Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 2 weeks out of surgery/immobilizer question and more.......  (Read 802 times)

Offline Winter

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
I  shattered my patella, 60%-40% split, but the bottom 40% was in 7 pieces, pins, wires, etc. yes, I am miserable  :) I Fell in the parking lot at work, 53 yr. old female, no health problems. My big crisis is my house is a maze of stairs and after reading posts on this forum I am worried, so any thoughts on dealing with that would be helpful.

I have a couple of basic questions, hope they are in th correct place:

They put me in an immobilizer that is about 16", black foam and closed completely in front. I am very short 5', it kept slipping, so I went today and bought an 18" but it is open in front. Is that OK? The staples are out and just the butterfly strips are on at this point. It feels a lot more secure.

Next...The OS said if the bottom shatter does not bond I could loose the bottom half, or possibly the whole patella. He scared me to death....any thoughts?

Offline ataraktos

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: 2 weeks out of surgery/immobilizer question and more.......
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 02:17:49 AM »
I'll admit it -  I have gone up and down stairs before on my rear end ... that was over a decade ago and only a few stairs to get in and out of the house. I eventually got used to my crutches but if I had *flights** of stairs to negotiate on crutches with a busted leg now, something tells me that I'd probably use that technique again, especially for going down stairs. LOL, and especially inside the house where no one else could see! :-)

Don't know much about broken patellas but I do know that I'd try *everything* I could to get that baby to bond! Until I met a lady in my OS's office with a severely broken leg (that my OS wanted to amputate), I didn't know there were other ways encourage bones to heal besides casts and pins. Might not apply to small shattered bones but it's be worth seeking 2nd, 3rd, 4th...opinions b/f consenting to take the patella out. The lady I mentioned went for a second opinion, changed treatment and was walking w/ cane in 3 months!

Might would ask OS' about open front vs closed front immobilizer since your broken patella is in the front and you don't have a cast ...

Best of luck to you. Hang in there!