "Fronds?" and depending on where it is it can catch in your knee.  I have that going on right now.  Two years ago I had the same trouble and had a scope to clean it up.  If the doc doesn't do much more than that.  You should start to feel better in a couple of weeks.  I could walk without crutches at home after a week or so, but used one for stability. The knee may take a few months to feel completely normal, but you can do most things in a few weeks.  It depends on the amount of work and how you heal.

It makes sense to scope it if you and your ortho think it will be of benefit.  It seems reasonable seeing that your husband will be deploying in a few weeks.  That way if there was something more to be done you could make some plans for how to procede.

I hope this helps some. Good luck.

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline bungleg

• Regular Poster
  • my tpf hardware
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 12:46:14 AM »
sounds like a good idea to try and get it done before your hubby goes make a list of questions to take to your os that way you wont forget to ask things and make sure to get the os to explain things in plain english so you are not left wondering, I find they tell you very little if you dont ask,and dont be afraid to explain your situation with hubby going away so that the os understands were your at
hope everything works out for you and good luck
bungleg
30/08/05 tpf, plate 8 screws and bone graft, pivot brace 5degs movment, 12weeks nwb, pt, leg stuck at 45deg
30/11/05 got leg straight phone books came in handy,rom 60degs,hydro,pt, start wb increase 10kg per week
01/03/06 full wb rom 95
may 06 rom 110
nov 06 screws + plate removed arthroscopy

Offline FindnNemo91

• Forum Faithful
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 12:50:29 AM »
i found it, and the OS, very helpful to make a list of your symptoms to take with you.

jak
TTT/Lateral Release/Chondroplasty: May 15th, 2009
Brostrom Reconstruction: Oct 16th, 2009

~United States Army~
Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic

Offline chrystee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 02:31:05 PM »
Thanks everyone! Great idea FindNem about the list of symptoms!

support