Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Tips for reaching the floor!!  (Read 6916 times)

Offline ex-gymnast

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Tips for reaching the floor!!
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2007, 02:51:36 PM »
I can be sitting or standing perfectly still and my kneecap go out. (Never know which one it will be either.) 

I have 2 sets of exercises that I do.  It depends on which one my knee can handle.  On a good day I walk a mile and do strenght work.  On a bad day I do non-weight bearing exercises.  My theorpist sees me once every 3 to 6 months for an eval. 

My life is complicated by the fact that I am an asthmaic and cannot take most anti-inflamitories.  I never go anywhere without some instance Ice Packes, my crutches, and an imbolizer.

O by the way when I put my kneecap back in place I just means that it is only sublexing not dislocated.  I have a permentant sublexing of both kneecaps.  I guess that's what 20 years in gymnastics will do to a body.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 02:54:30 PM by ex-gymnast »
If I knew I'd be like this now, I'd do it all again.
1998- Lf ACL replace (failed)
1998- Lf ACL replace (worked)
1998- Rt LR
1999- Rt Scope
2000- Rt ACL replace
2001- Rt hardware replace
2002- Rt Scar Tissue Removal
2005- Rt Pattella Scraped
2009- Rt clean-out the mess
To Come: 2 Replace

Offline Berta

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • Much to young to feel this dam old, Garth Brooks
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2007, 02:30:59 AM »
Hi Tanya, I was suprised how much difference doing the windows made, felt good and looked good. Triouble was it showed how much the grass had grown, so this afternoon I  took our brand new lawn tractor out and attacked the place in style, so now the view is good as well ;D At the moment it feels like it will be an evening with the ice pack again, but I think I've earned a vodka with ice as well!

ex-gymnast, it sounds that looking after your knees is worse than looking after a baby, every time tyou travel you have to pack especially for them. We are off for a couple of days next week, and my packing list has more on it than it used to, with cane, pain pills, extra cushion for the car, ice packs etc etc.

It must be a real nuisance not being able to take anti inflamitories, they certainly help me.  That sounds such a long time to live with all your problems, I 'm not sure I could cope with knowing that a fix is 10 years away!
6th Dec 2007 arthoscropy, major debridement and meniscus trimmed
Jan 08 2008 Arthritis grade 2/3 told to wait until TKR needed.
August 2010 Left knee arthroscopy

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2007, 08:06:24 PM »
rm185western - have plenty of ice in that vodka - you can rest it on your knee and pretend its medicinal :)
hope youre off somewhere nice for a couple of days - be nice to relax.

ex-gymnast - im so sorry you have such bad knees!!! can you run or anything or are you stuck at the slow walk like me?

i had a fun day, knee was alright, but my glutes are killing me!!! physio has me doing 1 legged squats now, only 5 at a time, but they are hurting my glutes soooo much - clearly that area is weakened from years of compensation too....
so i decided to give my evening physio a miss and try out my bike, havent sat on it since 2000.
got my boyfriend to come out the back of our apartment with me - we have kind of a communal garden with a path that runs the length of 5 or 6 apartment blocks. sat up on the bike, was very nervous, thought id wobble all over the place. i could see he was ready to jump to action if anything bad happened.
took a deep breath.......took off.....and i was flying!!! no hesitation at all, just started pedalling away, no wobbles, left him for dust - actually he was laughing his head off cos he had expected me to have a few tries before i was able to get it right.
so i can confirm its true what they say - you never forget how to ride a bike :)

i just done a couple of laps and then stopped - my legs were tired after only that much, but it didnt really hurt my bad knee at all!!!
so im gonna start using my bike a few evenings a week now - we have a park quite near that i can do laps of.
im really pleased about it - i was afraid itd hurt, or id feel unstable, or i just wouldnt be able for it. itll take time to get up to speed and full confidence on roads and stuff, but thats ok!!

AND - it felt great to be moving under my own power at faster than a slow walk!!!
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline ex-gymnast

• Regular Poster
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2007, 12:35:21 AM »
I can run for about 15 minutes then I am done for the day.  If I wait and run just last thing of the day I can do a little.  I can walk fairly fast though.
1998- Rt LR
1999- Rt Scope
2000- Rt ACL replace

Offline Berta

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2007, 09:13:05 PM »
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR I can't believe it, just got to the end of a post and lost it, this computer has to go, it's done this a few times now, which is annoying, but it's also screwed up my farm accounts program, and if I have to redo all of pur accounts since January I'll be fit to tie >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Any way.........Tanya, WOW thats fantastic, well done, I bet it felt really great to moving at a pace again, I can't belive that you were able to just get on and go like that, as you say 'just like riding a bike' I have visions of your boyfriend just hovering alongside like a worried parent who has just taken the stabilizers of the kids bike. I hope that the knee didn't save it up and compalin later on. Just remember not to out the bad one down to rest on.

ex-gymnast, 15 minutes running with the problems that you have sounds like an achievement to me, I suppose put into context of what you could do before it must be frustrating.

The only time I've tried to run recently I fell flat on my face. I had been warned both by the doc and the physio that helping with the cows would not be a good idea, but an extra pair of hands is always good. I was just looking after one side of the chute, when I saw a cow was trying to back out, I went to run along and slam the gate behind her, and ended up chewing grass ;D

Well we are off to Waterton Peace park in the Rockies tomorrow, it would be one long days drive, but I've convinced Jim that  a 2 day drive would be better, I can't sit in the car for long, so we'll need to stop so I can hobble around for a while. I'm really hoping that the cryo cuff I ordered will be here in the morning post before we go, I'm sure it would be good on the journey. A neighbour dropped in and when she heard where we were off to said, that's great, it's beautiful there, and there is really good hikking. I did point out that maybe a boat trip round the lake may be more my style at the moment, but we'll see how it goes.

Have some good knee days, and take care on that bike.

Denny

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2007, 11:03:19 AM »
hey,
i just hate it when the computer winks out like that!!! grrrrr!!

thats exactly what it was like - my boyfriend standing there, waiting to jog alongside me - then i was gone.....whoooosh!
very funny!! no i wasnt sore later on, so im going to have a few laps round the block of an evening from now on!

ex-gymnast - i cant run at all at all - i dislocate within seconds. no stability for running. 15 minutes is pretty good sounding to me!
rm185western - thatd be me - flat on my face!!

oh your trip to the rockies sounds lovely - make sure you have plenty of leg stretch stops on the way!!
yeah do the relaxing stuff - boat trips, sitting round enjoying nature - it sounds like you will have a lovely time!!

have a great trip - looking forward to hearing from you on your return!

ive my next round of isokinetic testing this evening in physio - im praying my deficit has improved from 44% - will let you know!!

Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline ex-gymnast

• Regular Poster
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2007, 08:29:45 PM »
my runs are done with braces made by my PT.  He put both knee caps in place and then made molds of my knees.  He then used some kind of plaster and plastic to fit  my knee.  I place my knee cap in the correct place and strap on my brace.  If I don't do this then I will end up face down in a matter of sec. 

before my knee problems I ran upto 10 miles a day.  Was talking of doing my first marathon.  Now I dream of doing the Race For The Cure (5k in under 27 mins).  If I can extend my run time in my brace it just might happen in '08.  I don't see it happening this year.
1998- Rt LR
1999- Rt Scope
2000- Rt ACL replace

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2007, 11:04:45 AM »
hi ex-gymnast,
that sounds like an extremely sophisticated technique to allow you to run - amazing - im very impressed!!
where in the world are you - I like the sound of that brace!

keep positive - 08 is another year, you have plenty of time between now and then to get better and better!!!

i had good news in physio yesterday - they strapped me in the machine for the isokinetic testing again and my bad leg had improved in pure strength by 103%!!!! so it had more than doubled in strength (in 5 weeks)!! i was very happy about that. It does feel a lot better in everyday life, although Im still not able to move suddenly or at a great speed. But just strolling around the office or shopping it definitely feels a lot better.
They are testing me again in 2 weeks time and then sending results to my OS for my appointment with him on August 9th.

Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline ex-gymnast

• Regular Poster
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2007, 04:57:53 AM »
Arkansas, USA-  my PT worked hard to find a way for me to be able to do what I want.
1998- Rt LR
1999- Rt Scope
2000- Rt ACL replace

Offline Berta

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2007, 08:37:15 PM »
Hi folks,
Tanya, sounds like things are coming along in leaps and bounds, I'll keep my fingers crossed that it keeps coming, How's the cycling coming along?

ex-gynnast, that sounds like a nifty brace, and it's good to have a long term target to aim at, as well as short term ones.

We had a great break, the mountains were beautiful, and I git to see a grizzly bear and her two cubs, at about 60 yards away, close enough in the wild, I kept measurung the distance tio the car and wondering if I coiuld make it if we had to leg it :) We were standing on a bank above the car, so I figured that I could roll down if needed.

The knee didn't mind the travelling to much, but got fed up with the walking, the back kicked in and complaind about to much car travel. We were getting to motels in the evening, and Jim, bless him, would make me lay on the bed while he went to get ice for me. I would end up laying there with a pack on my knee and one on the back while he dealt with all the luggage. I was aggresive with the ice and the apin killers and everything did settle down. When I got back the cryo cuff I had ordered had arrived, and it's FANTASTIC :) I really wishh that it had turned up before I left, I'm not leaving home for a trip without it until I'm fixed.

Offline ex-gymnast

• Regular Poster
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2007, 12:51:35 AM »
All running is sidelined.  I was doing my normal run last Wednesday.  I felt a small amount of discomfort, not pain.  Two hours later I couldn't stand up.  A week later now and I am still doing ice/brace/meds.  I see the doctor and pt next week.  Wish me luck
1998- Rt LR
1999- Rt Scope
2000- Rt ACL replace

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2007, 09:34:19 AM »
ex-gymnast - good luck. you poor thing, you must have inadvertently caused something to flare up. Youre doc and PT will be able to give you more info. Let us know how you are doing.

rm185western - WOW!!! a grizzly bear and cubs!!! sounds amazing!! im so glad you had a nice break - despite the knee and back icing - but at least you were able to settle the aches and pains that way. Most importantly it sounds like you got some nice R&R. your hubby sounds like a top guy - send him over to me to mind me for a bit :)
ohhh - do tell more about the cryo cuff - sounds good!! I must google it - i never even heard of one before this site - dont even know whatit looks like!

im doing ok - got a good bit of crunching and grinding but it doesnt 'hurt' i just feel and hear it - its like grinding your teeth together - my brain tells me it must be bone on bone but cos its not hurting i dont take too much notice. it diminishes as i improve with each exercise though - i used to have it a LOT on the squats, now I dont feel it at all on them - but I feel it on leg extensions....
my leg feels MUCH stronger. when i wake up in the morning it almost feels like ive a normal knee. then its straight into my morning physio and it gets a little tired, midday physio, a little more tired, and then by the time ive done evening physio and 2 sessions of e-stim - my leg feels old and really tired again :)
but ive had good progress on 'feeling' unstable - i still dont feel like ive got a bionic leg :) - but in everyday life ive much more freedom of movement - and last weekend we did the shopping and wandered slowly round shopping centre for 2 hours - usually id be really unstable by the end of that - but this time i was just stiff and sore - thats an improvement in my book!!
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline Berta

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2007, 10:35:35 PM »
ex-gymnast, real sorry to hear that you are sidelined, it must be very frustrating for you, good luck for your appointments, I hope that you only have a minor glitch there.

Tanya, sounds like you are really going for it there, at least you acn start the day feeling good, I'm sure that stamina will come as you work at it.
Check out this link for cryo cuff info:

http://www.aircast.com/products/

I'm certainly hooked on mine, bought lightly used off of Ebay!

It's hot, very hot here again today, so not to upset that after a couple of quite hectic days, I have a bad knee day today, so am opting for a relaxing day. Don't tell the boys though, but when there back was turned I did pop out and play with one of the horses for a little while ;D

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2007, 09:10:43 AM »
my lips are sealed - i will tell the boys nothing!!!

thanks for the cryo cuff link - it looks like an excellent device, i may browse ebay myself for one! Im glad to hear its helping you out.
yeah you do get the odd bad day when youve been hectic - best just to take things easy when that happens.

Im getting on good with the bike, havent had many opportunities to use it, between bad rain, me being too busy to get a chance to go out on it, but when i do get a chance its good!! it hurts me a little going uphill, but not such bad hurt that you wouldnt do it - more just uncomfortable.
Im back at the physios this evening for my third isokinetic test - had one 2 weeks ago - so be interesting to see what gains ive made in only 2 weeks - if any :) I hope they give me a copy of the printout this time - their photocopier wasnt working last time.

you know where im really noticing a big difference in how my leg feels? in that dangerous place called bed! ive been noticing that ive been moving around much more freely in bed, not waking up to turn over, and stretching more, before i used stretch everywhere but my bad leg - just cos it hurt all the time, now i can stretch it out and its ok!!

back to OS thursday week - 9th of august - my prediction is that he will say 'more physio - see you in 3 months' - im hoping so anyway, id like to avoid surgery if at all possible, although he will have my MRI results so hopefully that doesnt show up anything too serious.
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline Berta

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2007, 06:23:55 PM »
Tanya, so glad to hear that you are at last able to stretch in out and turn over in bed, I believe that will help you heal faster and feel better, it's so draining if you get woken up every time you shift wrongly, even if it settles and you can go back to sleep right away it still takes a chunk out of your sleep time. I'm jealous of that stretch.......husband asks in the morning, 'how's the knee today?' Having just woken up you say 'not to bad', then you stretch and go 'OUCH, well maybe the same as yesterday', by the time I've got up and made my way to the bathroom I can feel it.

How did the test go, any gains?

I've been struggling for a couple of days, so I'm off to the Doc this afternoon, I don't hold out any great hope, but maybe this will get me bumped up the list some. The thing I'm most scared of just now is that the back has been firing off some warning shots recently, it has been really good for nearly 3 years, but I think the lack of exersise and the uneven gait is starting to tell. Wish me luck, I'll let you know how it goes.

Denny