Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Tips for reaching the floor!!  (Read 7065 times)

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: Tips for reaching the floor!!
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2007, 12:18:02 PM »
Hi Denny,
youre absolutely right - the back is probably feeling the strain, best thing to see the doc - itd be great if he bumped you up the list. the back might settle again when the knee is fixed up.
i totally sympathise with your back problmes - i had a bizarre injury yesterday, was just out of bed, was arranging myself against my gym ball for the squats, holding weights, leaning slightly back, and i sneezed. my whole back went into a huge spasm!! its been killing me since. it settled ok in thedaytime yesterday but all night it was locking up and spasming. i know its only a pulled muscle. i spoke to my physio on the phone, she said to go to the gp and get anti inflammatories - so im on my way there shortly. other than that ive to rest, heat it and just try and take it easy. i called in sick to work today - might take the rest of the week off. sore back sucks!! i never had back problems before - it hurts a LOT!!

other than my bizarre sneezing injury (which i gotta admit is a funny prospect even though its sore!!) - my knee is doing great!!!
got loads of gains on the tests!
there are 3 tests, slow, faster, fastest, and each one measures extension and flexion. so 6 flavours of results.
first time out i had a 44% deficit on my right leg compared to left on slowest extension, getting increasingly worse with higher speed, and all flexions were weaker too.
this time ive an 18% deficit on slowest - again getting worse with each one, but the overall trend on improvement is the same, and guess what? my flexion is stronger than my good leg on ALL tests!!
so im real pleased about that. physio said go away and continue exercises til i see OS (next week) and depending on what he says to go back to them in a couple of weeks time to continue rehab.
ive no doubt he is gonna say 'go back to physio'!!

i know what you mean about stretching in bed - its just not easy is it?? i think they should design some sort of stand up sleep pods for us two - so that our weight is supported buyt we dont do ourselves any injuries in!!!
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline Berta

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • Much to young to feel this dam old, Garth Brooks
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2007, 04:59:24 PM »
Tanya, I so feel for you with that spasm, it may only be a pulled muscle but that flaming well hurts, it's just that spasm I get as a warning shot that things are not well with my back, everything just locks up, having dealt with for so long I can deal with the 'quick hits' with rest, exersise, ice heat etc etc, but I'm always scared when they start, it's like warning rumbles from a volcano, you know that an eruption is possible at any time, and if it blows big time, it will be like it for weeks until I can get it under control again. I once managed to put my back out cleaning my teeth, so as we keep saying.....be careful out there.

I went back to the doc yesterday, very frustrating, explained all the new symptoms with my leg and knee, and he just sat there and made notes, when I said I was worrioed because it's affecting my back, he cheered up and sent me next door to the hospital for an x-ray. The radioligist and I agree that there is nothing showing at the usual suspects, L4 and L5, although he thinks that there is some narrowing at T12, which is further up the spine, and not one we have had to worry about before. Antway, will wait for the experts to read them before getting to concerned, I was trying to tell him that my only real worry is that the uneven gait and restricted exersise will cause a problem ongoing, not that there is any major issue right now.

Anyway, have decided that enough is enough, did some research andf have found a highly rated doc in the next big (ger) town along, so phoned to get an appointment to see him, he is on holiday so can't go until next Tuesday. I'm hoping that this guy will actually lay hands on the leg, will poke it and prod it and move it, and will give me an opinion on whats going on, the current one has only actually touched it once! Yesterday just did my head in as I wa strying to find out what the various lumps and swellings are, he pointed out the Bakers Cyst, above the knee, bit admitted he has no idea what the lumo below the knee is, so fingers crossed that we can move on next week.
6th Dec 2007 arthoscropy, major debridement and meniscus trimmed
Jan 08 2008 Arthritis grade 2/3 told to wait until TKR needed.
August 2010 Left knee arthroscopy

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2007, 06:44:52 PM »
hi!
my back is much much better today, just sore like its bruised, the spasms have stopped - its still pretty swollen though, but vastly improved.
im gonna start back at my knee exercises tomorrow if the back is better again.

wow - now ive to be careful sleeping, sneezing and brushing my teeth too!!!! its a dangerous world!!

hmmmm, your doc doesnt sound like he is doing a whole lot ofr you - i suppose at least he sent you for the back x-rays. definitely let the experts do the reading, i usually think my x-rays tell terrible stories then the experts seem unconcerned!!

im delighted you are going to see a new doc. you need to see someone who is gonna take more of an interest in your leg!!! next tuesday will come round in no time. next week must be the week for seeing the experts, im seeing my OS next thursday too :)

hope all is well besides the usual aches and pains!! im a little bored off work but catching up on my movie watching!!
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline Berta

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2007, 06:33:14 AM »
You need to be careful of sitting to, the worst time I had with my back started with haing a dose of the flu, and lying ariund in bed to long made the back weak, so it went when I got up and started getting around again, I was off of work for a month. The firts day back, I had only been in the office for like 30 mins, when I went to sit back in my chair and put the darn thing out again, and was off another 6 weeks or so, so watch how you sit as well!!!!!!!!!

Glad to hear that things are improving with your back, just bring everything back up gently. Mine was bad today, I was catually glad when husbamd pointed out that I'm really grouchy as well, and tenderly asked if it was the time off the month..........................he's right, so mood and back should improve in a day or two.

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2007, 12:22:20 PM »
hey denny,
do you have physio exercises for you back? how does one make ones back stronger??

time of the month i have been known to get small spasms in my lower back - its the womb expanding isnt it?
im gonna turn my mattress this weekend too - i used to get a sore back from my last mattress, so i got a different one and there was much improvement, but since my boyfriend moved in i think the new one has started to sag a little in the middle with the weight of two people on it.
we are planning on getting an orthopediac mattress cos he sometimes suffers with upper back pain sometimes (although his is some kind of ligament issue from over doing it in the gym that seems to trigger when he is stressed and tense).

do you find a hard mattress best? im interested to know whats the best kind to go for from someone who had suffered with back pain.
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline Berta

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2007, 05:33:23 PM »
The physio for the back is mainly trying to get stretch in the lower back muscles, so the main one is bringing knees to chest, either when sitting or lying down, that gives me a couple of issues, getting that much bend in the knee, but fortunatley it's the right side that usually locks, and thats the good knee, so that side is easier. The other problem is getting fat thighs to get past fat tummy!!!!!!!!!!!!! The others are doing lunges, once again not to much problem putting the right knee in front and bending, with the left one straight behind, but the other side is more difficult. When things are good then have to do standing straight, putting hand flat on your side then sliding down as far as is comfortable. As it's all about getting stretch then it's all pretty slow and just concentrating on getting the right muscles moving. The most useful thing ongoing for me though, my chiroptactor in the UK was great at getting me standing properly, with my pelvis tipped the right way, I'm bad at sticking my butt out and increasing the pressure in my back, so he showed me how to get it set in the right place, so have to keep reminding myself to tuck my tail under and walk tall, but relaxed.

At the wrong tiome of the month, there are all sorts of things going on, you have increased pressure in the pelvic area, and I have a lot of water retention, so everything is that much tighter, but at least it only lasts a couple of days, and then gets back to normal.

We used to have a hard mattress, but found it didn't really help, we eventually chose a firm one, and went for a good quality pocket sprung one, that seems to provide the support that I need in all the right places. I love the mattress we have now, but it is getting old and we will have to look to replace it, when we can afford it. I'm interested in those memory foam ones, they look like they will provide good support, but I've tried a couple in the shops and they feel really strange. When we do have to go shopping, I'll go to a place that gives you a 30 day exchange option that way you get a chance to settle in with it and really make sure that it is comfortable, after all if you count up how much time you spend using a mattress, it pays to splash out on quality, but it has to be right for you ;D The really funny thing though, years ago when my back was treally bad, we were travelling round the UK, and put up at a really quaint Bed and Breakfast. When we got up to the room there was a really old, lumpy looking, soft mattress, with a big dip in the middle. I went to sleep convinced that I wouldn't be able to walk in the morning, in fact I had a fantastic nights sleep, and felt great in the morning, I think that was the only day that I managed to dress myself completely on that trip (at the time husband had to help with getting socks and knickers on, that man has had to put up with a lot ;D)

Offline ex-gymnast

• Regular Poster
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2007, 04:30:39 AM »
Okay saw the doc.  I got a pain shot and will get a series of shots (1 a month for 3 months).  Down to swimming for exercise.  Hope to be runing in 3 weeks.

He said it was a flare up in the knee.  He is having the same problem.  (Even had his running shoes on at work- never seen him do that before)

Hope you all are well.
If I knew I'd be like this now, I'd do it all again.
1998- Lf ACL replace (failed)
1998- Lf ACL replace (worked)
1998- Rt LR
1999- Rt Scope
2000- Rt ACL replace
2001- Rt hardware replace
2002- Rt Scar Tissue Removal
2005- Rt Pattella Scraped
2009- Rt clean-out the mess
To Come: 2 Replace

Offline Berta

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2007, 01:52:27 AM »
Hi ex-gymnast, hope the pain shot is kicking in and working for you. Do you have a pool, or do you have to travel to get swim time? I tried to convince the old man that we needed a pool for me to exersise in, but he can't see it, something about money!!!!!!!!!! Here's hoping that you are back to running soon, but make sure you#re ready before you start again.

Offline ex-gymnast

• Regular Poster
« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2007, 02:09:39 AM »
I drive about a block from work.  Pain shot is doing great.  I am back to a normal walk
 :D
If I knew I'd be like this now, I'd do it all again.
1998- Lf ACL replace (failed)
1998- Lf ACL replace (worked)
1998- Rt LR
1999- Rt Scope
2000- Rt ACL replace
2001- Rt hardware replace
2002- Rt Scar Tissue Removal
2005- Rt Pattella Scraped
2009- Rt clean-out the mess
To Come: 2 Replace

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2007, 09:50:57 AM »
hi,
rm185western - thank you so much for the bed advice, im with you there on being willing to spend a lot on a bed - i mean i spend loads of time in my bed - nah just sleeping mostly :) - so itd be well worth it!! im going to look into the memory foam stuff too - it does look good!!
ive been doing a bit of stretching before doing my 'normal' physio - my back feels fine again, but i keep thinking ive got a twinge!!!

i started cyclying my bike in earnest over the weekend, previously id just been sort of tentatively cyclying round my apartment block for a few laps. well now im doing a circuit that takes around 15 minutes or so, out on the road, up and down hilly bits. everywhere from my waist down is VERY sore :) but its muscular soreness. so im gonna keep up that circuit for a week or so then expand it out, we've got plenty of cycle paths around, so i should be able to just keep lengthening it.... its not hurting my knee itself at all now!! im very pleased with it - even though im stiff as a board and so sore after :) but that should stop soon, its always like that when you start back into cardio.....

ex-gymnast, glad you are getting the pain shots, hope they work for you, at least you can still swim, running is so hard on the knees, fair play to you for being able to run at all!!!

Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline Berta

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2007, 06:44:42 AM »
Tanya, sounds like the bike is working out well, it feels good to have that muscle tiredness sort of pain, rather than injury pain doesn't it. Keep up the good work and building on it slowly, keep up the stretching as well, it all helps.

My news, long, and cut and pasted from another post..........to lazy to type it out again ;D

Well I've got good news and bad news, a whole new range of emotions.................The new Doc was a breath of fresh air, thank goodness. The first good news, NO ARTHRITIS Yippee, but I never believed there was any anyway. Todays diagnoses, a small tear in the medial meniscus, which confirms the PT' view. The swelling around and below my knee, probably due to fluid leaking from the cyst. More good news, the swelling was actually down today, we think that the current balance of walking and resting and use of the cryo cuff is helping. More good news, we went through the same range (and some that are new)of flexion and twisting tests as the physio did months ago, and today I was going ouch, back in April I was going OOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCHHHHHHHHHHH  so it looks like things may be improving.

The bad news side, he thinks that as the original injury was over 9 months ago, it's not actually going to repair itself, so surgery waits in the future. The real bad news, if the OS decides that surgery is needed, the wait could be 2 years, his best advice, if I can afford it, which I can't at the moment, then I should pop down to the states for surgery. He also feels that some of the symptoms in my leg are generated from my back, so will have to follow up tomorrow and see if there is anything on the x-rays we did last week, I'll be suprised if there is anything, I've never had a 'bad' x-ray of my back, only seen problems on the MRI.

Apart from that, the regime I have put myself on, seems to be doing all the right things, the only thing that has been added, is to get myself a knee brace to support the knee during the busy harvest time. Any one got any first hand info on braces?

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2007, 09:07:22 AM »
hi!
wow - thats all great news!!! you must be delighted!!! even the bit about surgery is good - cos at least there is something they can fix!!
why is the wait for surgery so long? if you go to the states for surgery do you have to pay for the whole thing? you should investigate and see is there any other way of getting the surgery done either faster, or less expensive - i know there is a scheme in ireland that if you are more than a certain length of time on a waiting list you can apply for surgery outside of ireland - its quite a specific program, but there may be something like that where you are - or some way of speeding up the process.
sounds like youre doing all the right things, i totally understand what you mean with the Ouch as opposed to the OOOOUUUUCCCCHHHH!!! its fantastic to see progress like that.
im not terribly familiar with knee braces, but im sure someone here will know whats good - start a new topic to attract peoples attention to it.
cryo cuff sounds like its working out good for you too - fantastic!!
so all in all you had a very successful doctor visit - and he at least was 'hands on'!! pity about the surgery, but you will find a way around that, did you ask him what the outcome of not having surgery would be?
ive my OS visit tomorrow. should be fine - the only thing im worried about is the results of my MRI - i can feel so much crunching - im a bit concerned about what will show up. but other than that ive absolutely no doubt he will send me back off to physio to get the strength up more - til those tests show equality between the two legs.
the biking is certainly working on the quads - but i feel it more on my good leg :) probably cos the quad on the bad side is so used to being worked each day - it doesnt get as sore.
its only day 5 of my biking regime and already im feeling i should go further cos its just not hurting enough!!! when i came back in last night after my little circuit my boyfriend asked how i got on and my response was 'it doesnt hurt enough' - he was laughing at me - but i meant the good pain of tired muscles!! so perhaps ill stick to my circuit for the next few days and at the weekend double it......more pain more pain!!!!
let us know how your follow up doctor visit goes.

Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline Berta

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2007, 06:31:56 AM »
Hi there, how did you get on with your OS visit, what was on the MRI, are you back off to pysio? I hope you haven't sneezed or anything recently ;D

I'm really pleased with what the new doc said, I'm going to carry on with everything that I have been doing and maybe I won't need surgery, I don't have my hopes up to far, but can only work and hope ;D If surgery is needed I will have 2 choices, have it done under the Canadian system and pay nothing, or choose to travel to the US and pay the whole cost. The wait is due to not enough OS's and to many patients. I think that I can apply to move elsewhere in Canada if there is a shorter list. I'm just going to wait until I see him and worry about it then.

Apart from that, had a mild accident last week when large Doberman and bad knee came together, had to rest up and ice a lot for a couple of days, but back to normal now. We started combining yesterday, so I spent 5 hours driving and that wasn't to bad, the main problem is getting up and down the steps. Today is worse, 3 hours of combine driving, sandwiched between 2 x 100 mile round trips to get parts, it's been a long day.

Anywy, hope all is well with you, let me know how you are doing

Denny

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2007, 09:27:46 AM »
Hi Denny,
Im absolutely delighted for you that there is a chance you can avoid surgery. Keep up the work and see how it goes. I always think about rehab that even if you DO need the surgery at least the muscles will be strong if you keep working anyway - which helps recovery. But if theres a chance of no surgery - fantastic!!
You probably can apply elsewhere in Canada if the wait is too long - but like you say - investigate that if needs be - until then keep up all your hard work!

Theres always going to be mild accidents - I had a little one too - foot slipped on wet pedal of my bike and landed hard on bad leg. hurt a lot for a second or two but i didnt dislocate which was a miracle!!!

youve to be careful you dont overwork yourself either - and plenty of rest in between combining!!! rest is just as important as exercise!

have been supressing the sneezes - you cant be too careful!!! only sneeze when in a comfortable position!!! hahaha :)

OS visit was excellent. he went into full educational mode with diagrams, charts, drawing things.
Basically he thinks that surgery was a success all those years ago but that subsequent re-injury probably tore out original repair work and that as muscle dysfunction had been introduced as a result of both surgery and subsequent re-injury that its likely my VMO has been quietly wasting away for a long time. I used to have a job on my feet and then I used to cycle to work - he says that these things would have kept VMO from wasting away completely but then when i started driving and had a desk job that any injury since resulted in my 'guarding' VMO and it disappeared with time.
He said he was afraid the muscle was paralysed but that after my 8 weeks new physio he is happy he can feel a contraction in it if i squeeze really hard. He says nerve fibres die off in atrophied muscle and physio/e-stim should induce new nerve fibre growth and that some day a miracle will happen where the amount of nerve fibres reach critical mass and the muscle suddenly starts firing on its own again (as opposed to me having to think to contract it). He said that when that day comes its literally like a miracle, go to bed one night with a muscle thats sleeping, wake up next day with a working muscle. When that joyous days comes I should feel marked difference in instability - and that physio should run much more smoothly.
He thinks I have perhaps 6 months more very hard work on rehab and then another 6 months after that. At some point the miracle should happen :)
So Im back to physio for now - they told me to just keep with the exercises for 3/4 weeks so next appointment at the end of august. Ive to continue getting tested on isokinetic machine and the goal is to have bad leg 5% stronger than good leg on all exercises, plus a visible automatically contracting VMO and if i reach a point where i can stand on the pedals while I cycle uphill then im rehabilitated :)
He does think that I will continue to have dislocations if I stress the joint a lot - unfortunately the joint is just anatomically designed such that its possible to dislocate it - but reckons I should stop having them in every day life. Im never to run hard on it or do any exercies that pounds on the joint cos there is mild degeneration on the back of the kneecap.

The cyclying has been going great, Ive been able to go further and further. I do find it makes my knee ache in the evening afterwards, but that if I cycle for 3 days in a row, 1st day, bit sore, 2nd day, more sore, 3rd day, quite sore. If i take the 4th day off and rest from the bike, the 5th day it feels fine again. So im just taking rest days in between cyclying days and it seems to be fine, Mind you when i started it was much more sore for a shorter distance than it is now for a much longer distance so thats good!!!

So all in all its going well. plenty of hard work ahead but at least the physio is causing changes!
xx
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline Berta

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2007, 11:19:34 PM »
Hi Tanya, sounds like you had a good and informative visit there, lots of info which is great. I'm not sure how I would feel waiting for a miracle, going to bed with an asleep muscle, and waking up with it working, it's like waiting for Christmas, but without an advent calander to help you count down :) It must be a good sign as well if you can slip off of a bike pedal like that and not dislocate, keep up with that cycling, sounds like you are well in tune with things, with your work 4 and rest a day regime, it's always good to feel that you have it under your control. Keep being nice to the back as well.

I now have to admit that my Doc may know more than I give him credit for, I have had a few siezures in my back over the last couple of weeks, but luckily they have let go pretty quick. I am having far more pins and needles in my leg though, which isn't so good, from just a little patch on the front, I'm now getting the whole lower leg going, so it feels like a nerve is being pinched again. I phoned several times to get the results of my back x-ray, but they never had it, so have kind of given up, I'm figuring they would have called me if there was anything interesting to be seen. A freind gave me the number for a holistic practice in a nearby town, she does accuncture and massage among other things, so may just give her a call and try that, you can't beat a nice massage, even if it doesn't cure anything.

Keep up the hard work, and wait for that miracle ;D

Denny

support