Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: crutches  (Read 3270 times)

Offline FindnNemo91

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
    • My Facebook Profile
crutches
« on: June 10, 2007, 01:32:55 AM »
i am just gonna quit using crutches. it makes my leg tired, but i dont think that i could afford more atrophy. i have been on them for 4 weeks and my pt said to stay on them when i was with her, but no one has said anything, so i guess that i have to make myself better.

anyone experience a similar situation,
jak
TTT/Lateral Release/Chondroplasty: May 15th, 2009
Brostrom Reconstruction: Oct 16th, 2009

~United States Army~
Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic

Offline SkibootDr

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: crutches
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 04:50:36 AM »
why are you on them?  what is your injury?
Tim
"Knowledge is experience, the rest is just information"

Offline FindnNemo91

• Forum Faithful
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 06:39:15 AM »
The docs cant find anything and i am so much pain that sometimes it is debillitating. I cant take the pain much longer, but i cant find anything to help it. I have been off crutches for about 10 hours, and i am pain. My calf is hurting and my knee feels bad even in a brace. i am being referred to a fifth doctor. my mom is starting to think that the pain is all in my head, that something emotional is causing all the pain. she thinks that i want something to be wrong, and all i want to do is to find out what is wrong so i can go back to my old self, and be active and play softball. i cannot twist my knee right now, and my foot feels all swollen, even though it isnt. sorry that i am venting, but everyone is starting to think that there is nothing wrong with me cuz nothing showed up on the MRI and the xrays. it tell you, there is something wrong, because pain doesnt just show up to be there because it cant find anything else to do. my mom doesnt want to call the other doc that my OS referred us too, because she doesnt think there is anything wrong. this pain is depressing me, i cant play any sports, and i lost my spot on the varsity softball team. i had a scholarship. (that is now gone) i need help, and i need it fast, because if i cant find an answer to why i am having all this pain, i am just going to stop complaining, work through the pain, completely ignore it, and make it worse. i am starting not to care.

please please please,
a getting depressed
jak

~United States Army~
Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 01:08:57 PM »
hey sorry youre having such a hard time - i understand your frustration.

i have a surgeon saying my knee is stable - ive had 150 dislocations in 2 years - and that i need agressive physio to build up VMO to hold the kneecap in place. I have a physio saying she doesnt think physio alone will stabilise the joint.... so conflicting opinions are just making life confusing!!!

what exactly are the docs saying? are they saying NOTHING is wrong - or that there is something wrong and they just dont know what it is?

what kind of pain are you getting from not using the crutches - is it muscular or can you even tell?
can you not twist your knee because it feels so painful or is there a physical limitation there?

I did experience a LOT of weird pain after a particular bad series of dislocations that all stemmed from me holding myself tensely and not allowing any 'relaxation' of the structures supporting my knee (and hip) because my brain felt like if i relaxed id dislocate. i find crutches difficult for the same reason - youve to 'hold' your leg up to walk with them, it puts a lot of strain elsewhere.

what is your PT saying?

1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline L. Thomas.net

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Louann in Tennessee/USA
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 02:28:07 PM »
Injury doesn't always show up on an MRI.  The MRI's I've had show damage but when they do the surgery they are ALWAYS shocked at how much worse it is than they expected.  This has happened with every surgery and with 2 OS. Once I had horrible pain almost overnight that got incredibly worse every day.  When I walked into the OS office he wasn't sure so he said if he put a marcaine shot in the joint it would tell us if it was the joint.  Immediately the pain was gone so I had the MRI and it showed some damage. 

When I had the debridement 2 days later I had to use a wheelchair to get to the hospital room.  When he got into the knee and he said "Geeees"  He never expected it to be that bad, the cart. was just flaking off and there was a big piece that had flaked off and was caught in a crack.  The next day everything was fine, pain completely gone.  Of course you need to realize "sucking it out" is a temporary fix.  I last about 2 years for me.

I always say crutches are the OS best friend.  I'm not sure what problems you are having with crutches.  If you feel you need to use your leg more but don't have the stability, I would recommend you ask someone about using a walker.  You can't go as fast as crutches but you are more stable and it allows you put weight on your foot and walk somewhat normally  (but you can control how much and it is easy to get the weight off quickly).
« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 02:39:33 PM by L. Thomas.net »
Mulitple Knee surgeries/ TKA: 06  
Left Hip femoroplasty : 08   
Post Op- TKAinTN 06: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=33906.

Offline amy1

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 07:53:47 PM »
Here is a link for crutches that I found much easier to use than traditional ones

http://www.crutches.net/

6/2004 partial lateral meniscus removal and microfracture left knee
7/13/05  open lateral release, medial plication, spur removal right knee
12/06  re do proximal realignment right knee (scar tissue formed ) 5 days post op - fell and fractured elbow
08/2009 - feeling good so far work 50 hrs a week

Offline FindnNemo91

• Forum Faithful
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2007, 07:56:42 PM »
thanks for responding,
my os thinks that nothing is wrong because nothing is showing up on the MRI. i know that everything doesnt show up, but he insists that it would show up. i know that using the crutches has weakened my leg, but i sleep better at night because there is less pain during the day. i cannot twist my knee because of pain and physical limitations. my calf hurts really bad, and my leg feels swollen, even though it isnt. i have to go to school tmw, and i have to return books, which are heavy, especially when i have to have them in my backpack and be on crutches. i have been on them for 4 weeks, going on five. my friend helps, and she is getting tired of helping me. i am trying to survive, but i getting tired of being "gimpy." i have bruises on my ribs. i hate to sound like i am complaining, when there are poeple that have it worse than me, but it has been 8 long years, with 2 and a half years of intense pain. my school is really big and that makes it hard for me to get around even though i have an elevator pass. my mom doesnt think that anything is wrong either cuz the doc says so. i feel like she doesnt believe me, cuz the doc says nothing is wrong, and there is something wrong cuz pain doesnt come and stay for 2 and a half years for nothing. this is the last week of school, YAY!! that is one thing that i am looking forward to. I dont go to PT anymore, because my PT and OS agreed that it wasnt worth it. it wasnt helping the pain, and didnt do any good. it was the same level of pain. my PT never said to get off crutches, so that is where i am wondering if i made a mistake. my knee is sensitive to the touch, and can only bear minimum weight without a brace or crutches. should i continue to use the crutches, so i dont further damage my knee, if that is possible???

please help,
jak

~United States Army~
Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic

Offline amy1

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2007, 08:09:34 PM »
I see in your signature line you mention malalignment.  If you were diagnosed with that, then there is clearly a problem.  Another name for malalignment is patella femoral syndrome.  If that is indeed the problem, then there are surgical approaches that can help.  I have had malalignment for years.  Now I have chronic subluxations, dislocations and NO cartlidge left in two of the three compartments of my knee.  I am trying to stall off a TKR as long as possible.  If in fact there are tracking problems, the longer you wait, the more damage is done.  In my case when I move my knee from a bent position and straighten it, I can see the knee cap shoot way over to the right.  It should track up and down.....not laterally.

Good luck
6/2004 partial lateral meniscus removal and microfracture left knee
7/13/05  open lateral release, medial plication, spur removal right knee
12/06  re do proximal realignment right knee (scar tissue formed ) 5 days post op - fell and fractured elbow
08/2009 - feeling good so far work 50 hrs a week

Offline rach1981

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2007, 08:34:11 PM »
Hi,

I've been on crutches for nearly 5 weeks but I find that adjusting the height can still give you stability required but gradually increase the amount of weight bearing leading to a normal gait pattern. I use the forearm crutch type as pictured in the link. If you have the under arm type i strongly suggest you ask to be given different ones to aid getting around.

http://www.shriverspharmacy.com/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=220

I know it's hard but do try and stay positive. Has a discussion been had on the merits of trying an arthroscopy to check for certain if there is damage rather than just going off what the scan suggests?

:)

Offline FindnNemo91

• Forum Faithful
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2007, 08:40:21 PM »
my OS dismissed surgery quickly. i was referred to another doc, but my mom doesnt want to call him, cuz she doesnt think that anything is wrong cuz the doc says there isnt. i try telling her that i am so mych pain, but she doesnt think that anything is wrong. my PT said that i have scoliosis, but not severe. she said that my vertebrae are compressed because of limping around because of the pain. i didnt respond to therapy, eletrical stim, or massage.

trying to stay +
jak

~United States Army~
Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2007, 10:21:35 PM »
hey FindnNemo91,
I suggest you keep a diary of all that is going on with your knee.
Record pain levels, what makes it feel better, what makes it feel worse.
At the very leats itll give you a detailed record to produce for an OS, and if you show it to your mom she will understand more what you are going through.
I agree with amy1 - if you have been diagnosed with malalignment then there clearly IS a problem.
Can you impress upon your mom that you really feel you need more investigation and want to see the other doc?
Perhaps you could show her this site so that she can read what youve posted and understand what you are going through?
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline FindnNemo91

• Forum Faithful
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2007, 01:12:13 AM »
my mom thinks that it is stress and an emotional problem, cuz of some things that happened in the past. she thinks that i want something to be wrong, and i dont, i just want to figure out why i am having all this pain. she doesnt want to waste more money on docs if they are all gonna say no surgery and there is nothing wrong. i feel awkward telling her that it could be a nerve problem or a cyst or RSD. I feel weird asking for the tests to be done so these could be ruled out because then my mom thinks that i want one of these to be my problem. again, i dont, i am just sick of the pain.

jak :'(

~United States Army~
Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic

Offline L. Thomas.net

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2007, 06:46:45 PM »
I'm a mom of 3 and grandmom of 2.  I think my attitude is different, but it might be because I have had such incredible pain with my knee.  Are you covered by insurance?

Offline FindnNemo91

• Forum Faithful
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2007, 12:52:23 AM »
yeah, but not all that great insurance, cuz my company is mainly an east coast thing, and i am on the west coast. (getting ready to go back to the east coast though)

thanks,
jak

~United States Army~
Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic

Offline L. Thomas.net

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2007, 05:19:51 AM »
That would make me think twice.  You wouldn't believe the difference in insurance plans.  AND this can get expensive especially if there are things not covered or if you have to have a referral.

support