Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Had OATS 4/18  (Read 1824 times)

Offline Sharon

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
Had OATS 4/18
« on: April 30, 2007, 12:18:55 AM »
Hi everyone,

I had my OATS about a week and a half ago and am feeling pretty good so far.  I'm not 100% sure on everything my OS did, but I know that I had 2 bone plugs placed on my patella and femoral trochlea as well as some scar tissue removal.  I have to say that the pain hasn't been too bad.  I had one point in the recovery room right when the epidural was starting to wear off when I wanted them to cut off my leg, but that was gotten under control pretty easily with 2 vicodin.  Now I'm on darvocet and am taking 2-3 a day, mostly after I use the CPM.  I got my stitches taken out on Tuesday and my OS gave me clearance to be full weightbearing, locked in my brace at 0 but without crutches if I'm comfortable with it.  I've only walked short distances without the crutches so far because it's still a little painful and it's really hard to walk with the brace locked at 0.  He wants me on the CPM 2-4 hours a day and said that my goal should be to get to 90 by 10 days to 2 weeks after I saw him.  I got to 70 degrees today so I'm working towards it.  I'm starting PT tomorrow which should be fun, especially since my quad is completely gone but I know that always happens after I have surgery.  So things are going pretty well and my OS is very optimistic about this working.  I'm keeping up hope that this will be the one that finally works for me.  I'll keep you updated.

:)
Sharon
Left knee:
LR-5/99 & 9/01
Distal realignment and LR 7/02
TTT revision 6/03
screw removal/MUA 10/03
d/x with severe patella baja
7/05 patellar tendon replacement w/piece of quad tendon
4/07 OATS

S_501

Re: Had OATS 4/18
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 12:42:52 AM »
Sharon,
are you gonna be able to return to sports after this oats?

Saida

Offline Sharon

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 04:13:02 PM »
Hi Saida,

The only sport that I ever did was skiing and I know that I'm never going to be able to do that again.  After all of the surgeries I've had my OS said that it wouldn't be safe for me and my knee might not be able to handle the stress that it would take.  Other than that I was never really into sports so it's not something I've spoken to my OS about.  Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Sharon
Left knee:
LR-5/99 & 9/01
Distal realignment and LR 7/02
TTT revision 6/03
screw removal/MUA 10/03
d/x with severe patella baja
7/05 patellar tendon replacement w/piece of quad tendon
4/07 OATS

Offline mineemowse

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2007, 12:42:16 PM »
Hi Sharon--

I'm so glad that things are going well for you. I know it's one heck of a surgery, from experience.

Take care and continue your improvement!

Donna
'98 torn meniscus
'99 arthriscopy repair
'02 cartilidge replacement injections
July '06 arthriscopy cleanup
Oct. '06 Oats Allograft procedure (failed)
May '07 arthriscopy cleanup
Dec. 3 '07 - TKR

Offline maile433

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • My goal is to be the person my dog thinks I am.
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 12:26:14 AM »
Sharon,

Haven't heard from you in a while - everything going OK?  I hope the recovery is continuing to go well.

Sarah
7/03 RK medial meniscus repair & partial lateral meniscectomy
2/04 RK partial medial meniscectomy & microfracture
1/05 RK medial & lateral partial meniscectomy & microfracture
8/06 RK OATS autograft LFC + LR