Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Can VMO recover??  (Read 1966 times)

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Can VMO recover??
« on: June 11, 2007, 03:59:02 PM »
Hi,
Has anyone had a chronically wasted VMO and managed to get it up and running again?

Mine is invisible - you can feel it if you press your finger on it while performing a motion that uses it but its been wasted so many years and both physio and OS agree its not 'firing'.

Am now doing VMO specific strengthening exercises and today received an Electrical Muscle Stimulator machine to help get it firing also.

Just wondering if the body reaches a point where it refuses to build a muscle from so many years of not using it.......
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Can VMO recover??
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 05:51:20 AM »
I have never heard of a problem going so long that a VMO can't be rebuilt at all.
If so you need to have other damages at same time, making the muscle not being able to contract.
All is a matter of finding the muscle in first stage and when you have learnt that the hard to work to build that up.
Could take a long time. My phys did tell me once..if you have been injured maybe 6 months, takes a year to come back.
So be patient and listen to your phys and do exactly what you are told, that's the mainkey for success.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: Can VMO recover??
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 08:38:28 AM »
Hi Nettan,
There is no other damage in the area that prevents me from contracting the muscle - it just doesnt want to 'fire' automatically. The rest of the muscles in the quadriceps group just keep taking over and VMO stays asleep.

I started using the electrical muscle stimulator yesterday - it certainly got VMO contracting!!! Id a very tired leg afterwards!!!

Thats very encouraging that you think it can be rebuilt - I was getting worried that if it hadnt been used in so long that perhaps it would never come back.
Thank you.
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app