Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: glucosamine and chondroitin whats your opinion  (Read 2544 times)

Offline bungleg

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • my tpf hardware
glucosamine and chondroitin whats your opinion
« on: June 12, 2007, 12:43:58 AM »
my gp has told me to take these for the rest of my life he says they help with and rebuild meniscus and cartlege,any body taking them and do you think it is working
30/08/05 tpf, plate 8 screws and bone graft, pivot brace 5degs movment, 12weeks nwb, pt, leg stuck at 45deg
30/11/05 got leg straight phone books came in handy,rom 60degs,hydro,pt, start wb increase 10kg per week
01/03/06 full wb rom 95
may 06 rom 110
nov 06 screws + plate removed arthroscopy

Offline Berta

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • Much to young to feel this dam old, Garth Brooks
Re: glucosamine and chondroitin whats your opinion
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 02:05:19 AM »
The docs 1st guess, back in January was that I had arthritis, and I started taking the supplements. Since it turns out that I have actually damaged my knee, then it's hard to tell if the supplements are working.

I figure that they don't cost to much, and I haven't seen any negative reports so I'm going to keep taking them. Everything I've looked at says that they should help. Are you having traetment at all?
6th Dec 2007 arthoscropy, major debridement and meniscus trimmed
Jan 08 2008 Arthritis grade 2/3 told to wait until TKR needed.
August 2010 Left knee arthroscopy

Offline lozzie

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 03:44:59 AM »
I take glucosamine powder (when I remember to do it). It works for me, but I don't intend to take it every day for the rest of my life. I think there's a whole section on here about supplements, you might like to look there for more information.

Take care,
Lozzie.
Aug '06 Right knee LR and chondroplasty
Feb '07 Left knee LR and chondroplasty

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 01:56:53 PM »
The stuff does not regrow meniscus or cartilage. I took it at the advice of my GP and all it did was burn a hole in my wallet. My  OS said not to bother as there are really no studies that prove its effectiveness. It seems to work for some people but it might just be the placebo effect. It's also pretty expensive, or at least it used to be. The other thing to watch out for is it is not regulated by the FDA so there really is  no guarantee that you're getting the amount of stuff that is listed on the label. All brands are not created equal and it's likely the cheaper the price then the less of the actual ingredients you're getting. Buyer beware.

Offline DJK

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 08:50:43 PM »
Along with the advice above, be careful and read the label...most are derived from shellfish which is never advertised...I am sure others like myself are allergic to seafood and wouldn't want any reactions to it.
L knee
scoped/debridement 10/02
Fulkerson 12/03
got unscrewed 9/04
scoped/debridement/LR 8/05
Allograft w/OBI plugs 8/10/06

Offline bungleg

• Regular Poster
  • my tpf hardware
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 11:28:12 PM »
thanks everone as my wc will pay for it ill give it a try for six months and see how my knee goes
30/08/05 tpf, plate 8 screws and bone graft, pivot brace 5degs movment, 12weeks nwb, pt, leg stuck at 45deg
30/11/05 got leg straight phone books came in handy,rom 60degs,hydro,pt, start wb increase 10kg per week
01/03/06 full wb rom 95
may 06 rom 110

Offline Scout

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
    • Pamela
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2007, 05:02:08 AM »
I know one thing; when I run out of my glucosamine/chondroitin/msm, my knee is in pain again within a few days.

I buy Spring Valley brand from Walmart, with a little research I found out that this brand has the actual milligrams listed on the bottle.  I use Triple Strength.

Offline lozzie

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2007, 03:10:21 PM »
It is possible to get non-seafood glucosamine for those who have allergy or dietary issues. It contains glucosamine hydrochloride.

Offline costumer

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2007, 03:22:22 PM »
my gp has told me to take these for the rest of my life he says they help with and rebuild meniscus and cartlege,any body taking them and do you think it is working

I've been taking glucosamine sinc e it hit the American market. I figured 'with my knees, it couldn't hurt!' According to my primary dr, he says once the cartilege is gone, it's gone and nothing is going to 'rebuild' or 'renew' it (cheery guy). I dunno. What I do know is that before I started taking it, my feet really hurt a lot in the morning when I got up (you know, that 'old people' dance?) and after it built up in my system my feet don't hurt (now I'm doing the dance for my knees)! I managed to go for about 25 years between serious knee problems, dunno if the glucosamine had an impact or not, but I never developed the arthritis until about last year, and majorly this year.

I know some people can't take it because it bothers their stomach. I have no problem, it's just a big horsepill. My mother, however, gets an upset stomach and only takes it every other day - she's just joined the bad knee crowd at 77 and is very annoyed!

the PA also told me to take fish oil as well since one of it's big side-effedts is supposed to be good for bad knees. <sigh> 'nother horsepill.

So try the glucosamine, give it a month or so (if your stomach is ok), and see how you feel.

-Judy
Dx: bi-lat subluxating patellae w/chondromalacia 4/1977
6/78 LR - LK
1/80 TTT-Hauser LK; 12/80 Proximal Realignment Mystery- RK
1/82 Maquet TTT- LK
11/06 Meniscectomy; Mild OA- RK, 12/06 Meniscectomy; Mod OA- LK
3/07 Bi-lat severe arthritis
9/18/07 bi-lat TKR

Offline lozzie

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2007, 05:26:15 PM »
I have chronic stomach problems, and I get glucosamine powder, which I mix into a glass of water and drink while I'm cooking my main meal. It hasn't seemed to give me any problems. One of the other effects of fish oil is that it coats your stomach lining, so that can also offset any effects the glucosamine might have. However, to make sure the glucosamine is absorbed efficiently, I would suggest you don't take it at the same time as the fish oil. When I need both, I take glucosamine with my main meal at lunchtime, and flax seed oil (vegetarian version of fish oil  ;)) at nighttime.

Take care,
Lozzie.

Offline DeniseC

• Regular Poster
  • Life is good.
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2007, 02:02:48 AM »
Hi - I've been taking glucosaming & chondroitin & fish oil & MSM for about 8 months.  I sometimes think it must be helping, esp. when I have days with little pain, but then I have big roaring pain days and who knows?!  I buy it in California at Costco and it doesn't cost too much so I just keep on taking it since I'm willing to do a lot to handle these knees...Best of luck.
1/2005 first meniscectomy
6/2005 second one
severe osteoarthritis both knees
10/06 Hyalgen injection series
8/07 Synvisc injections
Pain meds, exercise, massage!
2/27/08 bilateral TKR's plus a bonus emergency arterial graft
5/14/08 doing better, ROM R124 and L138!

Offline Audice

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2007, 12:59:25 PM »
Beyond reading to insure that you get a glucosamine/chondroitin combo that has as much of the ingredient as it says on the label, remember MSM, Hyaluronic acid & a number of other products that make about the same claims so far as comfort is concerned. If one product doesn't seem to work for you, try another.

For a number of years I switched from product to product as they became available, but have settled on Hyaluronic Acid/MSM made by NOW. Given the amount of damage to my knee as well as my age, I feel comfortable saying the stuff is helping...Ellie (pushing 70)
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline Annika

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2007, 03:38:58 PM »
When I joined this board in March, there had just been a scientific test - I don't remember by whom but it was posted on here by the moderators. The conclusion of the test was no proof of improvement. I don't take it though I have friends who swear by it.
ACL bust 3/3/07 France skiing
ACLr 17/4/07 France
UK & Sweden for May & June 07 rehabbing
Full extension at around 3 1/2 months
First heel to bum at just under 5 months

Offline lozzie

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2007, 04:00:07 PM »
Hi Ellie,

Are you saying that you can get a hyaluronic acid supplement? I had injections of the stuff, but had no idea it was available orally. I found hyaluronic acid injections helped me a lot with fluidity of motion, and then I take the glucosamine to help with soreness in my cartilage.

Are you in the States? I live in South America, but will be in California soon, and would be interested to try your HA/MSM combo.

Take care,
Lorraine.

Offline bungleg

• Regular Poster
  • my tpf hardware
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2007, 01:32:42 PM »
I think this stuff is starting to work
01/03/06 full wb rom 95
may 06 rom 110

support