Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: recovery time after cleaning out under kneecap??  (Read 6081 times)

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
recovery time after cleaning out under kneecap??
« on: June 12, 2007, 02:18:32 AM »
Hi,
I am scheduled to have under my kneecap cleaned out next Thursday.  Could anyone tell me the approximate recovery time?  I know that it is short, but was wondering how long before I would be able to return to light hiking and low impact sports.  Thanks.

Casey
LOA #2 and hardware removal 12/15/08-new cartilage from ACI looks "GOOD"
LOA on left knee 3/18/07
ACI and HTO on left knee 10/22/07
scope of right knee on 6/21/07
microfracture left knee 3/18/05

Offline lozzie

• Forum Faithful
Re: recovery time after cleaning out under kneecap??
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 03:42:56 AM »
It depends on how much they have to clean out. My doc didn't know beforehand how much damage there was and was quite surprised once he got in there. My first knee took 5 months before I could walk 10kms again. Still waiting for the second one to be fully healed.

Take care,
Lozzie.
Aug '06 Right knee LR and chondroplasty
Feb '07 Left knee LR and chondroplasty

Offline mhsflute07

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 04:00:12 AM »
Hi Casey,

It depends on what you have done. If you just have a debridement, the recovery time would be very minimal...probably just as soon as you feel back to normal. If you end up having something more like abrasion or microfracture it will be longer. I had a scope last Tuesday to clean out under my kneecap and address a lesion. I was on crutches until the day after surgery, but still can't do a whole lot. I had the same thing done last year, and was back to normal after maybe two weeks, but couldn't do any high impact activity for a couple months. It just really depends on what you have done and your OS's protocol.

I hope your surgery goes well!!

Erin
June 2, 2005 TTT/LR  R.
July 26, 2005 TTT/LR  L.
June 6, 2006 Microfracture R.
June 5, 2007 Microfracture & Screw Removal R.
March 12, 2009 Scope and ACI Biopsy R.
May 12, 2009 TTT, Trochleoplasty R.
December 15, 2009 ACI (patella) & bilateral hardware removal
December 21, 2010 LOA and LR

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 12:17:20 PM »
Thank you.  Just to clarify, the only thing that I am allowing my OS to do, is to clean out under the kneecap.  If there is a lesion, I am not going to allow him to microfracture it or address it in any other way.  I will be having ACI on my other knee by a different surgeon as soon as I get insurance approval and if I have to have anything beyond just a clean out, I am going to allow the other surgeon to address any lesion that might be under my kneecap.  It's a long story as to why I have two OS's.  It all has to do with my insurance company.  Thanks for your replies. 
LOA #2 and hardware removal 12/15/08-new cartilage from ACI looks "GOOD"
LOA on left knee 3/18/07
ACI and HTO on left knee 10/22/07
scope of right knee on 6/21/07
microfracture left knee 3/18/05

support