Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Ruptured Tendon ... Seen something like this?  (Read 743 times)

Offline RATM

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Ruptured Tendon ... Seen something like this?
« on: June 08, 2007, 07:48:16 AM »
Hi everyone,

I ruptured the tendon in my right knee (my left knee is in bad shape too), while over-training for basketball (plyometrics, heavy squatting, lots of playing) a little over 1 year ago.  I have been doing physical therapy for almost a year, and I have seen some imporvement, but not much.  Although it's very hard to estimate, I'd guess it is maybe 50% better.  The tendon is still ruptured as of 2 months ago.  My question is, how long should I expect to be in physical therapy and away from playing ball?  Has anyone had something similar happen to them?  By the way, I'm 23 years old, so that should help me out.

In terms of PT, I'm doing lots of bike riding and weight lifting with @ least 20 reps on everything.  Thanks a lot.

Offline Audice

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
Re: Ruptured Tendon ... Seen something like this?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 12:28:14 PM »
RATM ~ Can you give us a better idea of exactly what tendon you ruptured? Thanks...Ellie
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline RATM

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 03:46:02 PM »
I'm pretty sure I ruptured my patellar tendon.  (The Dr. said there's a 90% chance it won't reqire surgery.)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 03:48:01 PM by RATM »

Offline Audice

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 06:42:58 PM »
Can't help you there, RATM, but if you go to the Kneeguru website, then click on Dictionary, you'll find information about the ruptured tendom. What I read there was that surgery seems necessary so the kneecap stays in the correct place. Take a look...Ellie
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline paraprincess

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 09:40:39 AM »
I ruptured my patellar tendon 4 weeks ago and it required immediate surgery to fasten the ends back together and bring the patella back in to position (it dissapears up towards your thigh when the tendon ruptures because there's nothing there to hold it in place) If they say you don't need surgery then you have not ruptured it as that would definately require surgery and within a few days. You would not be able to stand on that leg or lift it up. It's maybe Tendonitis (Jumpers Knee) whcih I beleive is treatbale without surgery.
There is a thread on patella tendon ruptures and surgery http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=8389.0

Good luck
Lynda