Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Arthritis on knee - 23 year old  (Read 8650 times)

Offline garythegreat

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Arthritis on knee - 23 year old
« on: June 03, 2007, 02:58:21 PM »
I had surgery last week to remove my screws and plates from tibial plateau fractre, they put a camera up into my knee to have a look and confimred arthritis was starting at one corner of my knee.
Im a 23 yo male that was big inot sports until this accident. WIll the arthritis prevent me from playing soccer?

Is there anything I can now while im still young to prevent it getting worse/to ease the pain and stiffness?

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
Re: Arthritis on knee - 23 year old
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 03:02:47 PM »
You'll have to ask the doctor about the soccer. I'm sure you can play but it will cause your knee to degenerate quicker. There's nothing you can do to prevent arthritis. But you can prolong the life of your knee by keeping it mobile. I blew mine out at age 15 and had arthritis within 10 years. But I biked, swam and kept my knee strong and it lasted 34 years before I needed a PKR.

Offline kneegeekgirl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 06:34:21 PM »
Yes, you should definitely check with your doctor about the soccer, but I would imagine he or she will say it's ok, as long as you're careful.  Exercise generally is good for arthritis and keeps the cartilage from drying out.  However, you'd want to avoid any more injuries, especially those requiring surgery, as much as possible because surgery is a "trauma" to the knee, and trauma to the knee may cause or exacerbate arthritis.  You should read a great book called "The Arthritis Cure" by Jason Theodosakis and Sheila Buff.  In that book, they explain why exercise is good for arthritis and why lack of exercise is bad.  Also, they give a ton of information on ways to help prevent getting arthritis and ways to help keep it from getting worse if you already have it.  It's my bible!   

Offline vernetto

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • never give up!
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 08:57:36 PM »
hi garythegreat, IMHO if you have arthritis you should avoid high impact sports and favour more gentle activities like bicycle, cross country sky, rollerskating etc.
But yes, by all means keep your knee mobile every single day of your life, cartilage gets nourishment by motion and compression and keeping the knee at rest
is a death sentence for it;
have a healthy balanced diet, avoid alcohol in excess, ice your knee once or twice a day, stay fit, watch your weight
and most likely your knee will last you until some cartilage-regrowth technique will become available (avoid any surgery while you can!).
Patellofemoral pain, poorly tracking patella

support