Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: What a day!  (Read 713 times)

Offline kraizeemom

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
What a day!
« on: June 02, 2007, 02:16:18 AM »
Actually, two days.  I went to Iowa City yesterday (5-31-07) to have my right shin pain evaluated.  Dr. Albright reviewed the symptoms and ordered a bone scan to be done.  The earliest it could be done was today (6-1-07), so I scrambled to find a place to stay for the night.  Anyway, had the bone scan, so much fun.  The tech kept zeroing in on my ankles, which to me, was making me a bit nervous.  He asked if I have had pain in my ankles.  I said not really, and he continues to run more pictues, and seemed very focused on my ankles.  The doctor that reads the scan came out and talked to me, asking me what surgeries I've had, asked about the fulkersons a little, and then started in about my ankles!  They sent me down to the sports medicine clinic to get preliminary results from my doctor, who was out for surgery today.  A physician assistant began to tell me some about the bone scan results after I waited for about 1/2 an hour.  She then got called away, because she had damge to her home in Muscatine from the tornado they just had!  So all I got was this: there was an increased uptake in my shin, which may or may not be normal from the fulkerson that I had.  They are treating it as a stress fracture, come back in 3-4 weeks. And then she very quickly said that she thought my ankles were ok after some extended study.  I had to ask her for the ankle information for her to tell me that much.  My question: What is an increased uptake mean?  Anybody know? 
Also, I have an order to have p.t. for hamstring strengthening...If I have a stress fracture...? And then they gave me 2 medication prescriptions without saying much about them.  Is it safe as far as anyone knows, to take diclofenac sodium and tramadol together?

Thanks

Angie
Recurring dislocating patellae, chondromalacia, PFS, LR Jan 2000, LR Mar 2000, bilateral Fulkersons w/medial patellar tendon transplants 2005, RSD, hypersensitivity, stress fracture, loose bone fragment from fulkerson 2006, rotatory instability, acl defieciency

Offline kraizeemom

• Regular Poster
Re: What a day!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 02:17:22 AM »
Oh, and it is very fun to drive I-80 during a thunderstorm on a sore right leg... never try it... ::)
Recurring dislocating patellae, chondromalacia, PFS, LR Jan 2000, LR Mar 2000, bilateral Fulkersons w/medial patellar tendon transplants 2005, RSD, hypersensitivity, stress fracture, loose bone fragment from fulkerson 2006, rotatory instability, acl defieciency

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 04:17:07 PM »
Increased uptake doesn't mean anything specifically other than that area needs to be investigated further using some other kind of test. Could mean a fracture, tumor, infection, etc.

The drug question is something you should ask your pharmacist. They are experts on such things and will likely know what else you're taking if you use the same place all the time. Doctors don't generally hand out drugs that are unsafe so I wouldn't worry about it.

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 04:27:50 PM »
Those drugs together are perfectly safe.  It is a relatively common practice to combine an antiinflammatory drug with a pain medication.  Some studies have indicated that in combination they act synergistically so you can take less of the each individual drug than you would need to if you were taking only one. 

The hamstring strengthening will be fine even if you have a stress fracture.

I was watching the storm on the news and it was nasty.  I was actully trying to hurry up and get on the road to chicago before the storm hit my area.  Just as i got on I-88 the tornado sirens started to go off, but since I was ahead of the storm and it wasn't tracking straight east so I kept going.  It was pretty freaky to look in my rear view mirror and see the pure black sky behind me.  You must have gone through the main part of the storm on I-80, I saw that is was tracking through some of the smaller towns right off the interstate.
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Offline kraizeemom

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 05:11:38 AM »
I'm a storm spotter for my hometown, so it didn't bother me too much to drive through it, but I was caught rather off guard by all of it.  I was just thrown off enough being in Iowa an extra day period. 

As for the medication, yes I did talk to my pharmacist.  She said it was fine.  I have a lot of drug allergies, so always on the lookout... it kinda borders paranoia how nervous I am to take a new medication.  They are both working great, though!  I haven't been this free of pain for quite awhile!  I'm a bit more of a happy camper now!

The leg is doing alright... I do need to get off of it more, but mom of 4, a CNA, and a housekeeper...well, those jobs aren't sitting jobs, y'know?  Don't believe me, ask my 2-yr-old.  I guess I like what I do too much to change.  I guess I may never learn...lol.

Thanks for the replies! I really appreciate all of the care you guys have taken to respond.

Have a great day!  ;D

Angie