Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Baker's Cyst -- Need advice  (Read 76029 times)

Offline AndrewC

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • User's Text
Re: Baker's Cyst -- Need advice
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2005, 08:23:22 AM »
Hi Run262

Sorry for the big delay in reply! I only just saw your post...

Yes..thats right...I developed the cyst after my repair...though it could apparently be from fluid trapped in this area after the meniscus was healed up..... although I have been told the more likely scenario is that the meniscus still has a small tear in it :(

I hope and pray this is not the case though....
Good Luck
Big bucket handle tear to lateral meniscus from sporting injury. Arthroscopy and meniscal repair carried out June 2004. sloooowwww recovery!!

2018 - torn medial meniscus in RH knee, partial extrusion. ongoing issues,

Offline kelly19819

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2005, 12:04:12 AM »

hi all i am 23 and have suffered with knee problems for 14 years this year i have hyper mobile joints and osgood shaltters in both my knees. a week ago i had what my doctor suspected was a dvt blood clot on my left thigh. how ever tests with the dvt nurses and doctors showed that it wasnt a dvt but in fact a burst bakers cyst that had caused my calf to swell up and go hard cos of the fluid and that out of the cyst i had no idea i had one and all i did was strighten my leg the night before when it burst. my os has got me using a tens machine to try and ease the pain unfortunatley there isup too 10 months waiting list for one.the reaso i am using one is on the same leg a lump type swelling had been found on my ankle and i have had to have been put in a plaster cast on that ankle for 4 weeks and i am not alowed to put weight through it. but hte pain i am still getting in my calf and the burning is very uncomforable so i kno how you are felling

Offline jillsibley

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2005, 07:36:27 PM »
   hi ,can someone please tell me if they have pain like cramp in the calves of there legs, I have been told that I have bakers cyst in the knees, can someone please help?

Thanks jill, London
« Last Edit: September 06, 2005, 11:18:51 PM by jillsibley »

Offline floryed

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2012, 07:02:17 PM »
All,

I got a baker's cyst after ortho surgery.  It started as plica sydrome on my right medial/inside part of the knee.  Plica syndrome is an oveworked tendon that gets shredded and hardens.  I had NO swelling, or issues other than burning some burning on the inner part of the knee, or where the two knees meet when you put your legs together, but very close to the skin as you could feel the heat after a good ride/repetitive motion of 10 miles, as I'm a cyclist and runner.  Prior to this, I could ride 100 miles in a day.  Anyway, I went to see the best sports surgeons in Chicago, and I was told that I needed surgery.  I should have rested it for a few months, but I wanted to get it taken care of.  Anyway, the surgery was to scrape the hardened stuff off, and check the rest of the knee.  There was NOTHING else wrong with my knee.  In fact, the doctor said that it was in great shape.  Went to therapy, and then started riding slowly.  I was good for about 6 months, and then I started to get pain in the back of my knee with swelling...a baker's cyst.  This was the first time my knee ever swelled.  It got worse the more I rode, and it eventually swelled the whole knee.  I stopped the riding but the swelling was so bad that it burst.  I know it broke in the back where the cyst was the biggest.  Back to the doctor, he sent me for more therapy.  By the way; all the swelling was gone in the knee right after the cyst broke, all the fluid went into my calf where it was sore for a month.  After two months of therapy, my calf went down, and my knee looked okay. 

I started back riding and would have pain on the inner part of the knee.  I went back to the surgeon and told him, and he said not to worry, and to just keep working it.  I kept working it, and it swelled again.  I stopped before it got too bad.  The swelling went down on it's own, but I was left with the baker's cyst.  I went back to the surgeon, and he said not to worry, and to push it.

I started riding again, only this time I had no pain, but the cyst was there.  The cyst got bigger and bigger.  I went to see the surgeons in Chicago again telling them I thought that I had a meniscus tear.  Went for MRI, and nothing.  They decided that I probably had a tear, so they did ortho surgery again.  They found NOTHING wrong with my knee, except for the baker's cyst.  They made the drain hole bigger as they said the fluid was getting stuck, and couldn't drain back into the knee, so that's why it kept getting bigger.

It's been 7 weeks since the surgery, and the cyst is still there, but much smaller.  I got a steroid injection yesterday, and was told that in two weeks I can start riding very easily.  If the cyst starts hurting, or gets bigger, than they will have to remove it.

My original question to them is; if there's nothing wrong with my knee, and they did the surgery to prove it, than why did I/do I have a backer's cyst?  The doctor told me it was because I am a fanatic about riding, but what I think is this;  When I had the first ortho surgery, it stretch the knee capsule.  Now that capsule is stretched, and getting in the way of tendons, muscles, etc., and it is causing inflamation, and pain, and because it is stretched, it is easy to build up fluid in part of the stretched capsule and form a baker's cyst.  Now the only way to get rid of it, is to have them cut out the cyst, or effectively remove the hanging/stretched capsule.

Of course the surgeons won't admit to this, and I'm no professional, but what else could it be?  If my knee is good, than what else?  Any thoughts?

Offline kristianfraser

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2012, 04:03:08 PM »
I have had a similar situation to you.  Did you get it figured out?  I just had surgery to remove a cyst behind my knee on September 7, 2012, now nearly 3 months later I have a new bigger cyst on the side of me knee near the hamstring tendon. 

support