Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Iontophoresis  (Read 557 times)

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
Iontophoresis
« on: June 06, 2007, 04:37:30 AM »
So have any of you been treated with Iontophoresis?  They put the medication on a little pad, place it on your leg, hook you up with wires and turn the volts on.  Three years ago I had it numerous times on my right knee - I do think it helped somewhat.  However, in pt yesterday he did it on my left bad knee.  I was just wondering what you all thought of it.

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
Re: Iontophoresis
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 05:39:28 PM »
Iontophoresis can be quite effective if used correctly.  It is best used for tissues that are close to the surface such as the patellar tendon since Iontophoresis has a very low penetration depth.  To get a great concentration of medication in the area the self contained pads that are worn for a longer period of time are much more effective.  Other modalities applied alongside the Ionto can also effect it's effectiveness.  Ice can actually deactivate some of the medications since they are most active at body temperature.
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Offline clkimbro

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Iontophoresis
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 07:53:10 PM »
My OS decided I should try this as a last resort before he sent me off to surgery.  I had 3 treatments a week for 2 weeks.  After the first treatment my knee did feel better, but the remaining treatments did not help.  I had problems before with my knee giving out and it seemed to get worse by the end of the two weeks.  This treatment may not have been right for my condition.  In the end, I saw no improvement at all.

support