Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Hylan Injections  (Read 3829 times)

Offline crawdaddy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Hylan Injections
« on: June 24, 2003, 12:27:15 AM »
Anyone ever had synvisc injections? I have moderate osteo. in both knees and will probably try the injections next week. Can anyone tell me about the success or failure of the treatments?
loracnyer

Offline westview5579

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
Re: Hylan Injections
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2003, 03:08:53 AM »
Hi,
I had Synvisc last fall, both knees, one was successful the other was not. Some people seem to get really great results from the stuff and others do not. So I would say it's worth a try, I will probably repeat it in my left knee some time this fall, I won't bother with the right, the stuff is very pricey so it's best if it works.
LR-Right 5/3/2002, LR-Left 7/12/2002 Synvisc both Sept 2002, LR, MR, Meniscectomy, Chondroplasty Right  5/16/2003, Right TKR 12/19/03 Cellulitis, 12/27/03, MUA 1/23/04,  RSD 2/12/04, MUA 4/6/04

Offline crawdaddy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2003, 06:12:31 PM »
HI, can anyone out there tell me if their knee pain gets worse after taking allergy medicine,namely clarinex aka aerius? When my sinus headaches flare up, I take a pill and sure enough my knee pain worsens. If I dont take the pil my pain is less. Will someone please tell me I'm not imagining it.
loracnyer

Offline JorJor

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2003, 06:17:53 PM »
Hi there!
I am currenly on my 7th series of injections and have used all 3 of the drugs on the market. I have had the most success with Hyalgen with Supartz a close second. From my understanding, Synvisc is not used much anymore as it seems that the other 2 drugs can be more effective with less side effects (Got this info from my OS). I have been using this type of drug for over 3 years and would definitely recommend it. If you would like some specific information about me and my results from this treatment feel free to email me ([email protected]).  Hope this helps a little.

Jori
5 surgeries (2 Micro-Fractures)! 8 rounds of Synvisc, Hylogan(sp?) & Supartz.  5th Scope 2/13/03 chrondoplasty & rp m. meniscus. Won't let it stop me...walked 60 miles in 3 Days for Breast Cancer.

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2003, 11:58:12 PM »
I tried it but it did absolutely nothing for me. Not only that, but the last shot was excruciatingly painful.

Offline Riosilia

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2003, 06:49:19 AM »
I also had synvisc.  They worked for about a year.  Even though they made the pain better (so I could walk for longer periods of time) I still have some pain.  I think even if it works it doesn't take ALL the pain away.  But if you are like me and some of the other people in this board, every little bit of pain relief helps.  

Oh!  One thing I should warn you about.  I had some swelling, stiffness, and increased pain for the first couple days after the injection.  Just so you know.

~Riosilia
98- first patelllar dislocation
99- LR + debridment
00- proximal (VMO advancement) + distal (TTT medialization) realignment
03- MPFL repair, lat retinaculum repair, patellar microfracture
09- Patellar osteochondral allograft + MPFL reconstruction
10- ant interval release + partial synovectomy

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2003, 01:51:11 AM »
Hi!

I'm a synvisc veran too.  I had it in my left knee first and it was starting to help--so we did my right knee--but in the  meantime, I broke  my foot.  The awkward gait and all-round mobility issues stoe the benefit from the synvisc right from under me.

I know an older lady who has indefinitely put off a tkr because of the great benenfit she had gotten from synvice.  My uncle was able to  do three rounds of it over several years and put off tkr'sfor a long time.

I think as with so many treatments for  knees and OA--this  one works differently on each individual.

As for  the pain involved--I thought these injections were a lot easier to deal with than cortisone.  Again, this seems to be unique to each individual...

Good luck with whatever you do!  Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
Scope on rt knee,9/00;2/01
scope w/ LR and debridement rt knee 2/02
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
Complications MUA 8/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline crawdaddy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2003, 02:13:07 AM »
hi, I wanna thank all you kneegeeks out there for responding to my query about taking synvisc  injections. From your mostly positive feedback I feel more confident about my upcoming appointment which has now been postponed to the 11th of july.Naturally I can't wait to see some relief from the nagging pain and sometimes mild depression that accompanies moderate osteoarthritis.I'm a very active person; walking, golf, swimming, fishing, windsurfing, etc. and anything that can help me to continue to perform with reduced pain without surgery, I will surely try. I'll be sure to check back soon after my course of injections.
                       seeya
loracnyer

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2003, 02:16:31 AM »
Good luck on July 11th--I hope these do the trick for  you....I would have tried  them again if that would have been an option.

Take care, and let us  know how they work out!

Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
Scope on rt knee,9/00;2/01
scope w/ LR and debridement rt knee 2/02
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
Complications MUA 8/14/03
R TKR revisio

support