Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Bone bruise - can not bend knee after 7 weeks, 13 years old HELP!  (Read 1366 times)

Offline dstanke

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
My daughter got a bone bruise 7 weeks ago on the inside tip of her femur, (tripped over her own feet) and has not been able to bend her knee for the past 7 weeks.   No pain as long as she keeps her leg straight.  She has been taking advil and icing her knee, wearing a brace during school.  She started physical therapy for 2 weeks, but that made the swelling and pain worse with little bending improvement.  Doctor now wants to do arthoscopic surgery to see what else may be stopping her from being able to bend her knee.  My question is has anyone else not been able to bend their knee for this long and with time been able to eventually bend it on their own?  I understand bone bruises can take several weeks or months to heal, but does this mean that it can take this long before improvement begins, or should there be a slow progression of getting better during this time?  Any information would be appreciated.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Bone bruise - can not bend knee after 7 weeks, 13 years old HELP!
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 06:10:46 AM »
Before doing ANY surgery I would get a second opinion on her knee as she only is 13.
Something is clearly not right in there if she get so much pain and swelling after phys.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
Re: Bone bruise - can not bend knee after 7 weeks, 13 years old HELP!
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007, 03:43:05 PM »
I would go for the scope... just to get a good look at what is going on in there. The longer your daughter goes wihtout being able to bend the worse it is for her knee.
I had a bad bone bruise on my right knee after I fell a year ago riding my horse.  I could always bend my knee, it just really hurt to do it. And there is a difference between not being able to bend and not wanting to bend. IT could be that your daughter has a torn cartilage or something that is stopping her being able to bend her knee.
I would go for the scope and get to the bottom of this sooner rather than later.

GOodluck :)
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

support