Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Knee Buckling, no pain, been on crutches for two weeks  (Read 4554 times)

Offline aubreyda

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee Buckling, no pain, been on crutches for two weeks
« on: June 03, 2007, 10:24:51 AM »
So for a while I had this progressing knee pain.   I would get it in the back of my knee when running, cycling, dancing or bending my knees a lot.  After a days rest though it would usually go away until I exercised again and the pain would only last the rest of the night... and be gone in the morning.

One day at the gym I got this really intense pain while cycling.  So I stopped and went home early.  It wasn't really that bad so I just limped around on it. 
I live in San Francisco so I have to walk everywhere.. this includes huge hills.   Within the next couple days the pain went away.. but I was left with a limp and maybe some stiffness.  I couldn't pin point where the pain was coming from (because there wasn't enough of it) just that my leg "wasn't working" and I felt the weakness coming from my knee.

So after not walking on it for a while I had to run some errands for finals.  I walked around for about an hour and it was fine.  Then it seemed like it started to get tired.  And just did that same "Not working" anymore.

So the day after my calf was really stiff (still limping) and I stretched it.  I thought I felt something kinda pop.. and then my leg just wouldn't support itself anymore.  The pain wasn't that intense.. just maybe pins and needles every once in a while after standing on it for too long.

My boyfriend took me to urgent care and the doctor x-rayed my knee for a stress fractor.. found nothing.. stretched my leg various ways.. nothing hurt except  when she dug her fingers into the back of my knee.    She concluded that it was just an inflamed muscle that would get better in the next week.  She told me i'd probably be able to start walking again soon.

So here I am over two weeks later.. still on those damn crutches (not fun in san francisco) with leg weakness.  My knee doesn't hurt at all. I wouldn't even know it's injured except that it gets tired after longer distances.  I can walk around the house just fine.. it's the long distance walks (half a block).
I can't really describe how it feels except that it's just really weak.  I've noticed recently that some small pain has begun to shoot to the front of my knee. But it doesn't seem like enough for this to be an injury.

I've been doing a lot of research online.. I can't seem to find anything that really fits what I have. 
I read that other muscles such as the Gastrocnemius and Biceps Femoris can send pain to the knee.. but I did a calf injury test I found online.. I didn't feel any pain in the spots it described. 

-I have no swelling that I can see. 
- I'm 21
-I have had calf injuries in the past
- no previous knee injuries
- been running for a couple years
- ran three times a week
- I have very little pain
- My knee almost feels like it's buckling
- it works fine if I got short distances (around the house)
- limping, weakness starts happening in longer distances (half a block)

plleassee help...... I want to start running again.. it's been a month.  I'm getting really worried about my knee.  :'(

Thanks and sorry this was soo long!  :o

Offline Audice

• Global Moderator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
Re: Knee Buckling, no pain, been on crutches for two weeks
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 11:04:51 AM »
aubreyda ~ Welcome to this forum & sorry to hear what you're going through. Now's the time to make an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon (OS) so you can get to the bottom of what's going on in your knee & before you do further damage. An OS might suggest an MRI which can be more revealing than an x-ray. Wishing you well...Ellie
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline Kai

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 02:26:58 PM »
the pop and the buckling are classic symptoms of ACL rupture..  the pain at the back of the knee and the chronic stuff before it are not...    see a good sports medicine doc...    good luck
ACLR - (patellar BTB autograft) left knee - May 31, 2006
Partial Lateral Meniscectomy right knee Feb 20, 2008
Partial Lateral Meniscectomy right knee Aug 11, 2008

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 03:06:33 PM »
I agree with the others, see an orthopedic surgeon. I tore my ACL completely in half along with my lateral meniscus. I had no swelling and walked around pain free after the initial injury. An unstable knee will eventually collapse on you when you least expect it. Besides being extremely painful it will likely cause further damage to your knee.