Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Really not a joke any more - I'm fed up....  (Read 3578 times)

Offline itigo

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Really not a joke any more - I'm fed up....
« on: June 11, 2007, 08:45:23 PM »
Sorry for the whinge, but hubby is fed up with me mentioning my knee!

My knee is SO sore. I had physio last week which helped for about 24 hours - ultrasound therapy to reduce the swelling. Basically the OS reckons I have more meniscus damage and has put me on the urgent list for surgery. I now have a Baker's cyst and my knee is swollen - medially and now my LR site has puffed up again. I am a special ed teacher and need to be on my feet for most of the day. I am now limping loads (trying not to though). I am leading a school trip Wednesday which will involve being on my feet walking most of the day - dreading it. Then next week have another school trip which will involve a 45 minute hike (including a steep rough hill) and again on my feet all day. HELP!!!

I could just cry at the thought of it all. I am going to have to start laying on the Ibuprofen again - have dodgy tummy so try to avoid and can't take co-codomol.

I am going to ask my boss if I can take my crutch so I at least can lessen the load a bit but don't think it's practical really.

OK, moan over. Thanks if you listened!

Itigo xx
1990 dislocated LK in hockey
1990 arthroscopy - debridement, cartilage removal
05 LK unstable and painful
May 06 dx tilting kneecaps
Nov 06 arthroscopy and open LR
Oct 07 debridement arthroscopy
Sept 09 - May 13 subluxing frequently
May 13 TTT and MPFL reconstruction

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
Re: Really not a joke any more - I'm fed up....
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 09:01:55 PM »
I hear you.  My husband and I have deal about griping about pain.  You can only gripe once  a day about the same issue.  It doesn't always work but...

I would take the crutch for the hike too.  At least you could have something for a bit of support.

Do you take your Ibuprofen after a meal?  That helps some folks.  I know not everyone is like me and can just swallow them anytime.  I even take asprin with soda pop.  I may pay for that later in life, but so far so good.

Good luck and be save on your trips.

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline itigo

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 09:17:23 PM »
Thanks! That advice is quite good! Will follow it. I think now saving my knee from further damage outweighs not wanting to use my crutch, plus the main safety issue on next week's hike....

Thanks again....

Itigo xx

Offline Berta

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • Much to young to feel this dam old, Garth Brooks
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 09:59:58 PM »
I so know how you feel, also have Bakers Cyst, and possible meniscal tear, waiting to see OS and have MRI scan, but God alone knows when that will be, and he's not sharing the info.
I also have the whole swollen knee, and family who are bored with asking 'how's the knee' and getting a short sharp answer, well usually I'm polite, but just sometimes.................

For sure take the crutch with you, I can't imagine being on my feet all day at the moment, and a hill.......well good luck to you. It sounds more practical to take the crutch, or a good stout hiiking stick, rather than risk making things worse, and maybe having to be off of work. I find my stomach is not so bad if I take the Ibroprufen with milk, just before a meal.

I'm lucky, we are on a farm so I can choose to rest my knee when I need to, and work when I can, my biggie coming up is wanting to go to an agricultural show next week, followed by a Willie Nelson concert, I know it's personal choice for me, but I'm sure you'll recognise that feeling of dread thinking about the whole day.

Good luck, let us know how things go
6th Dec 2007 arthoscropy, major debridement and meniscus trimmed
Jan 08 2008 Arthritis grade 2/3 told to wait until TKR needed.
August 2010 Left knee arthroscopy

Offline celinenj03

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 10:09:22 PM »
I really feel for you. I went through many days like that as a mom of 2 little ones on the go. The bottom line is you have to find a way to get through it right now. I agree if you can handle the ibuprofen (I like Motrin or Aleve), it might take the edge off. I ALWAYS took mine with a big glass of milk and that seemed to stave off any stomach issues. Also, if you eat with it, it seems to work better/quicker??? ::) ::) That's the honest to God truth, just try it. I was up to 16 motrin a day after my surgery and never had a stomach pain, but I always ate a meal with the dose and drank milk as well. I don't recommend a dose with your morning cup of coffee.

If you get a lunch break during the trip try to find a way to get some ice on your knee. That will sort of buy you more time. I did some weird things during my recovery. Once I even stopped in a gas station a bought a huge bag of ice but only used about a t 1/4th of it in a plastic bag, but it really helped.

Your knee is sick and you have to take care of it. Take every opportunity during the day to rest and elevate it and sneak some ice on it. Maybe even buy those ice packs that you can bust and then shake and they get cold.

Do you have a brace? That might also help you get through it. Men can only handle so much, I try not to fault my husband when he rolls his eyes about any knee issues going on and I try to limit my comments to only once in a while. Where is it going to get you anyway at this point? Sadly, I just don't think were built for that, but that's okay you have us ;) Hang in there I will say a prayer for you to get through it.

Terrible Triad - 1/16/06 - Basketball
3/15/06 - Scope/Cleanout of to achieve full ROM
5/3/06 - Surgery-ACL Reconstruction-Allograft
9/12/07 - Large Loose body removed;Grade 4 Lesion on LFC
9/17/08-Microfracture, Lateral Release (all right knee)

trainwreck

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 11:04:38 PM »
I am so sorry you are having such a rough time. I have no magic words but I hope things get better for you real soon.  You really are in a rough place but things always seem to get better.
You will be in my thoughts.
Allison

Offline bungleg

• Regular Poster
  • my tpf hardware
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 12:28:51 AM »
bags of ice lovely they work a treat but it is extra weight to carry so it may not be a good idea in your case.plenty of anti inflamatries and panadene but stay away from the forte type as I found they can quikly cause stomach pain,take your crutch or walkiing stig definatly and if you cant then when you start walking try and find a good firm stick and use that for support,try not to limp to much otherwise you will end up with a crook back,other than that if you can get out of going get out of it
all the best and hope everything works out ok
bungleg (rick) from oz
30/08/05 tpf, plate 8 screws and bone graft, pivot brace 5degs movment, 12weeks nwb, pt, leg stuck at 45deg
30/11/05 got leg straight phone books came in handy,rom 60degs,hydro,pt, start wb increase 10kg per week
01/03/06 full wb rom 95
may 06 rom 110
nov 06 screws + plate removed arthroscopy

Offline wnd45acp

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 01:19:42 AM »
Sorry for the whinge, but hubby is fed up with me mentioning my knee!

My knee is SO sore. I had physio last week which helped for about 24 hours - ultrasound therapy to reduce the swelling. Basically the OS reckons I have more meniscus damage and has put me on the urgent list for surgery. I now have a Baker's cyst and my knee is swollen - medially and now my LR site has puffed up again. I am a special ed teacher and need to be on my feet for most of the day. I am now limping loads (trying not to though). I am leading a school trip Wednesday which will involve being on my feet walking most of the day - dreading it. Then next week have another school trip which will involve a 45 minute hike (including a steep rough hill) and again on my feet all day. HELP!!!

I could just cry at the thought of it all. I am going to have to start laying on the Ibuprofen again - have dodgy tummy so try to avoid and can't take co-codomol.

I am going to ask my boss if I can take my crutch so I at least can lessen the load a bit but don't think it's practical really.

OK, moan over. Thanks if you listened!

Itigo xx
People that have never had this type of pain, injury etc have no clue and can often be just plain jerks about it.. that includes spouses !  Mine thought I was making it up until he walked in on me rolling in pain on the bed and sliently crying.. THEN he woke up and realized how bad it was and I was not faking it ..
Don't start a dogfight with those of us born to be pitbulls !

Offline Scout

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
    • Pamela
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2007, 05:09:55 AM »
You might try trekking poles instead of a crutch, they're ultra light and they make them telscopic too, (small enough to fit in a daypack).  Instant ice packs, (the kind you put in 1st Aid Kits), are lighter and will not melt, you can carry several in a pack.  Break one open when you need it.  I'm a backpacker, so I always think go-lite.

You might think I'm blessed, but if my husband asks me one more time how my knee is, I'll probably smack him.  I know he is concerned, loving and caring, but it's driving me crazy!

Offline Berta

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2007, 11:32:00 PM »
Just wondering is you survived the trip OK?

Offline wnd45acp

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2007, 03:54:34 AM »
You might try trekking poles instead of a crutch, they're ultra light and they make them telscopic too, (small enough to fit in a daypack). Instant ice packs, (the kind you put in 1st Aid Kits), are lighter and will not melt, you can carry several in a pack. Break one open when you need it. I'm a backpacker, so I always think go-lite.

You might think I'm blessed, but if my husband asks me one more time how my knee is, I'll probably smack him. I know he is concerned, loving and caring, but it's driving me crazy!
If he askes if you need something and gets it nicely be glad... mine asks so lovingly if I need something and if I say yes.. he makes a face like its the end of the world.  I do it myself its just easier that way !
Don't start a dogfight with those of us born to be pitbulls !

Offline itigo

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2007, 10:07:25 AM »
Hello Again!

Well I strapped my knee up really well and it was ok without a stick as it was all on the flat. The extra compression really helped. Had a good day actually - just tiring!
This coming Wednesday is the big doozy as it involves rough ground up a HUGE hill into forest! Will deffo take a stick that day. Am on tree watch rather than bug watch (boring but no kneeling involved!).

Thanks for all your kind words.

Itigo xx

Offline Berta

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2007, 06:44:47 PM »
Sounds like the tree option is better than the bug option, watch the kneeling! Glad you survived the trip intact, but the next one sounds scary. Make sure that you do take at least a stick for that one. I'm worried to strap my knee because of the size of the cyst and the amount of lower leg swelling I have. How much and how far do you strap, and what does it do to your cyst?
I've now managed to upset husband good and proper, we are off to a big agricultural show on Wednesday, and the thought of spending a whole day walking, and worse standing around talking about tractors, was filling me with dread. I found out that somebody there was hiring electric scooters, so phoned and booked one............he's not happy. I don't care, all my symptoms started after attending the big winter agricultural show back in November, so I'm not risking it again.

Offline itigo

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2007, 09:31:04 PM »
Hiya

I used a sports brace thingy with 3 velcro straps and kneecap stabilisers - nothing fancy.... an old version of this....http://www.pricelite.co.uk/argos/home-gym-equipment/york-adjustable-stabilised-knee-support.htm
I am large and so it is quite tight by the time I have reached the velcro round.....!

It seemed to make the cyst pop back in (?) rather than aggravate it but that's just me, don't know if I did right or not!! I figure anything that makes it feel better.

I don't blame you going for the motorised support - lots of walking on uneven ground and standing around - not my idea of fun!

Take care, let me know how the show goes and I'll be back to report whether I landed on my backside coming down the hill!!! Lots do apparently - perhaps with a stick I'll be the lucky one!

Itigo xx

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2007, 04:54:37 PM »
I hope your trip went well.  No rolling down the hill I hope  :).
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

support