Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Patellofemoral pain Disorder  (Read 531 times)

Offline Amybkd

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Patellofemoral pain Disorder
« on: June 10, 2007, 10:03:53 PM »
I'm 21 years old and I've had knee pain for almost two years now. I thought it was arthritis b/c at times the pain is unbearable. I went to a regular doctor and he ran blood test and took a couple xrays but couldn't find anything so said it must be stress. Not happy with those results b/c I knew it wasn't stress, I decided to see an orthopedic doctor. This doctor took a lot of xrays and determined I have patellofemoral pain disorder b/c the xrays showed my knee caps are tilted. He told me I need to go to physical therapy for four weeks two times a week to correct the problem. My question is.... will therapy correct this or is it likely I will need surgery? My doctor seemed determined the therapy will work fine but the therapist (didn't come out and say) but his attitude made me think he dosen't believe the therapy is going to work. He put it basically " the fact it is in both knees I'm not sure if therapy will work but it may." How is it determined if you need surgery? What is the recovery time? And how likely is it that therapy WILL work? Come someone please help? I would like opinions from someone other then the doctor!! Thank you!

Offline mhsflute07

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: Patellofemoral pain Disorder
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 11:17:54 PM »
Hi,

I don't know actual percentages, but many times therapy is very successful. Usually, the doctor will want to start with the least invasive treatment which is therapy. I don't think there is a set rule for who needs surgery and who doesn't. Different people respond to different treatments differently. So surgery is usually a last resort, when you personally have exhausted every conservative option, are not satisfied with the results, and cannot function normally without further intervention. Even if you end up needing surgery, it is best to have your muscles as strong as possible. Recovery time for surgery really depends on what is done, so I can't really help you there.

Give therapy your best shot. It is really worth it to at least try. I tried many conservative treatments over 5 years before having my first two surgeries, and then did therapy again for a year in between the second and third, and again for a year between the third and fourth. I really hope it works for you.

Best of luck!

Erin
June 2, 2005 TTT/LR  R.
July 26, 2005 TTT/LR  L.
June 6, 2006 Microfracture R.
June 5, 2007 Microfracture & Screw Removal R.
March 12, 2009 Scope and ACI Biopsy R.
May 12, 2009 TTT, Trochleoplasty R.
December 15, 2009 ACI (patella) & bilateral hardware removal
December 21, 2010 LOA and LR

support